Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I found this aerial that was published with an article appealing for information on a white ute. That isn't Russell's ute in the clearing, it looks like a dual cab but I wonder how close this was to their campsite. There's also a couple of other vehicles in amongst the trees.

I'll try find the article again.

View attachment 1298020

With no idea when this image was taken, it appears to show the car the police were looking for as connected to potential witnesses on the night before Russell and Carol showed up. I've enlarged the image and there's what might be a dark blue 4WD, the back end obscured by trees.

WNcampareaaerial.png

With no idea when this image was taken, it appears to show the car the police were looking for as connected to potential witnesses on the night before Russell and Carol showed up. I've enlarged the image and there's what might be a dark blue 4WD, the back end obscured by trees.

View attachment 1298282

i note the bonnet is a different colour, as was mentioned of GL's patrol by someone at some stage.

imho

Are we still running with the killer drawing a picture of the scene on the 4wd in charcoal like earlier in the thread?

you're so funny

not drawn in charcoal but rather smudged into the smoke damage, and while you appear happy to pisstake at my expense, i never actually gained the impression that any of you were running with the idea.
but since you did bother to mention it again i'v made some further observation.
although the initial media image of the vehicle at the campsite clearly depicts something irregular.
while both ends of the back canopy are marked from smoke damage, the centre of the canopy appears to be unharmed.
having studied the image asking why that's so, and having watched a few videos on fires and patterns of smoke damage to see if i could come up with a reasonable explanation, i finally wondered if something had been placed in such a position that it may have protected the canopy's centre from becoming as smoke damaged?
a4cc52655281a4ffc8d8ba20489fb64c.jpg

in close up
e0abf83763e36a3c4a6d2b50a7eff1d4.jpg

again, view from the 60minutes doco
79b71eb0aee6b9e87a2dd10a7366d30c.jpg

again from ACA after the vehicle was returned to RH's home, and in which the smoke damage appears to be more evenly spread
5ed5396c49b93b2bfae124875d72fa13.jpg

and again in close up
7674aa667e05c7c0e2ee1bc3a806fde7.jpg

interesting observation i thought,
and not here for an argument.

imho

you're so funny

not drawn in charcoal but rather smudged into the smoke damage, and while you appear happy to pisstake at my expense, i never actually gained the impression that any of you were running with the idea.
but since you did bother to mention it again i'v made some further observation.
although the initial media image of the vehicle at the campsite clearly depicts something irregular.
while both ends of the back canopy are marked from smoke damage, the centre of the canopy appears to be unharmed.
having studied the image asking why that's so, and having watched a few videos on fires and patterns of smoke damage to see if i could come up with a reasonable explanation, i finally wondered if something had been placed in such a position that it may have protected the canopy's centre from becoming as smoke damaged?
a4cc52655281a4ffc8d8ba20489fb64c.jpg

in close up
e0abf83763e36a3c4a6d2b50a7eff1d4.jpg

again, view from the 60minutes doco
79b71eb0aee6b9e87a2dd10a7366d30c.jpg

again from ACA after the vehicle was returned to RH's home, and in which the smoke damage appears to be more evenly spread
5ed5396c49b93b2bfae124875d72fa13.jpg

and again in close up
7674aa667e05c7c0e2ee1bc3a806fde7.jpg

interesting observation i thought,
and not here for an argument.

imho
So sad that someone would do that to an elderly couple have a nice holiday away.

nissan patrol isn't a dual cab ute regardless of whatever colour GL's vehicle was at the time.
but could the search for a white twin cab have perhaps been a police red herring to have GL of the belief that police were on the trail of someone else?

imho

I know a dual cab is different to a patrol, I wondered if that bit was a red herring, but the colour white was inspired by what they thought the nissan patrol was based on the rego. But probably not because if they had the rego from the camera they would know it was a darker colour from the camera.

I found this aerial that was published with an article appealing for information on a white ute. That isn't Russell's ute in the clearing, it looks like a dual cab but I wonder how close this was to their campsite. There's also a couple of other vehicles in amongst the trees.

I'll try find the article again.

View attachment 1298020
From memory, that aerial photo is of the Police setup at the scene. There are others taken on the ground that show a white dual cab and the blue marquee at a distance to the RH/CC camp-site, which IIRC was on the opposite side of the clearing (below and to the right in this shot)

I believe the appeal for the white dual cab was for info re who they'd seen in the valley in the days prior as it was stressed the vehicle had been seen there on the Thursday.

I see that damage as being the lines that were attached to the tent awning coming away from the tent itself and burning up to the rig of the truck where they were attached. The lack of damage in the centre would be explained by the collapse of the awning itself.

Did police release to the media that they were looking for a white dual cab because they already had GLs rego but assumed it was white from the rego?
I don't believe that was the case. They said that the white dual cab had been seen in the area the day before RH/CC arrived. I reckon it was more for info on who/what the occupants of that vehicle had seen in the lead up. Which would make sense if the report of the man speaking with the driver of a blue 4wd with trailer on the Wednesday is correct. They would be scoping out more info on where GL had been camped to debunk his attestation that he hadn't seen the pair.

View attachment 1298282

I think this might be aerial view of the search for the couple. This picture (below) is of similar vehicles, taken from a different angle.

1639608557507.png

What would be more annoying?
  • A drone buzzing overhead?
  • Listening to people talk rubbish over a crackling cb radio?

I see that damage as being the lines that were attached to the tent awning coming away from the tent itself and burning up to the rig of the truck where they were attached. The lack of damage in the centre would be explained by the collapse of the awning itself.
i'd already tried to visualize that, but having only seen remnants of the campsite in the aftermath of its destruction, would be interested to see any older pics where RH's typical set up could be seen, tho none have surfaced afaik, nothing's filtered through via any social channels, i'v no recall of any mention on the subject other than - at an early stage, where the notion of foul play was still under consideration - when RA (radio buddy) said RH would never have had a campfire within such close proximity to his vehicle.

imho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'd already tried to visualize that, but having only seen remnants of the campsite in the aftermath of its destruction, would be interested to see any older pics where RH's typical set up could be seen, tho none have surfaced afaik, nothing's filtered through via any social channels, i'v no recall of any mention on the subject other than - at an early stage, where the notion of foul play was still under consideration - when RA (radio buddy) said RH would never have had a campfire within such close proximity to his vehicle.

imho
If you look at the charring on the ground in the first pic, there is a distinct tent footprint and then another to the front and toward the 4wd (yellow lines)which correspond to where an awning/tarp would be attached to the vehicle and there were burnt remnants of rope attached to the rig and on the ground (circled). In the second picture, you can see there is a blue 2 burner gas stove, water container and what appears to be a blue bag similar to that used for plates etc in RH's rear compartment behind him. Coupled with the esky under the vehicle in close proximity, debris that appears to include egg shells by the rear wheel and a report from one of his camping mates that RH cooked at the vehicle rather than the tent, I'm tipping that the awning was up to shade/protect the gap between the tent and the car cooking zone.
RH car original disc camp kitch.jpg RH gas stove.jpg

Edit: It's common practice in camping circles to chuck egg shells on the ground while cooking and sort them out later. if I'm right and they are egg shells, that could mean they had already eaten, but not yet had an opportunity to clear up completely.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that there is a timing issue. According to once source, Lachlan Culcain said the blackberry sprayer heard/saw the drone flying over his camp and others at around 4.30pm. However, another source had Lachlan Culcain reporting the incident occurred "in the late evening". I'm thinking that the blackberry sprayer was only ASSUMING the drone was the one owned by RH, because I'm not certain he would have been able to see who was flying it as they were not camped in the same clearing and were separated by bushland. When asked about a drone flying I guess he just said yes there was one flying over camps about 4.30pm. If, in fact, GL was also flying a drone then it could have been that early. If it was 6-6.30pm, then it could have been RH flying HIS drone. He might have heard a drone flying at both times? Still fits with the theory of GL assuming RH had picked up his missing drone and wouldn't give it back!

I reckon if I had a new expensive drone, I'd manage to at least crack a smile. I know it's only hearsay, but plenty of comments on here about RH being grumpy and unfriendly. No reason to kill, or even assault, someone of course, but none of his photos published in the media exactly give off a happy camper vibe. (And photos aren't always representative of someone's personality, I know.)
This pic was posted up in another public forum by one of his radio buddies (not RA) if it helps? He said it was taken in 2013 at the same camp spot but down where the concrete firepit is (the prime site I’m guessing). But you’re right, apart from this one I haven’t seen any of RH looking very chipper.
2A8451BB-2B06-4F7F-B103-7D7E0CE822FA.jpeg

I'm assuming that there is a timing issue. According to once source, Lachlan Culcain said the blackberry sprayer heard/saw the drone flying over his camp and others at around 4.30pm. However, another source had Lachlan Culcain reporting the incident occurred "in the late evening". I'm thinking that the blackberry sprayer was only ASSUMING the drone was the one owned by RH, because I'm not certain he would have been able to see who was flying it as they were not camped in the same clearing and were separated by bushland. When asked about a drone flying I guess he just said yes there was one flying over camps about 4.30pm. If, in fact, GL was also flying a drone then it could have been that early. If it was 6-6.30pm, then it could have been RH flying HIS drone. He might have heard a drone flying at both times? Still fits with the theory of GL assuming RH had picked up his missing drone and wouldn't give it back!

The Blackberry worker said he believed Hill was flying the drone and this is what the musterer Lachlan said. We know this occurred in the late evening because Russell Hill didn't finish his radio sked with Rob Ashlin until 6.40pm. There has never been any reference to Lynn owning a Drone and if Lynn killed Hill and Clay over Hill's drone flying it reiterates the theory that Lynn didn't like drones. When discussing what the Blackberry worker said it is prudent to include the fact that he also thought that Hill flying the drone over his campsite was "disrespectful". While many people think that flying the drone over other peoples campsites is trivial I can assure you most people think the opposite. Certainly no reason for a normal person to kill anyone.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here - Dry RIver the key to what exactly?. Entering the valley from ZS track, you cross the Dry River which runs North East, to the Wonnangatta River. The campsite is almost at the junction of the two, to the South East. The suspension bridge is a foot bridge only, there is no vehicle access. If you take a look at the terrain on the other side of the river, you will see why.

Maybe this map will help. Looks to me like RH CC were camped on the southern side of Dry River and GL was on the northern side.

1639616505842.png

I'm thinking that the blackberry sprayer was only ASSUMING the drone was the one owned by RH, because I'm not certain he would have been able to see who was flying it as they were not camped in the same clearing and were separated by bushland. When asked about a drone flying I guess he just said yes there was one flying over camps about 4.30pm. If, in fact, GL was also flying a drone then it could have been that early. If it was 6-6.30pm, then it could have been RH flying HIS drone. He might have heard a drone flying at both times? Still fits with the theory of GL assuming RH had picked up his missing drone and wouldn't give it back!
Unless perhaps Russell was driving along the track with it? And the blackberry sprayer saw/described his vehicle? I think I read somewhere that you can set that particular drone to follow your car. The valley is a few km’s long, so maybe he wanted to fly it all the way up to the homestead and wanted to be up there with it?

ETA - Russell wasn’t flying his drone 6-6.30 like you suggest, because he was on his ham radio call at that time, which according to one of his radio mates, ended around 6.40pm.

Last edited:
This pic was posted up in another public forum by one of his radio buddies (not RA) if it helps? He said it was taken in 2013 at the same camp spot but down where the concrete firepit is (the prime site I’m guessing). But you’re right, apart from this one I haven’t seen any of RH looking very chipper.
View attachment 1298454

To be fair to Hill it is thought he didn't smile very often because he'd had allegedly had his front teeth punched out in a fight. So eventually he had some dentures made to replace his missing teeth. It is also thought he was not someone to back down in an altercation and so it's reasonable to assume Lynn and Hill did have an altercation and Hill would have stood firm and this would have angered Lynn who has often been referred to as a "Narcissist". We can't be sure what happened after the altercation other than the fact we know Lynn killed 2 innocent people and went to great lengths to try and hide their bodies and any evidence.

. Hank Williams on the cd? (Oh lee oh lady o, oh lee oh lady o, oh lee oh ladeeeee ee ee).
Nothin' gets me more riled up than country music. On my first visit to (mentioned in another thread) Crescent Head I met a(nother) guy who heard me playing guitar in my tent and invited me over for a jam. I get to his onsite van and it turns out he has a number of gold records... How the f*** do you jam with a guy that has gold records, especially in a genre you hate with a passion??? https://www.macleayargus.com.au/story/2052939/les-partell-joins-country-music-elite/

Maybe this map will help. Looks to me like RH CC were camped on the southern side of Dry River and GL was on the northern side.

View attachment 1298468

Lady O that's not what Detective Stamper says in the sixty Minutes show. He points clearly to where Hill and Clay were and they were both on the southern side. Also if they were on opposite sides of the river how would Lynn have put the bodies in his trailer on his own? at the 15 minute mark Stamper shows they were very close to each other.

To be fair to Hill it is thought he didn't smile very often because he'd had allegedly had his front teeth punched out in a fight. So eventually he had some dentures made to replace his missing teeth. It is also thought he was not someone to back down in an altercation and so it's reasonable to assume Lynn and Hill did have an altercation and Hill would have stood firm and this would have angered Lynn who has often been referred to as a "Narcissist". We can't be sure what happened after the altercation other than the fact we know Lynn killed 2 innocent people and went to great lengths to try and hide their bodies and any evidence.
Yeah no I agree with everything you’re saying. Was more just to show he didn’t always look so grumpy :straining::D

Back