Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not convinced about JL yet. Certainly not a disastrous tenure as coach at this point but it's concerning how we don't show up against the better sides time after time. The second Derby this year was an exception.

Injuries and a young list are realistic contributing factors in the teams inability to mount a challenge to the top side in the first year's of JL's coaching tenure however he needs to get better results to warrant this extension at this stage imo.

I sincerely hope he can get us back into finals and then into the upper part of the 8 by the end of this extension. Best of luck JL
Lyon’s last we were 9-13 with a percentage of 91% with a list average age of 23.8 years

J Lo last year 10-12 with a percentage of 87% with a list average age of 24.0 years.

Both had a horrible amount of injuries.

Based on that you wouldn’t extend J Lo’s contact.

Why do teams go early on coaches?

They do it to avoid media talk.

I’m not calling for J Lo head but if we were 0-6 next year he should be sacked.

Now we have no flexibility if the wheels fall off.

J Lo hasn’t proven that he can coach a team winning more games than they lose.

If we have a half decent run with injuries, what do you think the chances are of us going 0-6 next year?

Lyon’s last we were 9-13 with a percentage of 91% with a list average age of 23.8 years

J Lo last year 10-12 with a percentage of 87% with a list average age of 24.0 years.

Fair point. There must be more to it than just that I'm guessing.

Depends on who played from those lists though. Haven't we routinely had the youngest onfield 22 from the last 2 years?

Lyons last season was also his 8th season with 3 just as crap years prior. Longmuirs had 2 seasons with a list he had next to to no input on & has shown improvement in key areas from year 1-2.

We’re going through a mini list rebuild now, because it wasn’t done right in the first place, with recent draftees not really impacting for another 2-3 years. He has the right to develop them for his game style.

Additionally, as part of the players review each year, the coach is discussed. If he’s got the trust of the players, the why wouldn’t you show trust in the coach & back them all in.

No excuses from now on.

Lyons last season was also his 8th season with 3 just as crap years prior. Longmuirs had 2 seasons with a list he had next to to no input on & has shown improvement in key areas from year 1-2.

We’re going through a mini list rebuild now, because it wasn’t done right in the first place, with recent draftees not really impacting for another 2-3 years. He has the right to develop them for his game style.

Additionally, as part of the players review each year, the coach is discussed. If he’s got the trust of the players, the why wouldn’t you show trust in the coach & back them all in.

No excuses from now on.

What does no excuses look like from a win/loss perspective?

What does no excuses look like from a win/loss perspective?
Hes now got 3 years to execute his plan, which should mean by year 2024 we are top 4. If we win more than we lose next year, that’d be great, but it’s more about game development & continued improvement in our stoppage work, inside 50 entries & accuracy on goal.
There will be inconsistencies with our performances over the next 2 years as we integrate even more young players, but those young players are important to any finals success.
With the age demographic of our list I’d want to finish 6-10 next season, 4-7 2023 & top 4 2024. I dont think that’s unreasonable & any negative decisions on his future should be made during 2024.
For me anything better than that in the next 2 years will be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No excuses from now on.
Isn't it nice not to cringe when you pick up the paper each morning now as well.

Off-field we're so far ahead of where we were it's like chalk and cheese.

Given we haven't made finals yet I think the extension was premature.
We've got to be realistic as to where the squad's at (consistently one of the youngest teams out on the park last year). In the reality of a squad that's developing and with a rookie coach, five years is a perfectly logical period to be given.

In that context, it'd more require evidence for them not to allow five years (ie them being a shambles and/or uncompetitive in those first two seasons).

To the contrary, the evidence so far has been promising (in some trying circumstances).

We've got to be realistic as to where the squad's at (consistently one of the youngest teams out on the park last year). In the reality of a squad that's developing and with a rookie coach, five years is a perfectly logical period to be given.

In that context, it'd more require evidence for them not to allow five years (ie them being a shambles and/or uncompetitive in those first two seasons).

To the contrary, the evidence so far has been promising (in some trying circumstances).
This is partly correct but in context the rebuild started in 2017.
A line in the sand has to be drawn sometime.
2022 is 5 years, if we are not on the improve with that list something is not right?
Any coach would like what we have compiled, looking from the outside.
Even JLo is expecting a rapid rise.

Hes now got 3 years to execute his plan, which should mean by year 2024 we are top 4. If we win more than we lose next year, that’d be great, but it’s more about game development & continued improvement in our stoppage work, inside 50 entries & accuracy on goal.
There will be inconsistencies with our performances over the next 2 years as we integrate even more young players, but those young players are important to any finals success.
With the age demographic of our list I’d want to finish 6-10 next season, 4-7 2023 & top 4 2024. I dont think that’s unreasonable & any negative decisions on his future should be made during 2024.
For me anything better than that in the next 2 years will be a pleasant surprise.
Hang on, hasn't he club said three top 4 finishes and a flag by 2025? Inconsistent performances over the next two years and only worrying about game development might be a realist/pessimist assessment, but it's not the club's assessment

Hang on, hasn't he club said three top 4 finishes and a flag by 2025? Inconsistent performances over the next two years and only worrying about game development might be a realist/pessimist assessment, but it's not the club's assessment
Hang on, I’m not the Fremantle FC & was offering my opinion based on a question & from my experience in footy.
I’m not trying to sell the club to corporates & potential members, although I do applaud the goal setting.
Some on here are questioning the timing & length of the extension & are wanting the coach under more pressure.
He’s under plenty of pressure with the plan as laid out by the club & has 2 & 1/2 years to prove himself as 1 more year is definitely not enough.

This is partly correct but in context the rebuild started in 2017.
A line in the sand has to be drawn sometime.
2022 is 5 years, if we are not on the improve with that list something is not right?
Any coach would like what we have compiled, looking from the outside.
Even JLo is expecting a rapid rise.
The line in the sand was drawn at the end of 2019 with the sacking of Rosich and Lyon.

So how can you add those years to the new start in 2020?

Don't think we should take arbitrary targets set to sell memberships and/or hope during a sustained period of poor performances as binding in terms of deeming a coach a success/failure 3-4 seasons in.

Don't think we should take arbitrary targets set to sell memberships and/or hope during a sustained period of poor performances as binding in terms of deeming a coach a success/failure 3-4 seasons in.
How would you deem success then? At the moment it seems that success is based on the vibe of the thing plus the fact he isn't Lyon.
The club can't have it both ways. I'd actually support giving him an extension now if they really did think internally our list is miles off and we need to spend a couple of years not focused on results but focused on development. That is when you do want a coach to be under no pressure and allow him to play the youth.
But all the rhetoric is the opposite. Fyfe came out at the start of last year and said he expected to play finals. The club has now doubled down on that. They obviously think we have a list to challenge. So it seems premature to extend him until he proves he is the one that can harness that and actually get enough wins, not enough good vibes or potentials. Get those wins then by all means extend him if we are sitting pretty in the eight by the bye or beyond next year.

How would you deem success then? At the moment it seems that success is based on the vibe of the thing plus the fact he isn't Lyon.
The club can't have it both ways. I'd actually support giving him an extension now if they really did think internally our list is miles off and we need to spend a couple of years not focused on results but focused on development. That is when you do want a coach to be under no pressure and allow him to play the youth.
But all the rhetoric is the opposite. Fyfe came out at the start of last year and said he expected to play finals. The club has now doubled down on that. They obviously think we have a list to challenge. So it seems premature to extend him until he proves he is the one that can harness that and actually get enough wins, not enough good vibes or potentials

It was more of a comment on the constant rhetoric about finals, premierships etc. It's not just our club by any stretch but it all seems a bit silly to set these concrete targets to me, even though I know it's probably a necessity. The reality is far less black and white given that things like injuries, COVID and losing players have undoubtedly influenced our trajectory of development along with the success of each individual season.

Longmuir's done pretty well all things considered. I agree with the extension (more than 2 years would have been too much) to provide a bit of backing to him and the group to show that the people calling the shots think we have a good mix and are willing to provide some short term stability. At the same time though it creates this situation where fans are justifiable going to question what he's done in the context of our 5 year plan to deserve it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back