Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
You said on and off field when you made your argument. We have at best stagnated on the field. The results we have had under Longmuir would not have been accepted under the previous coach.
Lyon had a 4 win season and stayed on for another 3 years.

Seesh - some short memories around here.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Coming off our best 4 years in the clubs history...

We then went down and were tracking upwards under Lyon, since JL took over we have stagnated
Stagnated? or delivering the same results as Lyon but also attracting good coaches, no off field drama, harmony among the playing group, actually doing media and turning them onside with our club....

Last edited:

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lyon had a 4 win season and stayed on for another 3 years.

Seesh - some short memories around here.
Cherry picking much?

And since then his teams improved and in two seasons JL has made a one win improvement and a lower percentage. That is what we are talking about. Sheesh - some selective memories around here.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
Stagnated, or delivering the same results as Lyon but also attracting good coaches, no off field drama, harmony among the playing group, actually doing media and turning them onside with our club....
as haselby said the other night, all reports to him are it's a happy place down at Freo atm at all levels and it hasn't been like that for many years.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal

We then went down and were tracking upwards under Lyon, since JL took over we have stagnated
Cherry picking much?

And since then his teams improved and in two seasons JL has made a one win improvement and a lower percentage. That is what we are talking about. Sheesh - some selective memories around here.
Saying that Ross' teams were "improving" or "tracking upwards" is just as selective tbh. We had one big year of improvement from 4 wins to 8 wins, then 3 years of 8, 8, and 9. Hardly inspiring.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Cherry picking much?

2017 - 12th 8 wins
2018 - 12th 8 wins
2019 - 13th 9 wins

who had the 1 win improvement?

Cherry picking much?

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I'm not saying he should be held accountable, more that it's in his benefit.
3 years of players playing in a different system is to his benefit? The only benefit is that younger players put some muscle on and some game experience but any new coach gets that..

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I agree, but I'm realistic.

We've recently lost Neale, Hill, Langdon, Hogan and Cerra to other clubs.

McCarthy, Kersten, Matera, Conca are all gone from the first 'rebuild' and Hamling looks cooked.

That's a truck load of talent JLo has to replace.

It's remarkable we're not bottom 4.
Serious? Several of that first batch of names are pre Longmuir, and most of the second batch leaving are nett positive.

And what's with the "Hamling looks cooked" comment? There may be competition for a KPD role but Hamling will be at the front of the queue by some margin.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

I don't see stagnation even though results kind of support that. We have lacked depth in our list and in our support staff. I see significant change there. Building foundations isn't stagnation.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Serious? Several of that first batch of names are pre Longmuir, and most of the second batch leaving are nett positive.

And what's with the "Hamling looks cooked" comment? There may be competition for a KPD role but Hamling will be at the front of the queue by some margin.
I'm certainly not knocking the guy, but he has played 1 game in 2 years.

I'd love him to come back and demand a spot ahead of Cox and Pearce. He's got the talent, but he's coming from a long way back.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
3 years of players playing in a different system is to his benefit? The only benefit is that younger players put some muscle on and some game experience but any new coach gets that..

the majority of the list needed to be turned over, only 12 players from 2017 are still here. Forget politics about who's head coach, it's silly to think we were going to be competitive and playing finals in 2018/19, it takes time to go through a legitimate rebuild. but I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that now when you look at the list, which is 5 years in now. I sincerely like Longmuir, but don't understand the desire to give him a low bar for expectations, which I don't even think will be agreeable to anyone when/if the reality of a poor first half of a season eventuates.

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Lots of interesting thoughts being expressed in here.
I'm quite happy to see JL get the extension, as has been said, a new coach worth his salt usually needs a period of time to bed in the changes and for list turnovers to occur. I've always believed it to be unreasonable to turf a coach after such a short term, unless Mark Neeld walks through the door. At least 5 years if I had to pick a number.

Sure, Lyon got us going fairly quick by comparison when he arrived but our list was pretty mature to a point and his tactics worked very well.

This time we've done a proper draft cycle and need that maturing to happen before we can hope to contend. Obviously, we've drafted quite well so expectations build from that too but I think JL is proving to be capable in many coaching facets.

Relating to our off field leadership, I think back to the Rosich/Lyon hey day (sooooooo long ago :p) and recall the wonders they did in pumping up our "presence" in the AFL landscape and I do remember people spruiking that around here and myself as well. I think both of those individuals brashness and arrogance helped in that and in the end, the club benefited from that.
In saying that, I do think we have people in place that are currently doing a stellar job (Bell, Garlick (though, not here long enough yet to rate impact), Wells are the public faces). I feel like this group is a more sophisticated lot and, also as said before, I find it hard to fault the decision making too.

I think we've generally been a sizable club for the last 15 yrs or so but are just now wielding that capability more effectively in recent times.

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Are we forgetting that if things turn to sh*t, and we need to let him go, we only have to pay out 6 months? Not the whole contract.

the extension now shows faith in the direction, and removes the perceived pressure from external for a while. Gives the players confidence to re-sign and extend as well.

It’s an important step, showing the confidence to extend early, but is not the handcuff many seem to think it is
I thought that was only for AFL assisted teams?

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
The idea that a 2 year contract extension relieves pressure is a bit misguided. JL has one job, and it's to win a flag. That job doesn't change because we've said he can have a go for two more years after this one. He's also not kicking back in his lazyboy breathing a big sigh of relief, the weight of expectation from a success-starved supporter base will be plenty.

We have been talking constantly about sustained success, and the clubs with sustained success have all backed in their coaches for the whole journey. The 5 year plan being released already meant the club was going to stick with JL - if you reckon we're a better shot of making top 4 with a brand new coach than we are with the incumbent then you're dreaming.
I will say to this that because JL has a memorable playing history with us, he has more grace in my book. It helps to see that he can coach too heh heh

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
2017 - 12th 8 wins
2018 - 12th 8 wins
2019 - 13th 9 wins

who had the 1 win improvement?

Cherry picking much?

Based on your stats he had a 4 win improvement and then the same and a one win. Are you saying JL didn't have a one win improvement? I don't understand your point. Some posters are talking about the improvement at the club under JL. You mentioned it being on and off field. I simply stated going by wins and percentage we have been pretty much stagnant. Those are the stats.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't see stagnation even though results kind of support that. We have lacked depth in our list and I'm our support staff. I see significant change there. Building foundations isn't stagnation.

This is a better argument than we are just 'improving under JL'. I think part of this is the perception driven by good social media, they have improved drastically. I hope our assistants are better, but am not sure we can know. They don't have a massive amount of experience, but the feeling around the club is positive so that is a bonus.

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
This is a better argument than we are just 'improving under JL'. I think part of this is the perception driven by good social media, they have improved drastically. I hope our assistants are better, but am not sure we can know. They don't have a massive amount of experience, but the feeling around the club is positive so that is a bonus.
I know what you're saying about being unable to know the quality of our new assistants, training watchers may have some idea but we never see the behind the doors stuff, really.

I like to think that the new guys like Carr, Corey, Boyd played long illustrious carriers because they were good at understanding the coaches game plan and taking it on. Add on that they're all highly regarded personalities and that should translate to good communication and translation of those skills to the players.............I hope.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Surely only injuries keep us out of finals?

JLo's got the cattle, and I think he coached us well enough to make finals last year - we missed out due to losing a few very winnable games, and channeling Stevie Wonder in front of the sticks. Fix just one of those and we're in.

Oir fixture list is ok - I'll be disappointed if we don't double up on the Eagles, and at least split with Carlton.

We stay healthy and I'm feeling bullish, and not in my usual unrealistic Freo offseason way.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
There will be 2 factors that will determine whether Freo will make finals or not..... Injuries are one. The other is the fixture of the games, especially close games vs teams trying to make finals.

Interesting that Freo extended Justin Longmuir deal until 2024 and did it before his final season of his contract.

I am for one that wants stability. But it seems the Freo Board have confidence in Justin Longmuir.

I am not fully convinced. Personally I would of waited until halfway into the season or late in the season to renew.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Club has gone early on this, hope it doesn't bite us
that's what I am worried about.
But he's getting sacked next year if we don't make finals! :rolleyes::tearsofjoy:
if Freo are 3-7 after round 10 or even 0-5 after 5 rounds with the fixture we have got, questions will be asked

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
People saying Lyon stagnated are ignoring the massive list turnover that was occurring in those years, the development of players was on the up and has aided Longmuir but he still can't get more wins on the board

Longmuir took over 4 years into a rebuild, Lyon "stagnated" while turning over the list in years 2 and 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back