Player Watch Josh Rachele - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely there's more 1st round picks who get a second chance at another club even without playing a single game at their original club

Than there are 3rd round picks who do the same

I don't know... first round picks tend to get at least a few games just based on the reputation that comes with being a first round pick in the first place.

Ignoring the 2020 draft as it's still very early, from the 2015-2019 period there are only three first round picks yet to play a game for the club that drafted them, let alone then being picked up by a second club. Ely Smith (Pick 21 2018, Brisbane), Jez McLennan (Pick 23 2018, Gold Coast), and Cooper Stephens (Pick 16 2019, Geelong). All three are still at their original clubs.

I'm pretty sure you have to go back to 2014 to find a player taken in the first round who never played a game for their original club, but then went to another club. Jarrod Pickett (Pick 4 2014, GWS) who was traded to Carlton in 2016.

I mean, in the case of Krakouer, the Suns had free reign to poach an uncontracted player from each club in the AFL. Presumably Krakouer was just the best available option at Port and they figured, why not. Got a few games out of him while they were getting established, and then let him go.

With Atkins, they went out of their way to woo him over with a mammoth deal. I'll admit to being a bit of an Atkins fan, but the offer they made him was absolutely ludicrous.
Atkins problem too is he can be a good player in a good side, but generally has never been a good player in a bad side and it's obvious to everyone which one Gold Coast has always been.

Wrong, but its a nice sounding cliche though.

Clubs put significantly more resources into high draftees, they are afforded more liberties and gifted more opportunities. Ya think the club would have let No 71 draft pick Aaron Kite stay in Melbourne in 2008 like they did Patrick Dangerfield?

If you are drafted high it also means a big advantage in getting a 2nd chance at AFL level. sh*t, just looking at our club alone do you think we were able to trade away Fergus Watts & John Meesan based on their AFL play or the fact they were 1st round draftees? Do you think delisted players Darren Pfeiffer & James Sellar are given 2nd chances at other clubs for another other reason than they were first round draftees?

Daniel Gorringe survived 6 seasons in the AFL based purely on the fact he was a top 10 pick.

Graham Johncock dislikes this.

Me too. Fun player to watch when he was at his peak. His game had a bit of everything.
I remember hearing that before he was drafted Stiffy kicked 150 goals in a season for his local men's A grade team, as a 15 or 16 year old.

Amazing considering we essentially played him as a career back pocket

He looks very good in the preseason videos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rachele or Rozee, who'll have the best season next year?
Should I put my bets on Rachele or is that being just a bit*too* cocky??

Actually, while we're at it, Butters vs Shoenberg?

Duursma vs Cook?? Be a big effort by Cook to win that one. The following year however....

Duursma vs Cook?? Be a big effort by Cook to win that one. The following year however....
Duursma looked shithouse when he came back from injury. May have been underdone though.

GROTTO this is your cue to post the gif.

The last one not really bow and arrow is massively overrated

I think he us way iover-rated

He cost port that final against WCE when he dropped a sitter chest mark in the F50 under little to no pressure

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You mean vs Richmond in the Prelim?
2teams1cup-gif.987819

Zero physical pressure. Perceived pressure yes, but thats a choke.

That dropped mark cost them the momentum of going into half time leading against the reigning premiers.

Made by.................

flashcrow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back