Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
I love watches, can't deny that.. but, even with what I guess I could say is a reasonable income I could never justify spending.... above $4k for a watch, really. I just think I could be better off spending that elsewhere. Not to say I would judge anyone doing it etc.

I did say to myself though that if I got a promotion (which is more or less coming) that I would treat myself to "the most expensive watch I've ever bought" - but this isn't all that hard given it only has to be >$800.

Having said that... what is a good, modern/young? watch for about the $2-$2500 mark? I find so many of the watches I see look like they're for 50yo grey poupon types.

I like the look of this style lately; with the steel mesh band:
1616651363037.png

I might even buy that Hilfiger watch anyhow given it is only $250ish lol - but I am definitely aiming higher..

Thought about then instead of another Ironman but they are way too big and bulky.

I have one bulky gshock (really nice, black outside, gold face). The other is the mudman 9000.

My third gshock acquired a few weeks ago is blue, colour coordinated the purchase to match a particular shirt, shorts and basketball shoes that I own :).

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love watches, can't deny that.. but, even with what I guess I could say is a reasonable income I could never justify spending.... above $4k for a watch, really. I just think I could be better off spending that elsewhere. Not to say I would judge anyone doing it etc.

I did say to myself though that if I got a promotion (which is more or less coming) that I would treat myself to "the most expensive watch I've ever bought" - but this isn't all that hard given it only has to be >$800.

Having said that... what is a good, modern/young? watch for about the $2-$2500 mark?
It really depends what you are after. The watches people spend a lot of money on (and people like me drool over) tend to be mechanicals, which are bought more for a love of their engineering and craftsmanship than any practical reason.

Mechanical watches are a lifetime expense though - more than one person has bought a Rolex for $6K without realising it has to be serviced every five years at $1K+ a pop.

If you just want something stylish to go on your wrist, stick with quartz. They’re cheaper, more reliable and more accurate than mechanical watches and require virtually no maintenance. For a few hundred dollars you can have your pick of a million beautiful options.

The only watches I would suggest staying away from are luxury fashion watches. Paying $2K for a cheap quartz movement because it’s got the name Tag Heur slapped on it is crazy, IMO.

Poetic Justice

Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
It really depends what you are after. The watches people spend a lot of money on (and people like me drool over) tend to be mechanicals, which are bought more for a love of their engineering and craftsmanship than any practical reason.

Mechanical watches are a lifetime expense though - more than one person has bought a Rolex for $6K without realising it has to be serviced every five years at $1K+ a pop.

If you just want something stylish to go on your wrist, stick with quartz. They’re cheaper, more reliable and more accurate than mechanical watches and require virtually no maintenance. For a few hundred dollars you can have your pick of a million beautiful options.

The only watches I would suggest staying away from are luxury fashion watches. Paying $2K for a cheap quartz movement because it’s got the name Tag Heur slapped on it is crazy, IMO.

Yeah I appreciate that with your interest in watches that is where you stand on it - makes sense - and if it makes no sense to spend $2k on a watch for style reasons then what do you do?

I feel like many people would spend $$ on a watch for its engineering but I would have to say many people would spend up big just for status.

I'd like a watch where people that go "gee I love your watch" - I'm that guy - but I also don't want to spend hugely heh

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal

Truer words have never been spoken. Since offering quartz watches Tag have devalued their brand substantially and the resale values have plummeted.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i used to be interested in high-end watches but the disdain the companies treat their customers with, and the hype east culture, is beyond a joke.

good with my Apple Watch, couple of mid range seikos and a gshock.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Having said that... what is a good, modern/young? watch for about the $2-$2500 mark? I find so many of the watches I see look like they're for 50yo grey poupon types.

I like the look of this style lately; with the steel mesh band:
View attachment 1085615

I might even buy that Hilfiger watch anyhow given it is only $250ish lol - but I am definitely aiming higher..
If you are still looking...
This is what I would be looking at for the style you are after and at your budget.
Screenshot_20210420-230030_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210420-230013_Chrome.jpg

Swiss watch with 100+ year history
In house movement based on Valjoux 7750
28,000 bph
60 hour power reserve.
Under $2k
Thoughts outabounds ?

Na get a watch from a watch company I reckon not a fashion label watch, you’d be better off buying a $250 Seiko IMO
This this this this.

Yeah I appreciate that with your interest in watches that is where you stand on it - makes sense - and if it makes no sense to spend $2k on a watch for style reasons then what do you do?

I feel like many people would spend $$ on a watch for its engineering but I would have to say many people would spend up big just for status.

I'd like a watch where people that go "gee I love your watch" - I'm that guy - but I also don't want to spend hugely heh
Watch engineering comes in four levels.

Level one- quartz. Tells the perfectly time but uses electric means to do it. (Consider it a photograph)

Level two- Basic automatic. Encapsulates the brilliance of human ingenuity, using a multitude of infintisimally tiny cogs, springs and wheels constantly in motion- spinning, turning and slowly expanding so as to measure the passing time with such amazing accuracy that days are timed to within a few seconds. All this in something the size of a 20 cent coin. (Consider it an amazing work of art)
Here is a video of a $250 Seiko as an example- awe inspiring.

Level three- Quality automatic. Does the above only better. (Consider it as an amazing work of art by a famous artist in a nicer frame).

Level four. Prestige automatic. Does the above except every tiny cog, wheel and spring is its own work of art (Consider it as a masterpiece by Da Vinci)

Poetic Justice

Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
If you are still looking...
This is what I would be looking at for the style you are after and at your budget.
View attachment 1107709
View attachment 1107710

Swiss watch with 100+ year history
In house movement based on Valjoux 7750
28,000 bph
60 hour power reserve.
Under $2k
Thoughts outabounds ?

This this this this.

Watch engineering comes in four levels.

Level one- quartz. Tells the perfectly time but uses electric means to do it. (Consider it a photograph)

Level two- Basic automatic. Encapsulates the brilliance of human ingenuity, using a multitude of infintisimally tiny cogs, springs and wheels constantly in motion- spinning, turning and slowly expanding so as to measure the passing time with such amazing accuracy that days are timed to within a few seconds. All this in something the size of a 20 cent coin. (Consider it an amazing work of art)
Here is a video of a $250 Seiko as an example- awe inspiring.

Level three- Quality automatic. Does the above only better. (Consider it as an amazing work of art by a famous artist in a nicer frame).

Level four. Prestige automatic. Does the above except every tiny cog, wheel and spring is its own work of art (Consider it as a masterpiece by Da Vinci)

Awesome advice thank you! :thumbs up:

I really do like the look of that Mido watch - can you actually go somewhere and see one in person?

William Wonka

May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Awesome advice thank you! :thumbs up:

I really do like the look of that Mido watch - can you actually go somewhere and see one in person?
David Jones stock some Mido models.
That one isnt on their website that I could see but might be worth asking in store, you will certainly be able to see similar Mido timepieces and get a feel for them.
If you buy instore you will pay a premium over what they go for online however.
Screenshot_20210421-200932_Chrome.jpg

Poetic Justice

Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
David Jones stock some Mido models.
That one isnt on their website that I could see but might be worth asking in store, you will certainly be able to see similar Mido timepieces and get a feel for them.
If you buy instore you will pay a premium over what they go for online however.
View attachment 1108309

yeah get that but would like to see them in person and buy cheaper online heh

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast

I was very close to going towards a rolex but ended up going with a Bulova for 1/50th if the price. Really happy with the decision though i still think about the Rolex every day

Bulova

29D84229-FA9F-473B-ACE1-805A2DC7700B.jpeg

Dream Rolex

512A10BF-6345-4660-A640-38D81868A1ED.jpeg

I was very close to going towards a rolex but ended up going with a Bulova for 1/50th if the price. Really happy with the decision though i still think about the Rolex every day

Bulova

View attachment 1172636

Dream Rolex

View attachment 1172637

Rolex's are good but they are TOO popular, IMO too their determent.

If you are lucky enough to get one at a retail price than 100% go for it, but paying $14,000 for a S/S second hand sub is disgustingly stupid. The one in your photo is closer to $60k

Poetic Justice

Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Are Seiko and Fossil watches considered good/cool?

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Short answer, it depends and people will agree/disagree as watches are subjective.

Seiko relative to other watches at their price-point, yes.

Fossil less so as they're a fashion watch, but they pair well with a summer outfit if you're under 35.

On the grand scheme of watches hierarchy both are a no, but don't let that stop you from purchasing and enjoying either brand.

Poetic Justice

Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Short answer, it depends and people will agree/disagree as watches are subjective.

Seiko relative to other watches at their price-point, yes.

Fossil less so as they're a fashion watch, but they pair well with a summer outfit if you're under 35.

On the grand scheme of watches hierarchy both are a no, but don't let that stop you from purchasing and enjoying either brand.
Fair call.
I’m really at that struggle point of only wanting to wear a notable watch but not yet able to justify the expense (can afford it just don’t want to)

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fair call.
I’m really at that struggle point of only wanting to wear a notable watch but not yet able to justify the expense (can afford it just don’t want to)

If you don't want to spend the cash then set a limit and find a watch that you like that comes under budget. There's no requirement to fork out $X for a watch before people will take you seriously, ensuring it matches your outfit or the occasion is 90% of the presentation anyway.

One of my favourites that I've got is a $50 quartz watch with a red rubber strap that gets a run during the summer as it's ideal for water and pairs well with a beach outfit, where my expensive everyday watch would look out of place.

Jaguar and Citizen are other brands you could also take a look at for an entry level price point.

wear what makes you feel good

don't worry about others, as they probably have different taste anyway no matter how awesome your watch is

William Wonka

May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seiko make some of the most expensive and highest craftsmanship timepieces in existence with their Grand Seiko line.
They have a 140 year history make in house movements and have dozens of $1k-$5k automatics that will take the Pepsi challenge against Omegas and Rolexs 10 times their price.

Cool is harder to quantify but I like their style
Screenshot_20211222-100408_Chrome.jpg

Fossil are a fashion watch

Back