2022 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I pay my membership knowing I likely won’t get full value out of it.. but I see it as a donation to the club. If others believe they are getting ripped off and spit the dummy I do understand that too.

Mine rolled over at the end of last month, not sure if that’s the same as everyone else? I just wonder how many Victorian members would have rolled over with the fixture had they known?

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
I pay my membership knowing I likely won’t get full value out of it.. but I see it as a donation to the club. If others believe they are getting ripped off and spit the dummy I do understand that too.

Mine rolled over at the end of last month, not sure if that’s the same as everyone else? I just wonder how many Victorian members would have rolled over with the fixture had they known?

Reckon at least half would have given the middle finger and said ‘* you’ (to both the club and the AFL). Pretty convenient roll over happened prior to the fixture.

That 40% discount too hey.

GWS get more games than us in Melbourne, FFS.

Can someone explain to the club what "membership" means? It doesn't mean "here's an awesome client list for you to sell". I know AFL memberships are semi-shareholders, semi-customers, but still, this is pretty poor.

It's not an "exclusive offer from our partners". It's blatant spam "buy something to enter a raffle". We're reaching peak member monetisation now...
1639721348561.png

Can someone explain to the club what "membership" means? It doesn't mean "here's an awesome client list for you to sell". I know AFL memberships are semi-shareholders, semi-customers, but still, this is pretty poor.

It's not an "exclusive offer from our partners". It's blatant spam "buy something to enter a raffle". We're reaching peak member monetisation now...
View attachment 1299012

Got to keep the lights on somehow.

I thought that's what the pokies were for? :p

I get a bit miffed with this club at times... I know to the club I am just a number, but their job is to make it seem like you aren't, and sometimes they just don't even try.

It's definitely gotten worse as we've gotten better I reckon. lots of little things adding up.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought that's what the pokies were for? :p

I get a bit miffed with this club at times... I know to the club I am just a number, but their job is to make it seem like you aren't, and sometimes they just don't even try.
Bit harsh - just delete the stuff you don't like or appreciate...sponsorship is vital to our bottom line.

View attachment 1299012
I would have thought that was just a bit of marketing by Taubmans.
Nothing wrong with that.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Membership numbers mentioned in email from chairman
Our membership campaign for next year is progressing well. At the time of writing this we have reached 26,508 members, which puts us 9,282 members ahead of the same time last year. We are very grateful for the continued support of our members.

Membership numbers mentioned in email from chairman
Our membership campaign for next year is progressing well. At the time of writing this we have reached 26,508 members, which puts us 9,282 members ahead of the same time last year. We are very grateful for the continued support of our members.
Was just about to post the same thing - Amazing!

$2.9 million profit is great news. We are going to be so flushed with money end of 22 when we're in Springfield with no more Gabba contract. I think I read recently the AFL is not amending their funds allocation to us despite our profits and performance. While I was mad to see we weren't getting the requisite Melbourne games this year yet again not biting back at the AFL still the smart move. Club could be completely debt free within 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
$2.9 million profit is great news. We are going to be so flushed with money end of 22 when we're in Springfield with no more Gabba contract. I think I read recently the AFL is not amending their funds allocation to us despite our profits and performance. While I was mad to see we weren't getting the requisite Melbourne games this year yet again not biting back at the AFL still the smart move. Club could be completely debt free within 5 years.
We’re still in debt aren’t we?

We’re still in debt aren’t we?
I believe we were in debt to the tune of about $13m.
We have had 3 profitable years in a row of around 700k, a bit over 2m and now close to 3m.
So wouldn’t be surprised if the club was still 7-8mil in debt.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe we were in debt to the tune of about $13m.
We have had 3 profitable years in a row of around 700k, a bit over 2m and now close to 3m.
So wouldn’t be surprised if the club was still 7-8mil in debt.
How much does the Gabba facilities contract cost us - I assume we will still be responsible for the cost of game-day facilities etc?

We're going to need a bigger stadium, build it now and they will come.

Wonder if they'll increase capacity of Reserve from 10k to something bigger. With Olympics incoming more capacity will come handy at some point. Metricon has 25k, would be nice to match it.

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
The Club has finally started to move in the right direction debt wise

2017: $13.133 million
2018: $13.364 million
2019: $12.715 million
2020: $ 9.642 million

2021 $6.639 million (estimate after the reported $2.9 million profit)
If only we'd held onto that car park another 15 years...
Untitled.jpg

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wonder if they'll increase capacity of Reserve from 10k to something bigger. With Olympics incoming more capacity will come handy at some point. Metricon has 25k, would be nice to match it.
They have council approval for 25K capacity. But that is just about protecting the future more than anything else
Easier to get approval now then when the area is full with more houses and businesses that may object to an increase

However it is too expensive to build a 25k stadium with limited capacity to generate revenue to repay debt and maintain the facility
It is a shame they could not initially build grandstands for 3000 instead of 1000 in readiness for Olympics
All levels of Government funding lives only from one budget to the next.
So still some hope for another permanent grandstand (say for 2000) even if it costs 70% more than if they built it from the get go.
I imagine anything else will be temporary seating for Olympics

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any lingering doubts about feeling old are gone.....I'm definately an oldie.

Had to look up what a pop socket was! Needed to look as I will be getting one in my membership pack, had no idea.

As it turns out I have seen them on phones, just didn't know what the name was.:confusedv1:

View attachment 1299012

It really paints a picture of where things are at. Not something we should just brush over.

I would have thought that was just a bit of marketing by Taubmans.
Nothing wrong with that.
Bit harsh - just delete the stuff you don't like or appreciate...sponsorship is vital to our bottom line.
Sponsorship is important. I agree. That ordinarily look like "Coffee Club sponsors our coaches" or "AAPT logo on the jersey". It usually doesn't look like selling the member lists to whoever pays for it.

Selling customer lists is a fairly new phenomenon (last decade or two it's really taken off), and is one of those things that is frowned upon but allowed. In the business world, it's seen as quite poor treatment of your customers.

For a football club to be doing that... We aren't supposed to be customers, we're supposed to be members. It gives you an idea of how the club views us. In the club's defence, they may not have actually sold the list - they were the senders, not taubmans - but it's still not a great sign that they're still trying to monetise us further, whether they sold the lists or just distributed to us...

In the club's defence, they may not have actually sold the list - they were the senders, not taubmans - but it's still not a great sign that they're still trying to monetise us further, whether they sold the lists or just distributed to us...
Correct, it was sent by the club not by Taubmans.
So all the club is doing is a bit of advertising for their sponsor.
For some people who need some paint they might jump at the chance to buy a tin of paint and have a chance to win $1000 and may not have known about the offer until the clubs email.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back