What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must not have a gag reflex.

The way he starts each game with some painfully rehearsed alliteration absolutely kills me. The bloke is a pompous twat.
When Gary Birtles is doing special comments I want to punch him in the face, though this could be a continuation from his playing career when I just wanted to punch him in the face.

Tyler for me - excellent. Simon Hill very good also.

Always liked Tim Lane for footy commentary.

The EPL and Soccer in general have much better commentary than the AFL.

Martin Tyler and Peter Drury are excellent, and Simon Hill here in Australia is great.

At the moment in AFL I currently only really rate Anthony Hudson and Jason Bennett as top class commentators.

Hamish McLaughlin has improved to become decent-ish.

The rest = mediocre to just plain unbearable.
Martin Tyler went down the Bruce McAvaney route. Was once a great commentator but for the past decade has been unbearable

I don’t want Darcy commentating any of our matches. Period.

He is clearly biased when calling our games and I can’t stand biased commentary even towards my own team (I also really hate that typical Norf whiner James Brayshaw for his bias against us)

People like Darcy (club great and now on the board) should not be commentating games involving their club.
I think you think too much about it I can’t say I’ve noticed the bias

The EPL and Soccer in general have much better commentary than the AFL.

Martin Tyler and Peter Drury are excellent, and Simon Hill here in Australia is great.

At the moment in AFL I currently only really rate Anthony Hudson and Jason Bennett as top class commentators.

Hamish McLaughlin has improved to become decent-ish.

The rest = mediocre to just plain unbearable.
Soccer needs good commentary to compensate for the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zerohanger is doing a series on “If your team could steal one player”. Predicting in a dvance that for us they'll say Max Gawn, Sean Darcy, Toby Greene, and Aliir Aliir/Steven May/Harris Andrews maybe.

May and Kolodjashnij went for pick 6 in 2018. We had pick 7 and obviously drafted Bazlenka who hasn't missed a game from us, will probably play 300 games for us unless he goes to Hawthorn on a 10 year deal and is probably the most marketable player in the league. Yet if I could go back right now and not draft Baz but instead enter a world where we trade pick 7 for Steven May I would in a heartbeat.

Western Bulldogs cult figure Bailey Smith is taking an indefinite leave of absence from the club for personal reasons.
The 21-year-old midfielder is completing his training remotely but football boss and club great Chris Grant is confident Smith’s preparation for next season won’t be impeded.
Catch every moment of The Ashes live and ad-break free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
The Bulldogs also allowed Western Australian pair Tim English and Aaron Naughton and South Australian Caleb Daniel to train interstate pre-Christmas because of Covid-19 border uncertainty.
Smith’s circumstances are different to that trio as he focuses on personal issues, including but not restricted to private family matters.
[PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD] has been given a leave of absence by the Bulldogs. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Bailey Smith has been given a leave of absence by the Bulldogs. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
“We remain in close contact with Bailey, and we respect and understand his need to spend some time away from the club at the moment,” Grant said.
“With such a short training block before the Christmas break for the AFL squad; we are comfortable to afford Bailey the time he needs.
“We’ll support him throughout, and he’ll return when he is ready.
“Bailey has maintained an extremely high level of physical conditioning throughout his entire career, and we’re looking forward to reintegrating him into the program at the appropriate time.”
Smith is known as an obsessive and dedicated trainer and has not missed a match in his first three seasons since the Dogs selected him seventh overall in the star-studded 2018 AFL Draft.
He has dethroned Richmond superstar Dustin Martin as the most-followed AFL footballer on Instagram with 355,000 and has become one of the most recognised players in the game.
But Smith told the Common Chaos podcast in October that there were mental health challenges which came with his overnight fame.
[PLAYERCARD]Bailey Smith[/PLAYERCARD] Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Bailey Smith Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
He revealed he had dealt with anxiety, panic attacks, difficulty sleeping and even eating disorder symptoms as he adapts to fans wanting to know his every move.
“I acknowledge (the attention), I know it’s there, it is the elephant in my brain, but I ignore it as much as I can,” Smith said.
“The things that ground me each day – I go get my coffee, going to the beach from 10 until 2, my best friends, getting dinner. I focus on what I want to do each day and what I want to get out of myself.
“I don’t open up that much, because I’m scared of being judged – and it’s just something that’s got to do with me.
“Fear of just being taken advantage of, as well. You can’t just open up to anyone, so I don’t do that, but it’s been so refreshing over the past couple of days just to talk to you guys and not feel alone.
“There are so many people around you wanting this and that from you; it’s so easy to feel empty inside, as dark as that sounds.”
More Coverage
Malthouse: Dog fast becoming AFL’s best midfielderBailey Smith reveals $50,000 indecent proposalPolice investigate alleged Gold Coast pub incident involving AFL superstar
Smith was involved in an alleged incident at Burleigh Pavilion on the Gold Coast in the days after the Bulldogs’ grand final loss.
A man complained to police about being pushed but neither the club nor police took further action.

Western Bulldogs cult figure Bailey Smith is taking an indefinite leave of absence from the club for personal reasons.
The 21-year-old midfielder is completing his training remotely but football boss and club great Chris Grant is confident Smith’s preparation for next season won’t be impeded.
Catch every moment of The Ashes live and ad-break free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
The Bulldogs also allowed Western Australian pair Tim English and Aaron Naughton and South Australian Caleb Daniel to train interstate pre-Christmas because of Covid-19 border uncertainty.
Smith’s circumstances are different to that trio as he focuses on personal issues, including but not restricted to private family matters.
Bailey Smith has been given a leave of absence by the Bulldogs. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

“We remain in close contact with Bailey, and we respect and understand his need to spend some time away from the club at the moment,” Grant said.
“With such a short training block before the Christmas break for the AFL squad; we are comfortable to afford Bailey the time he needs.
“We’ll support him throughout, and he’ll return when he is ready.
“Bailey has maintained an extremely high level of physical conditioning throughout his entire career, and we’re looking forward to reintegrating him into the program at the appropriate time.”
Smith is known as an obsessive and dedicated trainer and has not missed a match in his first three seasons since the Dogs selected him seventh overall in the star-studded 2018 AFL Draft.
He has dethroned Richmond superstar Dustin Martin as the most-followed AFL footballer on Instagram with 355,000 and has become one of the most recognised players in the game.
But Smith told the Common Chaos podcast in October that there were mental health challenges which came with his overnight fame.

He revealed he had dealt with anxiety, panic attacks, difficulty sleeping and even eating disorder symptoms as he adapts to fans wanting to know his every move.
“I acknowledge (the attention), I know it’s there, it is the elephant in my brain, but I ignore it as much as I can,” Smith said.
“The things that ground me each day – I go get my coffee, going to the beach from 10 until 2, my best friends, getting dinner. I focus on what I want to do each day and what I want to get out of myself.
“I don’t open up that much, because I’m scared of being judged – and it’s just something that’s got to do with me.
“Fear of just being taken advantage of, as well. You can’t just open up to anyone, so I don’t do that, but it’s been so refreshing over the past couple of days just to talk to you guys and not feel alone.
“There are so many people around you wanting this and that from you; it’s so easy to feel empty inside, as dark as that sounds.”
More Coverage
Malthouse: Dog fast becoming AFL’s best midfielderBailey Smith reveals $50,000 indecent proposalPolice investigate alleged Gold Coast pub incident involving AFL superstar
Smith was involved in an alleged incident at Burleigh Pavilion on the Gold Coast in the days after the Bulldogs’ grand final loss.
A man complained to police about being pushed but neither the club nor police took further action.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back