Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to think that if Carlton had the same amount of success and flags as Richmond in the last 5 years, we wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if we had more fans or members than anyone else.

Seems to me (some) Richmond fans are still carrying around an inferiority complex they have had since 1982 (case in point, some Tigers ridiculous and totally unfounded conspiracy theory that Steve Hocking changed the rules to stop Richmond winning another flag)

Give it a rest Tiges. No one else cares or acknowledges you as the number 1 supported team in the footy, be in the VFL/AFL.

Never have been, never will be. It will always be Collingwood (curse their black and white souls, but it's a fact)

I would like to think that if Carlton had the same amount of success and flags as Richmond in the last 5 years, we wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if we had more fans or members than anyone else.

Seems to me (some) Richmond fans are still carrying around an inferiority complex they have had since 1982 (case in point, some Tigers ridiculous and totally unfounded conspiracy theory that Steve Hocking changed the rules to stop Richmond winning another flag)

Give it a rest Tiges. No one else cares or acknowledges you as the number 1 supported team in the footy, be in the VFL/AFL.

Never have been, never will be. It will always be Collingwood (curse their black and white souls, but it's a fact)
Come on, we're not all delusional.
It's West Coast.

PS, how about that Leeds v City game the other day? :huh:

It’s a very reasonable comparison.

2016 illustrated the size of the Essendon supporter base, that 57,400 would sign up to a season where it couldn’t field a competitive team, a year after finishing in the bottom 4 in 2015 in the midst of the 5 year saga.

Richmond supporters have never experienced a 4 year pummelling from every angle in the football world to the level Essendon experienced between 2012-2016 where it was stripped of comp points and lost successive years of draft picks etc.. No club has. Not even close. To draw conclusions using Essendon membership figures and crowds during that period is an outlier and misleading. In the three years after the conclusion of that period Essendon grew membership to 84,000 (2019). We will never know what Essendon’s memberships today could’ve been if it didn’t effectively lose 5 years of league wide incremental membership growth.

On fickle. Richmond grew Membership 45% in 2017 after its premiership, that's evidence of a fickle following, at least 30,000 fickle ones anyway. Being reasonable, Richmobd supporters aren’t fickle. Nor are Essendon’s. Essendon hasn't won a final for 17 years(!) yet it will go close to having 90,000 members in 2022. Certainly it will if it notches any further improvement in 2022 compared to 2021.

On crowds. Before 2017, Richmond season H&A crowds rarely exceeded Essendon (and Carlton / Collingwood). And if Essendon wasn’t playing games at Marvel Stadium, Essendon would’ve been the top attended club for the 2017 year, a year Richmond won the premiership. So let’s quit comparing aggregate crowds as they’re completely misleading

And lastly, I attended an Essendon function during the week. And I reiterate previous comments I’ve made on here, reconfirmed again in talking to execs that when (if) Essendon win a premiership in the near future, you will see Essendon regain #1 ranking in membership. It says only Collingwood has comparable breadth of national support as Essendon and converting this component, illustrated at its games in WA / TAS where it, with respect dwarfed it’s opponents in the stands, is at the heart of its unique growth opportunity and focus the next 5 years.

Ben Gale is highly respected in the industry. He knows the Tigers are big in Victoria, but not as big as others outside Victoria. I will let his informed perspective stand as the most credible and pragmatic of all, at least compared to us mere mortals on here..
I don't necessarily disagree with some of your points.

Drugs excuses aside, ill provide another example. Richmond had more members in 2011 (53,000) 31 years from a flag and 10 years since finals, compared to Essendon (47,000) 11 years from a flag, and 7 years from finals, and with us finishing lower on the ladder.

And we had made that 6,000 and more up from 2003/2004 without any success. In 2004 - 4 years since your last flag (and still making finals) , but 23 years since Richmonds and we finished last - we were only 5000 odd behind Essendon.

Excuses can flow to suit the narrative.

Jumped off after drugs suspensions. Jumped off after 2004 when things went bad.

Richmond kept growing despite the circumstances and in leaner times.

I think Fitzroy was pummeled more as a club than Essendon. Wpuld you agree? So too all the clubs close to a merger or death like Melbourne , Hawthorn, Richmond and North. Essendon has never been driven to the brink, although it may have felt like it as a supporter. Just got their rightful measure trying to compromise the comp which balanced out the advantages they pursued from the clubs who played by the rules.

I do think another Vic based club punching through the 100,000 barrier would be good for football. And I'm happy that its not necessarily Carlton or Collingwood, who are the true fair weather supporters.

Last edited:

Just checked this thread for the first time in 6 months.

Have the goal posts seriously been moved to "biggest club by tv viewership"?

My oh my.

Tell me about it's turned into a farce. I enjoy a bit of footy banter with some of the blues and ess posters but geez talk about trying to remain relevant.

Youtube views, streaming and google hits wow who needs real support like membership and attendances.

Problem is no one has solid proof that it is the Pies, further, there is no reason for them to be the biggest from a performance perspective.

Right now it is the tigs and wc on membership.

The only relevance my mob has is profile, and it's a mystery as to why.

Problem is no one has solid proof that it is the Pies, further, there is no reason for them to be the biggest from a performance perspective.

Right now it is the tigs and wc on membership.

The only relevance my mob has is profile, and it's a mystery as to why.

As I have stated many times you're without a doubt the most unbiased pies posts on bigfooty. You know, we know that we are the biggest along with west coast, now that might change in the near future if some other VIC clubs get their act together and challenge us but we won't know until that happens, for now, it's all hope and hearsay.

To be honest if Essendon wins a premiership I think they will definitely punch through the 100k barrier.

I agree, but I have never seen so many posters just try and devalue what Richmond has become, it's bordering on childish rants.
The bottom line is we won a flag and smashed through 100K it wasn't 3 flags needed to achieve that. Secondly, only Richmond has outdrawn Collingwood whilst both have been in the top 4. We also have sold out the G V GWS when others can do that when they get their chance then come at us. Easy said than done.
Oh, we have also outnumbered all 3 in finals ess, carl and collingwood.

Funnily enough, I know it can change who is biggest as in Vic we are all big clubs but geez atm we are the biggest, our membership, attendances and revenue supersede all 3.

Lol who the fu** are you to tell Richmond supporters to give it a rest, last i saw this thread is about Richmond, west coast and Collingwood.
So why are you here? i guess you're free to post which is your right as are Richmond supporters, well anyone for that matter.

lol lol lol inferiority complex :rolleyes: whatever helps you sleep better at night. You don't have to acknowledge anything champ, we let the numbers do the talking No 1 or 2 in membership, attendances and revenue.

I would rather have more premierships than members thanks.

Also if you are such a big club, how come the AFL has reduced your prime time TV slots next season (assuming it starts without any or much interference from the latest alarming covid outbreak)

Also I ask again why does it matter which teams has more supporters or members? You would have to be pretty insecure to get worked up over something like that

Love reading the debates here, even if it occasionally get heated ;)

Several clubs (I.e. Eagles, Tigers, Pies and Bombers) have strong claims for being the "biggest" in the league based on several metrics.

Carlton is the next tier below in my opinion.

Another respected poster who I value along with Carringbush2010, and you hit it on the head with your assertion.
Haha yeah, it does get a bit heated but that's the mainboard for you. If we all agreed it would be boring.

I would rather have more premierships than members thanks.

Also if you are such a big club, how come the AFL has reduced your prime time TV slots next season (assuming it starts without any or much interference from the latest alarming covid outbreak)

Also I ask again why does it matter which teams has more supporters or members? You would have to be pretty insecure to get worked up over something like that

So would I trust me and I'm rapt that we have won 3 flags of late and now have 13. But this thread isn't about how many premierships each club has, the title says it all.
I'm all for the AFL giving prime time slots to other teams. The bulldogs are getting the love, they have many prime time games. Now it's only till RD9, other 13 rounds haven't been set yet, it will depend on how clubs are faring. In the first 9/10 games we have big games, couldn't care less if they are on Friday or Sat or Sunday.

Im actually not worked up i thought you were considering Carlton isnt even mentioned in the titled thread but here you're telling tiger supports to give it a rest but i am pretty sure all beema limapep was doing was replying to a blue bagger and an Ess poster. They were engaging back and forth.

Check out every thread there is always debate, sometimes it gets heated especially on the mainboard gotta have thick skin.

I agree, but I have never seen so many posters just try and devalue what Richmond has become, it's bordering on childish rants.
The bottom line is we won a flag and smashed through 100K it wasn't 3 flags needed to achieve that. Secondly, only Richmond has outdrawn Collingwood whilst both have been in the top 4. We also have sold out the G V GWS when others can do that when they get their chance then come at us. Easy said than done.
Oh, we have also outnumbered all 3 in finals ess, carl and collingwood.

Funnily enough, I know it can change who is biggest as in Vic we are all big clubs but geez atm we are the biggest, our membership, attendances and revenue supersede all 3.
The reason why I (we) go after Richmond is because there’s an unhealthy number of Richmond fans (not you) that have for years come on here and posted arrogant and troll like posts. There’s nothing worse than a bad winner, a winner that doesn’t win with grace and respect and the Tiger following that post on these topics have set a league standard for winning ugly.

If some of them posted with a little more respect and modesty we would rightly applaud the Tiger renaissance in a more gleaming way.

The reason why I (we) go after Richmond is because there’s an unhealthy number of Richmond fans (not you) that have for years come on here and posted arrogant and troll like posts. There’s nothing worse than a bad winner, a winner that doesn’t win with grace and respect and the Tiger following that post on these topics have set a league standard for winning ugly.

If some of them posted with a little more respect and modesty we would rightly applaud the Tiger renaissance in a more gleaming way.

I can't disagree with your succinct reply, I try and provide facts with my posts, I guess that's why many cant actually have a go at me but I also acknowledge that being top dog No 1 club can change. I also agree that ess will hit 100K but can they overtake us, no one knows yet we'll just wait and see.

I have seen you and a few others go hard at Richmond and I would think wow why the hate to us? Why try and take away what we have become as a club.
I'm so proud of my club we used to be a basket case, poorly run and now we are one of the best run clubs in the league.

In defence for some tiger posters, we did cop it hardcore by posters for years and years and when we did win the flag it wasn't graceful, I think it was like us against them and payback for all the crap we have copped over decades.

For me personally, I copped it like 20 years but when I rolled into work after winning the flag, I did stir up all the oppo supporters but we all had a laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So would I trust me and I'm rapt that we have won 3 flags of late and now have 13. But this thread isn't about how many premierships each club has, the title says it all.
I'm all for the AFL giving prime time slots to other teams. The bulldogs are getting the love, they have many prime time games. Now it's only till RD9, other 13 rounds haven't been set yet, it will depend on how clubs are faring. In the first 9/10 games we have big games, couldn't care less if they are on Friday or Sat or Sunday.

Im actually not worked up i thought you were considering Carlton isnt even mentioned in the titled thread but here you're telling tiger supports to give it a rest but i am pretty sure all beema limapep was doing was replying to a blue bagger and an Ess poster. They were engaging back and forth.

Check out every thread there is always debate, sometimes it gets heated especially on the mainboard gotta have thick skin.

Well that is fair enough.
Appreciate the civility and maturity in your responses.

I would argue strongly though if you asked most non footy/afl fans in non traditional football States like NSW or QLD who is the first team they think if asked about the AFL, I would say a good proportion would say Collingwood more than anyone else .

Richmond it could be argued is the biggest club right now and for a few years,but I still think historically speaking its always been Collingwood even in their lean years in the 80s and post 1990 period up until the Malthouse era.
So maybe it's fair to say Richmond are the most popular club in the land right now but Collingwood is and probably always will be the most famous one (imo)

Tell me about it's turned into a farce. I enjoy a bit of footy banter with some of the blues and ess posters but geez talk about trying to remain relevant.

Youtube views, streaming and google hits wow who needs real support like membership and attendances.
I think you missed my point champ I'd rather membership and attendances. The other metrics are data that is monitored and recorded by all AFL clubs.

Brendon Gale is not saying Richmond are the 5th or 6th biggest club on members its overall clear distinction. Anyway most people don't give a * win/ loss is more important and we have 16 flags to you 13.

I think you missed my point champ I'd rather membership and attendances. The other metrics are data that is monitored and recorded by all AFL clubs.

Brendon Gale is not saying Richmond are the 5th or 6th biggest club on members its overall clear distinction. Anyway most people don't give a fu** win/ loss is more important and we have 16 flags to you 13.

Im happy we cleared that, you were harping on about those metrics plus Tv but happy we both acknowledge memberships and attendances are king.

I have been in meetings with peggy and literally heard her speak we are the biggest club. Now does that mean you need to agree? No nor does your club.
Gale did say that before we became a juggernaut. Words are cheap, I heard Cain Liddle say he thinks Carlton have more support, he is entitled to his opinion but nothing supports his claim as Carlton do not supersede Richmond on most key metrics.
Like I said to dave let's just wait for what Carlton can achieve when they are successful because right now all that you're saying is just crystal ball stuff.

Well that is fair enough.
Appreciate the civility and maturity in your responses.

I would argue strongly though if you asked most non footy/afl fans in non traditional football States like NSW or QLD who is the first team they think if asked about the AFL, I would say a good proportion would say Collingwood more than anyone else .

Richmond it could be argued is the biggest club right now and for a few years,but I still think historically speaking its always been Collingwood even in their lean years in the 80s and post 1990 period up until the Malthouse era.
So maybe it's fair to say Richmond are the most popular club in the land right now but Collingwood is and probably always will be the most famous one (imo)

Can't fault that, well articulated. The pies would have the highest profile of all clubs or being the most famous as you said if you asked someone in non-traditional states what team they knew in the AFL. What I'm saying is more based on our support levels, ours has grown exponentially over the last 5 years across the country, evident by our membership In Vc and Interstate, for example, our membership in QLD is double that of Collingwoods.

I could not agree with this more. Inevitably on this board *some* - not all - tiger fans are the first to troll, first to boast, first to gloat. first to trott out the "we were crap for 30 years" excuses when it suits, but god forbid carlton or essendon fans do it.

Im happy we cleared that, you were harping on about those metrics plus Tv but happy we both acknowledge memberships and attendances are king.

I have been in meetings with peggy and literally heard her speak we are the biggest club. Now does that mean you need to agree? No nor does your club.
Gale did say that before we became a juggernaut. Words are cheap, I heard Cain Liddle say he thinks Carlton have more support, he is entitled to his opinion but nothing supports his claim as Carlton do not supersede Richmond on most key metrics.
Like I said to dave let's just wait for what Carlton can achieve when they are successful because right now all that you're saying is just crystal ball stuff.
Lets debate more important things I think Richo was a better player than Dusty do u agree? Maybe not for this thread???

RICHO for me best Richmond player I saw in my lifetime. I would of to have ask some other
Richmond posters.

I feel that way about Peter Daicos as a Collingwood champion, greatest Pies player I ever saw in my lifetime, despite many people putting Buckley and Pendlebury ahead of him on the Magpie GOAT rankings.

Daicos was a freak,an absolute freak who could burn teams in so many ways and kicked several of the stunning goals I ever saw (even on tv replays later cause live games on TV wasn't around back then)

Sometimes I wonder if The Macedonian Marvel does not get enough respect or his due in the AFL community (even by the Magpie Army)
If Nick can even be half as good as his old man,The Pies have a legit champion in the making on their books.

I feel that way about Peter Daicos as a Collingwood champion, greatest Pies player I ever saw in my lifetime, despite many people putting Buckley and Pendlebury ahead of him on the Magpie GOAT rankings.

Daicos was a freak,an absolute freak who could burn teams in so many ways and kicked several of the stunning goals I ever saw (even on tv replays later cause live games on TV wasn't around back then)

Sometimes I wonder if The Macedonian Marvel does not get enough respect or his due in the AFL community (even by the Magpie Army)
If Nick can even be half as good as his old man,The Pies have a legit champion in the making on their books.
Agree the Macedonian Marvel in my time and
Simon Madden for Essendon top bloke too!

Back