Marnus Labuschagne

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he'll end up being a better batter than smith in tests. Would love to see him get a proper run in odi/t20 but he'll probably need to bowl more to be considered for selection.

I think mentally he’s focused and strong enough that he’s going to succeed no matter what. When he goes through a slump he will work hard enough to get through it.

He’s had his fair share of luck though so far and he’s played 23 of his 34 tests at home and still hasn’t really set the world on fire on the road. He will have a good long successful career but I can’t see him averaging 60+ for the rest of it

I think mentally he’s focused and strong enough that he’s going to succeed no matter what. When he goes through a slump he will work hard enough to get through it.

He’s had his fair share of luck though so far and he’s played 23 of his 34 tests at home and still hasn’t really set the world on fire on the road. He will have a good long successful career but I can’t see him averaging 60+ for the rest of it

To be fair he wasn't setting the world on fire here prior to the 19/20 summer and he hasn't played overseas since. He was still from memory our 2nd best batsmen in the 2019 Ashes but I am keen to see how he goes on the sub-continent.

To be fair he wasn't setting the world on fire here prior to the 19/20 summer and he hasn't played overseas since. He was still from memory our 2nd best batsmen in the 2019 Ashes but I am keen to see how he goes on the sub-continent.

No that’s absolutely right you can’t fault him on runs he hasn’t had the chance to score, I’m just keen to see how his numbers are impacted when he has to start playing away. He’s not bulletproof against spin but he has the concentration necessary if nothing else

Pakistan and India next year will be a good challenge for him, but he did well in a low scoring england 2019 series without getting a ton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swings and roundabouts, he will have a trough at some point with blinding catches taken by Jos Butler and the like.

I love Marnus but feel like if he has a bad run of luck it could go downhill for him quickly. Seems to bat with a lot of luck. Great player though

I was very sceptical initially because his first class average wasn't great, and I didn't think he had what it takes to be a good Test player. He has made me look like a complete idiot. His consistency is unbelievable.

I'll give credit to the selectors. He certainly wasn't knocking down the door for selection. But they unearthed a gem.

he was easily our 2nd best bat in the 2019 ashes, wade a very distant 3rd. I know different formats etc, but he did decent in India in some ODIs in early 2020 iirc?

he was easily our 2nd best bat in the 2019 ashes, wade a very distant 3rd. I know different formats etc, but he did decent in India in some ODIs in early 2020 iirc?

Thought so, didn't want to forget someone so added 'from memory' haha.

Had a look and he averaged 50 from 2 knocks, I have literally no recollection of that tour ever happening. Good players find a way and I reckon he will go well there, keen to see it.

Is anyone this century comporable?
That's just plain ridiculous
Highest first innings averages of all time, minimum 1000 runs - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...0;qualval1=runs;template=results;type=batting

Labu sits #2 at 83.

Bradman 99, Voges 82, Smith 75, Weekes 71 round out the top five.

Given Australia's batting woes over the last decade, it's hilarious of batsmen to have scored 1000+ runs in test cricket, #3 (Labu 62), #4 (Voges 61) and #5 (Smith 61) on the averages are Australian batsmen of the last decade. If that holds people in future generations will think we had some sort of wonder period with the bat - a good lesson to always dig a bit below the surface of overall career records.

Voges beating the crap out of the West Indies is going to be a pain in the ass for cricket historians about 50 years from now.

Reckon he'll end up being a better batter than smith in tests. Would love to see him get a proper run in odi/t20 but he'll probably need to bowl more to be considered for selection.
Still way too early for that kind of call. Marnus still has a lot of games overseas to be played to come close to proving himself with Smith.

His in the ODI team they just havent played in 12 months.

Only played 3 ODIs in 2021 in the west indies and marnus couldn't play because he was in UK playing county cricket too hard logistically to get him there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back