Analysis Where does Buddy Franklin rank amongst the greats?

Buddy's rank of all time players

• Total voters

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Does this mean Lloyd is up with the greats?

LloydFranklin.JPG

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
You don't think we'll see a player who's reasonably tall, athletic and can kick goals from a long way out?
Not sure where you're going with this but no I don't think there will be a player who weighs over 100 kgs and at 199 cm runs like the wind , is cat like when the ball hits the ground, baulks past players at ease ,. Spins in tackles all the while dishing off handpasses to teammates , does the hard running up the field , doesn't mind tacking a bounce or two at full tilt, unloading on one step from 70m from any angle , kicking all sorts of goals from any area of the Frwd half of the field and most importantly not shying away from doing the hard yards like tackling, chasing or getting to the loose ball before most others!!! The kitbag is full mate.

Angak

All Australian
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard one.
In 2008 when people were suggesting Buddy was the best player in the game, I would say that he is not even the best (Mitchell) or even the second best (Hodge) player at Hawthorn. I have Sam Mitchell as the best Hawk since Dunstall, so hard to have Buddy as one of the all time AFL greats. At Hawthorn most would have him behind Matthews, Hudson and Dunstall at least. 20 - 30 of all time.
This is embarrassing. Mitchell was a gun, Buddy is the best of his generation.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most valuable player in the last 20 years imo. Can only comment on those I've seen but reckon he's the best forward outside of Carey/Ablett/Lockett.

Gunston and Rough better finals records, Dusty better finals records.

Certainly none as flashy as Buddy, but is Buddy really the one you pick first? Ahead of Cox and Gawn?

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Gunston and Rough better finals records, Dusty better finals records.

Certainly none as flashy as Buddy, but is Buddy really the one you pick first? Ahead of Cox and Gawn?

Probably. If it was life or death I'd give it a bit more thought.

Also Gunston give me a spell.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunston also played in some grand finals where his team truly dominated. Buddy never had that. It is easy to score goals when your midfield controls so much of the ball.

We smashed Geelong in 2008. They were literally kept in the game by half a dozen pathetic free kicks - including 2 atrocious 50m penalties.

They were flogged that day, if you exclude over-umpiring.

Maybe we dominated because of Gunston and Cyril.

Roughy kicked more goals head to head against Buddy every time too (I think...).

dustinlmartin4

Debutant
Apr 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Q: Where does Buddy rank?
A: Dusty is the GOAT.

Never change, Richmond supporters.

Dusty is probably the 4th or 5th best player of the last 20 years. He is miles outside the top 10 for players in my lifetime.

But do keep up the fapping.

Best finals player but isn’t top 10 overall

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Simche

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Arsenal
He isnt the best finals player ever.

Plus, if you play sh*t during the year chances are you dont make finals.

The best players are the ones who always perform.
Think the 'smashed Geelong' in 2008 was a bit much. I was at that game and the Cats were all over Hawthorn until mid way through the third quarter. They should have been goals clear and completely bottled it (was it 10 consecutive points?). That's not diminishing that you won the game and that's all history cares about but let's not go over the top shall we?

Re Martin, I think his place in the game is a bit unique. There's periods where he's just unplayable and goes to a level that is better than anyone else currently in the league. It's usually in the most important games where his side needs that from him. He has a claim to being one of the best ever finals players and that's reflected in his accolades.

His period from 16-19 was consistent and dominant. Previous to that he would have quiet games and games where he exploded and I think he's largely returned to that sort of level given he's probably come off those career best years and is now the other side of 30. I certainly don't think his current output can be either characterised as 's**t' or 'inconsistent'. Last year wasn't a great year but that's reflected in the whole decline of the Richmond side, not just his own.

To bring it back to the topic would I have Buddy as having the better career? Yes, probably. But like other Richmond supporters we love our own man and there's nothing wrong with that. If Martin snags another flag/brownlow/norm smith etc. then there's more of an argument, so who knows how the next few years will play out.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Think the 'smashed Geelong' in 2008 was a bit much. I was at that game and the Cats were all over Hawthorn until mid way through the third quarter. They should have been goals clear and completely bottled it (was it 10 consecutive points?). That's not diminishing that you won the game and that's all history cares about but let's not go over the top shall we?

Re Martin, I think his place in the game is a bit unique. There's periods where he's just unplayable and goes to a level that is better than anyone else currently in the league. It's usually in the most important games where his side needs that from him. He has a claim to being one of the best ever finals players and that's reflected in his accolades.

His period from 16-19 was consistent and dominant. Previous to that he would have quiet games and games where he exploded and I think he's largely returned to that sort of level given he's probably come off those career best years and is now the other side of 30. I certainly don't think his current output can be either characterised as 'sh*t' or 'inconsistent'. Last year wasn't a great year but that's reflected in the whole decline of the Richmond side, not just his own.

To bring it back to the topic would I have Buddy as having the better career? Yes, probably. But like other Richmond supporters we love our own man and there's nothing wrong with that. If Martin snags another flag/brownlow/norm smith etc. then there's more of an argument, so who knows how the next few years will play out.

Without looking at his stats, I feel like 2017 was the year where he was at the high level just about every week. Since then he's been a bit up and down during the HA season but obviously at his best at the pointy end. Not sure whether that's him saving himself or whether it just isn't possible to hit those highs all the time.

Winning a 4th NS would be insane.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Or he would have weighed 140 kilos.

Imagine Hudson in 2021 when even touching a forward gets a free kick and any contact in a marking content gets a free kick, plus, his knee reco would have meant 1 season out of football, not 6 seasons out of football. And he wouldnt have been concussed half a dozen times a year from talentless flog defenders punching him in the head.
Hudson would be Tory Dickson in 2021.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Everyone keeps quoting forwards in an era of one on one. It’s crazy and unfair on the modern great forwards navigating zones and tactics. Riewoldt, Franklin, etc are great forwards in a clogged up era.

And what about if Carey and Lockett received free kicks for chopping arms or hands in the back.

Have a look at the Octopus Silvagni hold Carey / Lockett for 4 quarters.

The game today is pathetically soft.

Buddy has had an Armchair ride compared to the others on the list.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We smashed Geelong in 2008. They were literally kept in the game by half a dozen pathetic free kicks - including 2 atrocious 50m penalties.

They were flogged that day, if you exclude over-umpiring.

Maybe we dominated because of Gunston and Cyril.

Roughy kicked more goals head to head against Buddy every time too (I think...).

Goals scored by Gunston's Grand Final teams

Goals scored by Buddy's Grand Finals teams

So clearly Gunston was in teams that were on average a lot more dominant in Grand Finals than Buddy.

Buddy kicked a much higher percentage of his teams Grand Finals goals than Gunston did too.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goals scored by Gunston's Grand Final teams

Goals scored by Buddy's Grand Finals teams

So clearly Gunston was in teams that were on average a lot more dominant in Grand Finals than Buddy.

Buddy kicked a much higher percentage of his teams Grand Finals goals than Gunston did too.

Gunston spends 25% of the time on the wing and 25% of the time in defence too. So on a 'per minute' basis Gunston is well ahead.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Franklin will be remembered the same as brereton.
If you were around to see him, you'll tell stories about him.
He won't rate amongst the greats in 30 years though

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Franklin will be remembered the same as brereton.
If you were around to see him, you'll tell stories about him.
He won't rate amongst the greats in 30 years though

Depends. The value of forwards seems to be in decline. He could well be the last player to kick 100 goals in a season, so will be talked about forever.

Reminds me. I should go post in the Joe Danniher next 100 goal forward thread :)

Back