The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

The USA has 50 states. Australia has 7. Not hard to have 6 teams out of 7 is lt.
I'm sure if the USA had only 7 states they would have NFL, NBA, in all of them.
Only a fool would think that the AFL is a national comp when a rusted on AF state like Tassie has no AFL team

Dumb dumb argument, one day you'll understand why.

America has teams where it makes financial sense, they don't hand out teams just so more states can have a team.. get a grip ffs.

Dumb dumb argument, one day you'll understand why.

America has teams where it makes financial sense, they don't hand out teams just so more states can have a team.. get a grip ffs.
Exactly, while Aussie in exile may take a pot shot at the current expansion sides they both are in areas of high growth and in time will be profitable
Remind me again how much the AFL has to pump into GWS and the Suns every year just to keep treading water at best.
These 2 clubs will always be huge financial blackholes for the game and will have to be wet nursed for ever

1. Tasmania.
2. Canberra-Murray (representing ACT, Albury-Wodonga and Riverina regions).
3. NT (co-location with a smaller Vic club).
4. Whichever is ready and needed first out of: a) 3rd WA / b) QLD (co-location between NQ and Sunny Coast) / c) North Sydney (with a few games in Newcastle).

Last edited:
There isn’t a sporting league in the world that represents every single region in that country, they still call themselves national leagues, dumb argument.

Sheffield Sheild represents every state. Of course cricket is a national sport tho..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ah okay, so you get to decide the ACT and NT are not part of the national? Thanks for the brilliant logic as always pippen

Just basic general knowledge. Nt has been knocked back from being a state because of size. Australia has only 6 states meeting that standard. National comp should feature all states.

so territories are not part of the nation? Thanks for clearing that up.

There are at least ten territories most with population smaller than afl itself. Smart person would draw line at states. Right now competition doesn't even meet this.

Not national

Next 4 will be Tasmania, 3rd wa, 3rd sa & 2nd Tasmania
Tasmania should definitely be the next club to enter the AFL, but it’s extremely unlikely they’ll ever be able to host 2 clubs. For that to occur, the population would have to boom in the coming decades to over 1m. Can’t see that happening.

I like the original post about Tas, NT, a 3rd WA team, and Canberra. But I'd imagine there'd be a third SA side and a NQLD side, then every state would have a "third" team if you count ACT as an extra NSW one.

With 22 teams, everyone could play each other once + a rivalry round, but I don't know what the rivalry round would look like apart from the QLD, WA, SA, and NSW derbies. Perhaps a TAS v NT "derby" could be conjured.

With 24 teams you could have a 23 round season, no double ups. * conferences.

Los Angeles,Shanghai,London and Auckland = the World Australian Football League shown on Fox sports!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back