Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Report from our practise match.

Don't read too much into the result/margin, we were far from full strength and even had non listed top-up players. I believe I saw reported that around 9 of our best 21 were missing. North are obviously a very strong team and fortunately we don't play them in the H&A season. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend so I can't comment on the performance but I've heard from those that did we did show some good signs but with so many missing it was always going to be a rough day.

Don't read too much into the result/margin, we were far from full strength and even had non listed top-up players. I believe I saw reported that around 9 of our best 21 were missing. North are obviously a very strong team and fortunately we don't play them in the H&A season. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend so I can't comment on the performance but I've heard from those that did we did show some good signs but with so many missing it was always going to be a rough day.
Just excellent to see Hannah Scott's name again, truth be told. God I've missed her. Love what she brings and hopefully can get back to something like her 2018 form...

Is there an injury list for the AFLW players I can view? Do you happen to know how Jess Fitzgerald is going? She's the player I'm most excited to watch this season.

Is there an injury list for the AFLW players I can view? Do you happen to know how Jess Fitzgerald is going? She's the player I'm most excited to watch this season.

Can't see anything online regarding an injury list but once the season starts there should be on the AFLW site. Here are our players that were missing from yesterday...

Deanna Berry (ACL Feb 2021)
Elisabeth Georgostathis
Sarah Hartwig
Bailey Hunt
Isabel Huntington
Gemma Lagioia
Katie Lynch
Kirsten McLeod

Fitzgerald was playing more minutes in the midfield during the VFLW season so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw her 80/20 mid-forward instead of 60/40 last year. With Newton out for the season we'll need another mid in there to help out Blackburn, Lamb, Fitzgerald and Georgostathis.

Can't see anything online regarding an injury list but once the season starts there should be on the AFLW site. Here are our players that were missing from yesterday...

Deanna Berry (ACL Feb 2021)
Elisabeth Georgostathis
Sarah Hartwig
Bailey Hunt
Isabel Huntington
Gemma Lagioia
Katie Lynch
Kirsten McLeod

Fitzgerald was playing more minutes in the midfield during the VFLW season so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw her 80/20 mid-forward instead of 60/40 last year. With Newton out for the season we'll need another mid in there to help out Blackburn, Lamb, Fitzgerald and Georgostathis.

Some very good players missing from our team there. Hope they're all back soon.

Kearney's tested positive (RAT test at this stage) so unlikely to play R1 for North. AFL/W off to a great start for 2022!

Yep we're gonna see lots of top-up players coming into AFL/AFLW sides this year and there is a good chance the record for most players used in season will be broken for both competitions (AFL: 677 (2013), AFLW 381 (2021)).

Last edited:
Bulldogs BigFooty are sponsoring Elizabeth Georgostathis again this year. Anyone who would like to join in please pm me. Just need another $200

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was bound to happen at some point but couldn't have come at a worse time or a better player.

We had 9 players under 21 on the weekend the most by some margin and now we lose our 2 best players.

On paper even without Huntington we should easily beat Geelong but now with Blackburn out I think it's going to be very tough, especially with Lamb still struggling with her foot injury.

Ellie and Issy are comfortably our two best players, and two potential match-winners. I hope Bonnie can step up, and she did well after Issy went off, but asking a lot of her to carry the forward line. As Ellie says in the clip in that article, Nell Morris-Dalton is emerging, but hard to expect her to work as well immediately in tandem with Bonnie.
A Terry Wallace or Rocket Eade or Luke Beveridge might historically conjure a backs-to-the-wall victory in such a scenario, but hard ask for Burke given the squad limitations.

Was bound to happen at some point but couldn't have come at a worse time or a better player.

We had 9 players under 21 on the weekend the most by some margin and now we lose our 2 best players.

On paper even without Huntington we should easily beat Geelong but now with Blackburn out I think it's going to be very tough, especially with Lamb still struggling with her foot injury.

Hopefully Lynch is back

Bulldogs BigFooty are sponsoring Elizabeth Georgostathis again this year. Anyone who would like to join in please pm me. Just need another $200

It would be great if some people could contribute to this. Don't want the organiser to be out of pocket.

The Saints are a chance now that Nick Dal Santo is out due to Covid protocols

The Saints are a chance now that Nick Dal Santo is out due to Covid protocols
I was thinking the same thing about English cricket coach Chris Silverwood. Three straight drubbings then when he's out of action with Covid, England salvage a draw.

Fortunately for Australia Silverwood has recovered and will take charge of the English team again for the fifth test in Hobart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back