AFLW AFLW Season 2022

I'm not complaining. They are going places in Women's footy. I want to be avoiding them! In all seriousness though, I think we might play you in Round 10. I reckon it will be a magic round concept with all games at the one venue (Marvel Stadium?)
Yeah, that's right because round 9-10 havent been revealed yet.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Copied this from another thread. Some interesting points

The Bulldogs will be playing at Mars Stadium in Round 10. Keep in mind the deal to play more games in regional Vic (though it's still a little dubious what it entails).

If every club gets 5 home and 5 away games for the season, R10 will be played entirely in Victoria. Here are the four teams everybody hasn't been fixtured to play, crossed out teams they can't play (assuming 5 home & 5 away).

Adelaide (A): Geel, GC, Rich, StK

Brisbane (A): Frem, GWS, Rich, WB

Carlton (A): Geel, Melb, Rich, WCE

C’wood (H): GC, GWS, Melb, Rich

Fremantle (A): Bris, GC, StK, WB

Geelong (H): Adel, Carl, GWS, Melb

Gold Coast (A): Adel, Coll, Frem, NM

GWS Giants (A): Bris, Coll, Geel, WCE

Melbourne (H): Carl, Coll, Geel, WCE

North Melb. (H): GC, StK, WCE, WB

Richmond (H): Adel, Bris, Carl, Coll

St Kilda (H): Adel, Frem, NM, WB

West Coast (A): Carl, GWS, Melb, NM

W. Bulldogs (H): Bris, Frem, NM, StK

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Just dropping my son off for basketball at Metricon so decided to watch the Suns women’s team practice match that’s on at the moment 😱 i’m sorry to say that the skills are (putting a kindly) sub par, could be another rough season. I hope I’m wrong and that the gals Are just rusty but it’s really difficult to watch

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just dropping my son off for basketball at Metricon so decided to watch the Suns women’s team practice match that’s on at the moment 😱 i’m sorry to say that the skills are (putting a kindly) sub par, could be another rough season. I hope I’m wrong and that the gals Are just rusty but it’s really difficult to watch
Was Charlie Rowbottom training?

practice game

Notable absences from Friday night's match include Ellie Hampson, Jacqui Yorston and Lucy Single for the Suns, while the Lions will be missing Tahlia Hickie, Cathy Svarc and Indy Tahau.

The game, scheduled to kick off at 6pm AEDT at Leyshon Park, is open to fans.

Gold Coast v Brisbane
Friday 17 December, 6pm AEST, Leyshon Park
Open to the public from 5pm – food and beverage available to purchase, parking limited
Coverage via club social media channels

SUNS SQUAD
2. L.Bella, 3. T.Groves-Little, 4. C.Whitfort, 8. C.Rowbottom, 9. S.Dankert, 12. T.Bohanna, 14. S.Watson, 15. W.Randell, 16. B.Perry, 17. J.Stanton, 18. J.Baird, 19. A.Bush, 20. D.D'Arcy, 21. A.Barba, 22. G.Davies, 23. K.Howarth, 24. H.Dunn, 25. D.Heslop, 26. K.Surman, 28. S.Perkins, 29. C.Hammond, 30. E.Keaney, 33. A.Drennan, 39. V.Saad, 42. J.Pregelj

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
69:8 FT

Only first pre-season game but as I expected Lions are a great team, pleasure to watch, talent everywhere.

As for Suns, most probably another long season ahead of us. Similar to last year good inside, killed on spread.
Looked good physically, tackling and pressuring well. Run out game well.
Mostly just random kicks forward, often disorganized, caught out of positions, turnovers plenty.
Rowbottom is a real deal, very strong.
Killed in clearances. Disappointed by Bella. She was beaten soundly by Smith who was let go by Suns. Big mistake IMO.
Howard also disappointed me in defence. She does not look in great shape. It seems she lost some speed. On top of it, she tried to trip Lions player by hitting her ankle by hand and got reported.

Last edited:

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
69:8 FT

Only first pre-season game but as I expected Lions are a great team, pleasure to watch, talent everywhere.

As for Suns, most probably another long season ahead of us. Similar to last year good inside, killed on spread.
Looked good physically, tackling and pressuring well. Run out game well.
Mostly just random kicks forward, often disorganized, caught out of positions, turnovers plenty.
Rowbottom is a real deal, very strong.
Killed in clearances. Disappointed by Bella. She was beaten soundly by Smith who was let go by Suns. Big mistake IMO.
Howard also disappointed me in defence. She does not look in great shape. It seems she lost some speed. On top of it, she tried to trip Lions player by hitting her ankle by hand and got reported.

Hack kick and turnover or team pressure on opponent ball carrier and let them get the ball over the top to multiple free opposition players to spread and run free! seems similar game plan as 2021

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Probably a bit harsh to dig the heels in when your first game back is against the defending Premiers and you just claimed the wooden spoon. Let's wait until the girls face another team around the middle of the ladder before we start judging how the 2022 season will play out.

Probably a bit harsh to dig the heels in when your first game back is against the defending Premiers and you just claimed the wooden spoon. Let's wait until the girls face another team around the middle of the ladder before we start judging how the 2022 season will play out.
Practice games dont mean too much, just about experimenting, seeing what works and what doesnt. And suns had players missing.
new coach too.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Practice games dont mean too much, just about experimenting, seeing what works and what doesnt. And suns had players missing.
new coach too.
I agree. I was just pointing out that Brisbane are the benchmark in the AFLW so losing to them isn't necessarily an indication of how we'll go in 2022.

I agree. I was just pointing out that Brisbane are the benchmark in the AFLW so losing to them isn't necessarily an indication of how we'll go in 2022.
for sure! Pies lost to melbourne by 3 goals on Saturday. But it was at Casey and that ground is very hard to win at. There was also lightning haha. But yes, Brisbane are very good -- I unfortunately recall that all too clearly.

I wouldn't think too much about the result, but more focus on then the things they did right or things they can improve on.

Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Sydney have all broken their club records, with the Roos also passing the 2,000-mark for the first time.

Back