Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters
Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
It hasn't been the Carlton supporters bringing up his record at Brisbane.
My take.
He has only coached at Brisbane, so that is all we have to go on.

Teague coached last year.

So all we have is the 2 records of the 2 coaches, may or may not matter, but Teague at the moment has a better winning record than Voss.

I don't expect many Carlton fans to look at it that way, but it really doesn't inspire me like it does some.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
My take.

So all we have is the 2 records of the 2 coaches, may or may not matter, but Teague at the moment has a better winning record than Voss.

I don't expect many Carlton fans to look at it that way, but it really doesn't inspire me like it does some.

So if Voss wins more games than Teague, he is a better coach, if he doesn't, Teague is a better coach?

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, of course it hasn't been.

I wonder why that is?

😮😮😮
I don't think there are too many from Carlton who even think Voss could fail.

He is taking over from Teague, he needs to coach better with nearly the same list or they will not go anywhere.

That is my whole point, the 2 records don't tell me he is a better coach, so to me, the list needs to lift markedly for them to breakout, but watching them last year, they have way too many on the list who just don't inspire.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think there are too many from Carlton who even think Voss could fail.

He is taking over from Teague, he needs to coach better with nearly the same list or they will not go anywhere.

That is my whole point, the 2 records don't tell me he is a better coach, so to me, the list needs to lift markedly for them to breakout, but watching them last year, they have way too many on the list who just don't inspire.

Coaches previous record isn't relevant, no clear precedent to suggest they are better before or after their first to last year of coaching, or from one club to another

Nothing is categorical

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
My take.

You're pushing the 'better record' thing pretty hard. You'd think it was more than 2% difference the way you're going on about it.
Teague's best result is 8 wins. Voss has 13 and 10 win seasons.
Teague took over a young, rebuilt list that was expected to be on the improve and managed 21 wins across 3 seasons. Voss took over an ageing list that was on the decline and managed 42 wins in 5 seasons. Took them to finals in 2009 for the first time since 2004.

Go Teague!

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're pushing the 'better record' thing pretty hard. You'd think it was more than 2% difference the way you're going on about it.
Teague's best result is 8 wins. Voss has 13 and 10 win seasons.
Teague took over a young, rebuilt list that was expected to be on the improve and managed 21 wins across 3 seasons. Voss took over an ageing list that was on the decline and managed 42 wins in 5 seasons. Took them to finals in 2009 for the first time since 2004.

Go Teague!
I also think one thing we're forgetting was that Voss was unfortunate in that he was competing against 3 or 4 or the most dominant teams that took to the field since the turn of the century when he was in control at Brisbane - Geelong, St Kilda, Collingwood and to a lesser extent the Western Bulldogs.

Teague had nowhere near those quality of teams to play against whilst he was at Carlton.

Meteoric Rise would support me on this.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why these experts on here bring up Brisbane, he's not going to be the same coach.

He over rated the Brions List. He will not make the same mistake this time. He is a good communicator. I expect around 10 or so players have been told they must deliver or be delisted or traded for Sanboys like SPS.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
He over rated the Brions List. He will not make the same mistake this time. He is a good communicator. I expect around 10 or so players have been told they must deliver or be delisted or traded for Sanboys like SPS.
Off the top of my head i would say he's probably been in the Port Adelaide system longer than he was coaching Brisbane.

Off the top of my head i would say he's probably been in the Port Adelaide system longer than he was coaching Brisbane.

Probably right. Hopefully for the necessary list cleansing at the Blues, Voss uses Boak and Butters as benchmarks. Neither may be A graders talent wise but are A+ for absolute commitment.

Back