EPL Matchday 18 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Draw not a bad result considering we had 5 covid outs and a league cup midfield playing. Right to go ahead and play the game I feel, would have been unfair on Spurs after Leicester refused to play under similar circumstances.
Draw was a great result for you guys, an inform Kane would have had a hatty.

When did that happen?

Just found the number, Leicester had 2 additional players test positive, meaning in total they had at most 7 players out with COVID. That's the same as Chelsea isn't it?

Rodgers' argument was that their injuries were 'COVID related' because COVID meant they couldn't rotate the injured players which is just ridiculous logic to use. End of the day, the majority of their outs were normal run of the mill injuries, and they gamed the system.

Just found the number, Leicester had 2 additional players test positive, meaning in total they had at most 7 players out with COVID. That's the same as Chelsea isn't it?
I havent seen any announcement from Leicester about how many were unavailable for the Spurs game.

There were 7 unavailable for various reasons, then another two. But at that stage the Spurs game was still on. Presume they've had more cases since.

Either way, I'm not sure Leicester have ever refused to play.

I havent seen any announcement from Leicester about how many were unavailable for the Spurs game.

There were 7 unavailable for various reasons, then another two. But at that stage the Spurs game was still on. Presume they've had more cases since.

Brendan Rodgers revealed on Wednesday that the Foxes had sought a postponement as they expected to be without 11 players due to Covid and illness-related issues; that number has since rised, with two fresh Covid cases reported.

No, those extra two were the trigger for the cancellation.

Rodgers' argument was that their injuries were 'COVID related' because COVID meant they couldn't rotate the injured players which is just ridiculous logic to use. End of the day, the majority of their outs were normal run of the mill injuries, and they gamed the system.
It's a bit confusing - I think possibly Jorginho and RLC were false positives? But they were kept out regardless. Not sure.

But I think Tuchel's point was essentially that there were positive tests after they had all travelled - so most likely there are actually more positive cases since they all bussed together.

So who knows what the numbers were, and no signs of Leicester refusing to play.

Sorry? The article states quite clearly what the numbers were.

If Chelsea had false positives that's a different story, but it would be good to know what the threshold is. I.e. if Leeds get a single COVID case can they get their games called off because they have so few players available?

If Chelsea had false positives that's a different story, but it would be good to know what the threshold is. I.e. if Leeds get a single COVID case can they get their games called off because they have so few players available?
I did see something like this as well - technically we have 19 players "available" which I think just means not currently injured/COVID.

Of those 19 players, there were a few nowhere near match fitness however and in our case included both backup keepers.

There isn't a set number of positive cases before a game gets called off as far as I know. There's a number of different factors used.

And I'm still none the wiser about how many covid cases Leicester have. But I'm sure I'll learn to live with it.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

So basically he thinks his squad is s**t?

He had a bench of a Brazilian international, two England internationals, a Greek international and a Japanese international. Add to that Neco Williams who has played a fair amount and you have 6 of 9 subs who aren't GKs and are experienced and decent enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So yeah, every big decision went Spurs' way.

Clear sending off for Kane, ignored.

Stone wall pen for Jota, ignored.

Every other decision was right. Just the two glaring wrong ones hurt us and helped Spurs but it is what it is. We just move on to the next one and try to keep winning every game.
If Jota's a penalty so was the one on Winks by Matip

I did see something like this as well - technically we have 19 players "available" which I think just means not currently injured/COVID.

Of those 19 players, there were a few nowhere near match fitness however and in our case included both backup keepers.

The thing I don't quite understand with this is that yes you might have had 19 available from your senior squad (which always excludes players under 23 I'm 99% sure), but your u23s would include plenty of good players, for example Mount I'm pretty sure can be included in that squad. So while your senior squad is depleted, you would have still been able to name a more than competitive and quality 19 man matchday squad from the two.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
The thing I don't quite understand with this is that yes you might have had 19 available from your senior squad (which always excludes players under 23 I'm 99% sure), but your u23s would include plenty of good players, for example Mount I'm pretty sure can be included in that squad. So while your senior squad is depleted, you would have still been able to name a more than competitive and quality 19 man matchday squad from the two.
This is what I dont get, we have plenty of development squad and youf players to fill the bench with.

Pretty sure TT mentioned they don’t want to use u23 squad because there in a different bubble.

Suppose that makes sense. I also just had a look and guys like Sarr, Chalobah and Mount are in the senior squad which surprised me. I remember back in the day we had some of our first team players listed as u23s so that we could bring in more players for our senior squad and not breach the 25 man cap.

Yeah I think what Hamez said is correct with keeping separate bubbles. Might have been different as well if it was a home game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back