2022-Where’s the improvement coming from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Professionalism in general has changed the way its thought about. What was the blokes name at Melb that kicked 18 and and retired to the country at 25 years old...

FA. has changed things to a degree..but it also the the number of clubs, the draft. ..and not being able to access quality players..and at the same time.. players having more control... so even if you draft players..they could pack up and want out. .. It makes the older guys wanting to come to a club easy to get , cheap and probably effective to a point. If we had won a flag doing it, we may have change the system.

Fred Fanning.
Never mind him though, heaps of players from our 1951-52 flag winning team flew the coop to make some $ in other leagues ..

Professionalism in general has changed the way its thought about. What was the blokes name at Melb that kicked 18 and and retired to the country at 25 years old...

FA. has changed things to a degree..but it also the the number of clubs, the draft. ..and not being able to access quality players..and at the same time.. players having more control... so even if you draft players..they could pack up and want out. .. It makes the older guys wanting to come to a club easy to get , cheap and probably effective to a point. If we had won a flag doing it, we may have change the system.
On a related note I wonder if that explains why teams have had recent dynasties the way us, Hawks and Tigers have done.
Best teams have a greater professionalism to get most from their talent and where premiership hangovers are from a bygone era

On a related note I wonder if that explains why teams have had recent dynasties the way us, Hawks and Tigers have done.
Our dynasty was more than years ago now :( and was built around a group of players who we reunited through the draft - Ottens being the exception, but Geelong was not a desirable football location when he switched. The hawks likewise had draft talent with Hodge, Rioli, Franklin etc and the Tiges principally through Dusty and to a lesser degree Cotchin. We've done pretty well with FA, but not won big. Import talent is helpful to bolster a system but is yet to be proven as a reliable base for a premiership team

Our dynasty was more than years ago now :( and was built around a group of players who we reunited through the draft - Ottens being the exception, but Geelong was not a desirable football location when he switched. The hawks likewise had draft talent with Hodge, Rioli, Franklin etc and the Tiges principally through Dusty and to a lesser degree Cotchin. We've done pretty well with FA, but not won big. Import talent is helpful to bolster a system but is yet to be proven as a reliable base for a premiership team
Yes we have 11 years olds that have never seen a flag now

I don't think there's a player in the competition now who voluntarily retires. The money is so good, they'd be nuts to walk away from it. They'll only retire when the club tells them they're getting delisted.

Im not sure id totally agree with that i mean some players retire while contracted-rance is an obvious example and theres a heap of other lower profile ones in recent years but i do agree that a small percentage of players probably do hang on (longer than they should) for financial reasons.

Cameron looks to be caught out of position v Byrnes
Disappointing
Maybe Cameron didn't want to piss off the new coach on his first day...

You can now add Melbourne to that list. Dogs in 2016 also.

Cats 07-11
Hawks 13-15
Tigers 17-20
Melbourne 21

Are all the same. Drafted a lot of players but fell short.
Then achieved success once they traded to fill the holes.

We've still drafted a s**t ton of footballers the last 10 years, and have the time over I'd go the same path.
The bottom out and numerous top 10 picks method is beneath us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think the lesser draft picks are just as important as the high ones. Obviously early draft picks help if you have them, but every single one of those premiership teams had (and in Melbourne's case right now, have) a stack of very, very good footballers taken anywhere from picks 20 to 60 (and sometimes even later - Dylan Grimes going in the pre-season draft has to be one of the great 'wtf' decisions in modern recruiting).

To me it's gorging yourself at the draft table that matters. Take as many picks as possible, develop them, and be patient. It seems to work very very well. No other method works. At all.

I actually think the lesser draft picks are just as important as the high ones. Obviously early draft picks help if you have them, but every single one of those premiership teams had (and in Melbourne's case right now, have) a stack of very, very good footballers taken anywhere from picks 20 to 60 (and sometimes even later - Dylan Grimes going in the pre-season draft has to be one of the great 'wtf' decisions in modern recruiting).

To me it's gorging yourself at the draft table that matters. Take as many picks as possible, develop them, and be patient. It seems to work very very well. No other method works. At all.
How good would a Dylan Grimes type be right now for Geelongs last pick.

Last edited:

Bullflogs 2016 premiership side Half a dozen rookies and half a dozen 40+ selections.

I just cant agree with you on mass is more more important that quality. If we do not access guys good enough that can advance to be AA level, then no matter how many draft picks we have it will fall short imo

Our improvement is going to come from the kids who push players through VFL form to lift their game. But I also think we will see one of our 18 or 19 year olds take a position by the scruff of the neck and make it theirs. Maybe a Conway, Neale or Stevens will step up this year alongside Holmes.

1639921818755.png

Might be too early for the youngest player on our list in Cooper Whyte, who according to footywire is going to be a 2 year old when the season starts next year.
I know we were recruiting young to offset the older players, but thats taking the piss surely.

That said, well done to Mrs Whyte, because if Cooper is 181cm and 73kgs at 1 year and 9 months than imagine how ******* big he was when she gave birth to him.

Our improvement is going to come from the kids who push players through VFL form to lift their game. But I also think we will see one of our 18 or 19 year olds take a position by the scruff of the neck and make it theirs. Maybe a Conway, Neale or Stevens will step up this year alongside Holmes.

View attachment 1299799

Might be too early for the youngest player on our list in Cooper Whyte, who according to footywire is going to be a 2 year old when the season starts next year.
I know we were recruiting young to offset the older players, but thats taking the piss surely.

That said, well done to Mrs Whyte, because if Cooper is 181cm and 73kgs at 1 year and 9 months than imagine how ******* big he was when she gave birth to him.
I heard James Kelly was a stay-at-home dad prior to taking on the assistant coach role. Maybe they brought him in to take care of those players in the terrible 2s.

I just cant agree with you on mass is more more important that quality. If we do not access guys good enough that can advance to be AA level, then no matter how many draft picks we have it will fall short imo

You mean like having guys like Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman, Cameron Ling, Mitch Duncan, Corey Enright, Darren Milburn, and Josh Hunt all taken in the 20s or later? Didn't seem to need top 5, top 10, or even early picks to grab them.

Four - Boyd, Bont, Macrae and Stringer.

I doubt anyone deny the importance of that group.

One can be lucky and find players that other clubs have passed over that develop into AA level players, but there has to be a high level of luck. Players picked at the sharp end of the draft are known commodities. Not certanties but imo, you juts can not suceed without at least one, probably more than one. Would Rich have beaten us without Martin? Does Melb look as good without Petrrica.Sooner or later, we will need to add kids from that spot in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back