Remove this Banner Ad

B: Grimes Tarrant Vlastuin
HB: Stack Balta Broad
C: Short Cotchin Rioli
HF: Edwards Lynch Lambert
F: Baker Riewoldt Bolton
Foll: Soldo Martin Prestia
I/C: Nankervis Collier-Dawkins Graham Ross

If the idea of playing Balta forward - essentially making Jack the third tall - is more than just an idea, then I can see Miller playing key defence.

If the idea of playing Balta forward - essentially making Jack the third tall - is more than just an idea, then I can see Miller playing key defence.
I want to see Dimma be far more creative and proactive at the section table next year (make changes by R4 no later), if this means dropping the old guard to add a Miller/move Balta forward than do it. I dont want to see a repeat of making critical selections (ie. including a second ruck, dropping George & Aarts) in R13 & R21. Those mistakes made at selection were imo just as catastrophic to our season as the injuries were.

Ready :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
dont underestimate,the ability,desire,intelligence and positivity these talented youngsters can bring to a hardened,@ times idle,experienced group
looking for a spike in inspiration and direction
after all Daniel Rioli played 18 games after being drafted,wots the difference this time around,? this guys even more talented

Last edited:
Mansell Grimes Balta
Vlastuin Tarrant Rioli
Short Martin Stack
Riewoldt Edwards Lambert
Bolton Lynch Cotchin
Nankervis Baker Prestia
Graham Ralphsmith Broad Collier-Dawkins
Emergencies: McIntosh Pickett Ross

Ready :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
dont underestimate,the ability,desire,intelligence and positivity these talented youngsters can bring to a hardened,@ times idle,experienced group
looking for a spike in inspiration and direction
after all Daniel Rioli played 18 games after being drafted,wots the difference this time around,? this guys even more talented
Smart post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mansell Grimes Balta
Vlastuin Tarrant Rioli
Short Martin Stack
Riewoldt Edwards Lambert
Bolton Lynch Cotchin
Nankervis Baker Prestia
Graham Ralphsmith Broad Collier-Dawkins
Emergencies: McIntosh Pickett Ross

Surely can't have a forward line that old with Cotchin Edwards Lambert and the 2 talls. It might work if our midfield were completely dominating, but when the ball is up the other end it wont threaten on the counter attack, which is what you need in modern footy.

I think for us to have a good season we need to find 2 good small forwards, hopefully its Baker and Stack, then have Jack Lynch Bolton/Martin Lambert/Edwards in the other 4 spots.

B: Grimes Tarrant Vlastuin
HB: Short Balta Broad
C: McIntosh Graham Rioli
HF: Baker Lynch Lambert
F: Aarts/Castagna Riewoldt Bolton
Foll: Soldo Martin Prestia
I/C: Nankervis Cotchin Edwards Collier Dawkins Dow Gibcus Mansell Ross Ralphsmith Stack Pickett

Bloody hard to pick a starting side, so many pieces of the puzzle that can be shuffled around if needs be.

Backline was easiest to pick. Grimes/Tarrant/Vlastiun/Balta/Short/Broad all locks!! Little bit on tall side so Baker or Rioli down back at times is fine.

I think Cotchin comes off bench this year as midfield rotation. Graham takes starting defensive mid role with Prestia and Martin ball winners. Lack of speed is concern which is why I think Bolton will start midfield a lot more and Martin up forward.

Loved Rioli on half back flank but no reason why he can't own a wing. McIntosh has his haters but this bloke plays the wing role to perfection.

Lambert/Edwards both midfield rotations. Martin rests up forward. Prestia and Graham bench rest.

Nank/Soldo straight swap with Nank also going forward if needed to cover for Lynch/Riewoldt if they need a break.

Lynch to play high this year, Riewoldt deep.

Aarts or Castagna as small forward with Baker, only one of these two as they are forwards only and it's already a stacked side. I like castagna as makes things happen from nothing but is inconsistent.

The remaining bench spots would depend on matchup and form.

Stiff: Pickett

Either way, I think at full health we still have a very talented side that can go deep into September.

Not sure how others are looking at the team but me im looking at and trying to identify the areas where we are poor and lack cover and then try and find the players to fill the roles as best as i can. You have to ask yourself where we will be if injuries occur, you have to ask yourself do some of the players lack in critical areas for the roles they perform.

First and foremost you have to be open to not only change but open to the fact we have been poor in areas and definately lack cover in some.
You have to be open to premiership players making way for others.

The biggest depth problem or cover problem we have and its the one im focusing on here is the total lack of any sort of Key Forward outside the starting two who lets be honest are getting on.

We have two choices here. Do nothing and hope injury or poor form does not happen, and if it does happen be up s**t creek without a paddle or in this case realistic mature option. Or we can pick the most suited ready to go player we have and start playing him in the role so if an injury does happen he can step up to play kpf with games behind him as a fwd and with a real idea of the workings of the fwd half.

That best option has to be Balta nearing 50 games played well in the role as a junior and we started him out as a fwd.
Rance retiring forced us to play him in defence. This is not about weather Balta is the best young defender we have, its about weather we have options to take his place in the back half so we can release him forward. We dont have other realistic options to play fwd and we really need the cover a genuine realistic chance to play and hold down kpf.

Imo we have just the one option to play kpd and that is Ben Miller and he is not taking Balta's spot but Dave Astbury's. Tarrant replaces Balta.
We are talking genuine key defender here and that means height and size and a mature body to stand big bodied forwards.

Some say Gibcus he weighed in at 81 kg for the draft and he will take time to develop into a genuine KEY DEFENDER SIZE.
We could play him as a third tall in defense thats what his idol jake lever did in his formative years, For gods sake a running defender like alex Rance took 3 or 4 seasons. The trouble atm for Gibcus is he is up against Grimes and Broad and for now he is behind both.

So throw him fwd i hear people say. sheesh like most here i have seen little of this kid but what i can gather about him he has struggled whenever he has played fwd. I get the feeling he needs the play in front of him.

Until he bulks up and gets the genuine strength needed for Afl let him play defence in the two's and develop in the role he so stood out in as a junior.

For me finding a viable key forward otion for this year is not a choice but a real need.

Not sure how others are looking at the team but me im looking at and trying to identify the areas where we are poor and lack cover and then try and find the players to fill the roles as best as i can. You have to ask yourself where we will be if injuries occur, you have to ask yourself do some of the players lack in critical areas for the roles they perform.

First and foremost you have to be open to not only change but open to the fact we have been poor in areas and definately lack cover in some.
You have to be open to premiership players making way for others.

The biggest depth problem or cover problem we have and its the one im focusing on here is the total lack of any sort of Key Forward outside the starting two who lets be honest are getting on.

We have two choices here. Do nothing and hope injury or poor form does not happen, and if it does happen be up sh*t creek without a paddle or in this case realistic mature option. Or we can pick the most suited ready to go player we have and start playing him in the role so if an injury does happen he can step up to play kpf with games behind him as a fwd and with a real idea of the workings of the fwd half.

That best option has to be Balta nearing 50 games played well in the role as a junior and we started him out as a fwd.
Rance retiring forced us to play him in defence. This is not about weather Balta is the best young defender we have, its about weather we have options to take his place in the back half so we can release him forward. We dont have other realistic options to play fwd and we really need the cover a genuine realistic chance to play and hold down kpf.

Imo we have just the one option to play kpd and that is Ben Miller and he is not taking Balta's spot but Dave Astbury's. Tarrant replaces Balta.
We are talking genuine key defender here and that means height and size and a mature body to stand big bodied forwards.

Some say Gibcus he weighed in at 81 kg for the draft and he will take time to develop into a genuine KEY DEFENDER SIZE.
We could play him as a third tall in defense thats what his idol jake lever did in his formative years, For gods sake a running defender like alex Rance took 3 or 4 seasons. The trouble atm for Gibcus is he is up against Grimes and Broad and for now he is behind both.

So throw him fwd i hear people say. sheesh like most here i have seen little of this kid but what i can gather about him he has struggled whenever he has played fwd. I get the feeling he needs the play in front of him.

Until he bulks up and gets the genuine strength needed for Afl let him play defence in the two's and develop in the role he so stood out in as a junior.

For me finding a viable key forward otion for this year is not a choice but a real need.
The option of Miler forward is also one that has not been tried. I saw him play half a ressie game at CHF and he looked like such a natural there. Second half, back at FB. I would hope they train both he and Balta forward and back over summer.

Another who never gets mentioned is Bigoa. He is a big unit now, about 198cm and 95kg, and about the best athlete in the AFL. He is not on the list to make up numbers. Yes he is raw but he has played forward as a junior and would be a presence. We have not seen much of him, but he may surprise this year. So whilst the numbers look bare, with Gibcus as longer term backup, you just never know.

Grimes, Tarrant, Vlastin
Rioli, Balta, Broad
Short, Martin, Cotchin
Castagna, Lynch, Baker
Caddy, Riewoltd, Bolton
Soldo, Prestia, Graham
Stack, Nank, Edwards, Lambert

E - Pickett, McIntosh, Mansell,Collier Dawkins

Grimes, Tarrant, Vlastin
Rioli, Balta, Broad
Short, Martin, Cotchin
Castagna, Lynch, Baker
Caddy, Riewoltd, Bolton
Soldo, Prestia, Graham
Stack, Nank, Edwards, Lambert

E - Pickett, McIntosh, Mansell,Collier Dawkins
Not sure many are going to agree with Cotch on a wing. Most are trying to put him permanent forward, or off the bench for mid stints. Personally, I'd prefer him not to change his role one bit (except his Capt role). He starts in the middle and has only slightly reduced on field minutes and forward at times. Rested in the middle of the season when the niggles/strains occur. For me, a wing is not where he spends his final season(s). He's not a natural distance runner like Richo.

The option of Miler forward is also one that has not been tried. I saw him play half a ressie game at CHF and he looked like such a natural there. Second half, back at FB. I would hope they train both he and Balta forward and back over summer.

Another who never gets mentioned is Bigoa. He is a big unit now, about 198cm and 95kg, and about the best athlete in the AFL. He is not on the list to make up numbers. Yes he is raw but he has played forward as a junior and would be a presence. We have not seen much of him, but he may surprise this year. So whilst the numbers look bare, with Gibcus as longer term backup, you just never know.
Miller was drafted as a forward and could be tried there again but my take on it is he did nothing as a fwd with us early days and for the last few years has been developed as a key defender.

Nyuon i feel is still too far away from afl footy and very much still developing. if he was going great we would never have delisted him. Has always looked to be a defender to me.
Of the three Balta by some margin has always looked the most likely to be capable of holding down a key forward post and the best chance of the other two making it is as a defender. Miller is now into year 4 is a big unit and is now fully physically developed there is no reason why he should not be able to do a job like Astbury did.Fact is he is bigger more athletic stronger and faster and suited physically to play on the bigger key fwds.

This is just my opinion im not just looking at this year. in two years time Tarrant won,'t be there, a good chance Grimes is gone. we in all likelyhood need Gibcus to take over Grimes role. With at least one of Miller and Nyuon kpd to develop into good AFL players.

Last comment on this if we dont start developing Balta as a fwd then id say we will be forced to go hard for a mature key fwd or two next year.
Imo we have got it wrong we should have had a likely replacement for the key posts in our system ages ago and that does not mean Half ruckman half forward but not quite either types like CC-J and Chol boy how we have failed with those types over the years.

Miller was drafted as a forward and could be tried there again but my take on it is he did nothing as a fwd with us early days and for the last few years has been developed as a key defender.

Nyuon i feel is still too far away from afl footy and very much still developing. if he was going great we would never have delisted him. Has always looked to be a defender to me.
Of the three Balta by some margin has always looked the most likely to be capable of holding down a key forward post and the best chance of the other two making it is as a defender. Miller is now into year 4 is a big unit and is now fully physically developed there is no reason why he should not be able to do a job like Astbury did.Fact is he is bigger more athletic stronger and faster and suited physically to play on the bigger key fwds.

This is just my opinion im not just looking at this year. in two years time Tarrant won,'t be there, a good chance Grimes is gone. we in all likelyhood need Gibcus to take over Grimes role. With at least one of Miller and Nyuon kpd to develop into good AFL players.

Last comment on this if we dont start developing Balta as a fwd then id say we will be forced to go hard for a mature key fwd or two next year.
Imo we have got it wrong we should have had a likely replacement for the key posts in our system ages ago and that does not mean Half ruckman half forward but not quite either types like CC-J and Chol boy how we have failed with those types over the years.
I've watched a fair bit of reserves over the years and apart from a few games in his first year, he has been used pretty much entirely as a back. He and Balta played our key back roles in Balta's VFL days. As I said, he filled in up forward for a half a game that I can remember and was really good, that is the last I've seen of him forward. I was apprehensive about getting Tarrant in case Miller decided to look for greener pastures, but he stayed and will get more opportunity this year for sure.

I agree with both Balta forward and have been saying so for a good while now, and Miller back. Not sure if he is best 22 with Grimes, Broad and Tarrant all able to play on talls, but against some sides he will be needed. Like you I am not unhappy to see the back of Chol, who teased like Griffith, and CCJ who is not a true forward and wants to be a ruckman fist and foremost.

Jack is pretty durable, although pretty sure it will be his last season. Lynch is likewise durable these days, so the structure is there. Reckon Balta is the missing piece at CHF though. The cupboard is bare, but if Biggy and Gibcus come one, and we draft/recruit another tall next year, then things will not be as bare as they seem. If injuries hit like last two season, we may be in trouble.

People including guys like Castagna and Aarts in our first 22.....then others say that guys like Sonsie and Gibcus dont have a spot with their elite fitness and impact.

I think with a slight adjustment of structure there is an obvious answer.

I've watched a fair bit of reserves over the years and apart from a few games in his first year, he has been used pretty much entirely as a back. He and Balta played our key back roles in Balta's VFL days. As I said, he filled in up forward for a half a game that I can remember and was really good, that is the last I've seen of him forward. I was apprehensive about getting Tarrant in case Miller decided to look for greener pastures, but he stayed and will get more opportunity this year for sure.

I agree with both Balta forward and have been saying so for a good while now, and Miller back. Not sure if he is best 22 with Grimes, Broad and Tarrant all able to play on talls, but against some sides he will be needed. Like you I am not unhappy to see the back of Chol, who teased like Griffith, and CCJ who is not a true forward and wants to be a ruckman fist and foremost.

Jack is pretty durable, although pretty sure it will be his last season. Lynch is likewise durable these days, so the structure is there. Reckon Balta is the missing piece at CHF though. The cupboard is bare, but if Biggy and Gibcus come one, and we draft/recruit another tall next year, then things will not be as bare as they seem. If injuries hit like last two season, we may be in trouble.
Their was a reason why injuries hit us big time last year...it was the cumulative physical effect of playing 4 continuous final campaigns from '17 till '20...
Their simply was no R+R for the finals campaigners...the longer seasons took their physical toll on weary bodies...
Will be interesting to see how we go in 2021...freshened up and rested...cos the talent is still there...

People including guys like Castagna and Aarts in our first 22.....then others say that guys like Sonsie and Gibcus dont have a spot with their elite fitness and impact.

I think with a slight adjustment of structure there is an obvious answer.

Unless we drafted a ready made player or some one that just oozes talent day one... Aarts and George will be ahead of them.

People like to forget that the Tigers are a systems based team and Dimma calls for role players that know the system.

Dimma said we will go again, so i cant imagine any of the draft players getting in if our team stays fit.

Side note, covid protocols will make sure we play injured all year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back