Society/Culture How do you promote a pest?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

notice how the very first word listed as dangerous words is pests?

along with filth, parasites, disease and demons.

please either shut this thread down, Or can the op, who is a good poster normally, change the op to remove pests.

and claiming that pests is a metaphor to emphasise an annoying person is not ok. The use of such metaphors is the very problem. It creates the idea of people as being sub human by linking them to a sub human thing. Used collectively by a majority it leads to unjust discrimination against the groups its targetted against and is the key common feature of genocide.

this is not ok bigfooty. This must stop. Its as bad as calling someone from a minority race a monkey. another metaphor for annoying person.

Last edited:

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast

notice how the very first word listed as dangerous words is pests?

along with filth, parasites, disease and demons.

please either shut this thread down, Or can the op, who is a good poster normally, change the op to remove pests.

and claiming that pests is a metaphor to emphasise an annoying person is not ok. The use of such metaphors is the very problem. It creates the idea of people as being sub human by linking them to a sub human thing. Used collectively by a majority it leads to unjust discrimination against the groups its targetted against and is the key common feature of genocide.

this is not ok bigfooty. This must stop. Its as bad as calling someone from a minority race a monkey. another metaphor for annoying person.
I love the subtle troll at the end where you suggest that 'monkey' is only a metaphor for an annoying person lmao.

Are you about to tell us why porch monkey is actually an acceptable term now?

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dangerous covid talking points are coming just as much from the far left as the far right. why do you think byron bay is the anti vaccination capital of australia?
That's not true.
But I do take note that you admit it's "dangerous".

Its not more difficult. you just have to engage. Its the not engaging part that is the problem.
Please read my post that you've quoted.

Please dont dehumanise. Never call a group of people termites no matter how much you disagree with them. This is what leads to genocide.
This is the "intolerance of the intolerant" line, repackaged.

you are justifying is the use of the word pest to describe a group of people which is even worse. All of you should be carded and given a week off for accepting and supporting the dehumunisation of a group of people. Disgraceful behaviour. Not acceptable in a modern society.
Removing all context, and taking you at face value. In isolation, I can see the point you're trying to make.

In reality, as the discussion is around white supremacists, homophobes, anti-vax grifters, etc I find your position meaningless.

I am intolerant of these intolerant people. If these words are dehumanising of people who hold an ideology that dehumanises people... Good.
It reduces the dangerous impact that their ideology and their movements can have in our society.

It is absurd for you to take issue with the "woke left", while defending white supremacists from language used against them.

You seem to be reusing a very well known gaslighting technic.
The real racists are the anti-racists.​
The real sexists are the anti-sexists.​
The real homophobes are the anti-homophobes.​
"Calling out racism, is identifying people by their skin colour, which is racist!".

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Cos they were called monkeys and vermin and more importantly were literally kept as slaves in chains. The ultimate form of dehumanisation.

the reason the N word is despised so much is due to association. Its not what it actually meant or implied. Its a period that it is associated with and the terrible treatment that occured at that time. And people have become confused between the two.

notice how african americans sometimes use the N word as a phrase for each other today? Well they never call each other monkeys, rats or pests. And thats cos the meaning of the N word isnt all that bad In comparison to the dehumanising words. You can strip words of association. You cant strip them of literal meaning.

note i would never use the word personally. I dont believe we should label someone by their skin colour (and i would never speak spanish). But dehumanisation words are worse.

words are labels for things and nothing more. There is no power to words beyond the thing they describe. But describing a group of people as a sub human species or disease is as bad a descriptiom as you can use.
This is some of the most tortured logic Ive ever seen.

At least you've remained consistent by avoiding generalities. Wait...

Another thread of woke lefties back slapping each other with emotional language and refusing to engage in reason. Just pathetic.

I will call them any word I want. Rats. Vermin. Termites. The worst that will happen is that they may be stopped from entering a cafe once every 20 times they want a cap.

Especially when amongst their ranks are literal nazis who I actually wish much worse on.

So yeah, they're vermin.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
This is some of the most tortured logic Ive ever seen.

At least you've remained consistent by avoiding generalities. Wait...

I will call them any word I want. Rats. Vermin. Termites. The worst that will happen is that they may be stopped from entering a cafe once every 20 times they want a cap.

Especially when amongst their ranks are literal nazis who I actually wish much worse on.

So yeah, they're vermin.
Don't hurt the Nazis' feelings :(

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Cos they were called monkeys and vermin and more importantly were literally kept as slaves in chains. The ultimate form of dehumanisation.

the reason the N word is despised so much is due to association. Its not what it actually meant or implied. Its a period that it is associated with and the terrible treatment that occured at that time. And people have become confused between the two.

notice how african americans sometimes use the N word as a phrase for each other today? Well they never call each other monkeys, rats or pests. And thats cos the meaning of the N word isnt all that bad In comparison to the dehumanising words. You can strip words of association. You cant strip them of literal meaning.

note i would never use the word personally. I dont believe we should label someone by their skin colour (and i would never speak spanish). But dehumanisation words are worse.

words are labels for things and nothing more. There is no power to words beyond the thing they describe. But describing a group of people as a sub human species or disease is as bad a descriptiom as you can use.

You have just subconsciously helped cement the point I was making.

I think the black American community are doing themselves a serious disservice calling each other that word.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
That's not true.
But I do take note that you admit it's "dangerous".

Please read my post that you've quoted.

This is the "intolerance of the intolerant" line, repackaged.

Removing all context, and taking you at face value. In isolation, I can see the point you're trying to make.

In reality, as the discussion is around white supremacists, homophobes, anti-vax grifters, etc I find your position meaningless.

I am intolerant of these intolerant people. If these words are dehumanising of people who hold an ideology that dehumanises people... Good.
It reduces the dangerous impact that their ideology and their movements can have in our society.

It is absurd for you to take issue with the "woke left", while defending white supremacists from language used against them.

You seem to be reusing a very well known gaslighting technic.
The real racists are the anti-racists.​
The real sexists are the anti-sexists.​
The real homophobes are the anti-homophobes.​
"Calling out racism, is identifying people by their skin colour, which is racist!".
I dont defend white supremacists. Please apologise for that comment. not once have i defended them. If you can show otherwise go ahead but if you cant you need to take that back. I despise that lot more than most of you. Although probably for different reasons then you do. Im not going to post why white supremacy is bad in response to a bunch of lefties. you kind of already know.

you seem to be stuck in the concept of an eye for eye. A very antiquated concept that usually only simple conservatives believe in. Intolerance and dehumanization is not the response to the intolerant and dehumanizers. all it does is create a cycle of intoerance and dehumanisation. also most people who use dehumanising terms believe they are using them on the intolerant and dehumanizers. left wing dictators have risen to power before and then murdered those who they thought were dehumanizing. Just as right wing dictators have in the past. You are just participating in one of the key drivers of that cycle. please stop. Please remove pests from your op. As the article states. We need to make it very clear to young children to stop using dehumanizing terms. Its the only way to stop the cycle that creates unjust discrimination, segregation and sometimes genocide. Dont you think that would be a good thing to aim for?

Although despite saying you only use that word for other dehumanizers this thread started off calling anti vaxers and those against vaccine mandates as pests. How are anti vaxers and those advocating for mandates even dehumanizing others? They are idiots but they dont dehumanise. It seems like your own argument justifying intolerance and dehumanization (not a good one) doesnt even apply to your op where you have used it.

also just saying im wrong that a large portion of anti vaxers are from the left isnt really an argument. explain why the byron bay shire is the biggest anti vaxer region in australia and has been for decades? i probably would be living in byron if it wasnt for all the anti vaxers. Why do you need to pretend anti vaxers are just right wingers? Can you not be against something if some left wingers are against it as well? Is your ideaology really this teams based?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
You have just subconsciously helped cement the point I was making.

I think the black American community are doing themselves a serious disservice calling each other that word.
Why do you think they are doing themselves a disservice?

i think they they are stripping it of all the negative association and thereby eliminating a "bad" word from being used to humiliate them. You cant do that for dehumanizing words but you can do that for words thats literal meaning is a colour.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Please dont dehumanise. Never call a group of people termites no matter how much you disagree with them. This is what leads to genocide.

Although in most cases I'd agree with you, this time I'm going to sound horrible and harsh and distinctly un-xmassy but I think I'll stand by what I've said. Termites. That's what I believe the Racist Right are (as opposed to run-of-the-mill right wing conservatives and conservatism which I merely disagree with) and that's what I'll continue to call them.

Termites.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Although in most cases I'd agree with you, this time I'm going to sound horrible and harsh and distinctly un-xmassy but I think I'll stand by what I've said. Termites. That's what I believe the Racist Right are (as opposed to run-of-the-mill right wing conservatives and conservatism which I merely disagree with) and that's what I'll continue to call them.

Termites.

There is only one justification for dehumanising a group. And that's because you believe their actions and beliefs are so horrific that they are worthy of life long imprisonment or extermination. Not just individuals within the group but the whole group that you are labelling termites. Is this what you believe?

I personally don't even think this qualifies for Nazis. There's always at least some people within each group who are still redeemable. Can't think of a single group myself. But theoretically such a group could exist. Have they crossed this line with you?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is only one justification for dehumanising a group. And that's because you believe their actions and beliefs are so horrific that they are worthy of life long imprisonment or extermination. Not just individuals within the group but the whole group that you are labelling termites. Is this what you believe?

I personally don't even think this qualifies for Nazis. There's always at least some people within each group who are still redeemable. Can't think of a single group myself. But theoretically such a group could exist. Have they crossed this line with you?

I dont defend white supremacists. Please apologise for that comment. not once have i defended them. If you can show otherwise go ahead but if you cant you need to take that back. I despise that lot more than most of you.

I think you go through periods, where you just want to troll.
You don't engage with what's written, you can't refute what's said.

You use 'left wing' talking points, while denying the reason they exist in the first place.

"The real racists are the anti-racists!!!"

Even in this forum, it's been used for years.
"Intolerance of the intolerant is still intolerance!!! Freedom of speech!!! Voltaire!!!".

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Of course there are people on the outer edge of Far Right groups, like those who are new to the movement through Far Right infiltration and recruitment drives via other fringe events like the anti-vax movement, who are still reachable.

BUT.

The ideals of racial supremacy, any racial supremacy (in fairness lets not just limit ourselves to white supremacy here) itself roundly rejects humanity. It finds repulsive the notion of something we all have an equal share in as a species, and in doing so the Racist Right cuts itself off from the collective and dehumanises itself.

Damned by its own hand.

If it ever became the dominant ideology (and history shows again and again how in times of turmoil 'fringe' ideologies can suddenly become appealing to the disaffected) then the Racist Right would destroy everything an inclusive, secular multicultural society hopes to be. Everything I value in life. There would be no co-existence. There would be no variety. No religious freedoms as religions frequently exist along ethnic lines.

There would be no life apart from whichever racial majority rules.

If these were just a handful of morons waving placards angrily and wailing about immigrants taking all the jobs it would be one thing. They could be disagreed with and that would be that. But that's not the end game, is it? They see power, real political power, as something that could be within their grasp if they applied a few tweaks, if they started whispering in the ears of those worried about vaccine mandates and compulsory check-ins 'just to have a beer' and then amplify that message through social media. The wood of society, strong through so much before, can only stand so much chewing through.

It spreads and it spreads easily, and as society lurches from climate change through pandemic towards a jittery and uncertain future you'd better believe that the extremists on the edge of a brittle collective will be salivating at the thought that their time has come around at last.

No, it's better to call them as they are. They ARE termites.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Of course there are people on the outer edge of Far Right groups, like those who are new to the movement through Far Right infiltration and recruitment drives via other fringe events like the anti-vax movement, who are still reachable.

BUT.

The ideals of racial supremacy, any racial supremacy (in fairness lets not just limit ourselves to white supremacy here) itself roundly rejects humanity. It finds repulsive the notion of something we all have an equal share in as a species, and in doing so the Racist Right cuts itself off from the collective and dehumanises itself.

Damned by its own hand.

If it ever became the dominant ideology (and history shows again and again how in times of turmoil 'fringe' ideologies can suddenly become appealing to the disaffected) then the Racist Right would destroy everything an inclusive, secular multicultural society hopes to be. Everything I value in life. There would be no co-existence. There would be no variety. No religious freedoms as religions frequently exist along ethnic lines.

There would be no life apart from whichever racial majority rules.

If these were just a handful of morons waving placards angrily and wailing about immigrants taking all the jobs it would be one thing. They could be disagreed with and that would be that. But that's not the end game, is it? They see power, real political power, as something that could be within their grasp if they applied a few tweaks, if they started whispering in the ears of those worried about vaccine mandates and compulsory check-ins 'just to have a beer' and then amplify that message through social media. The wood of society, strong through so much before, can only stand so much chewing through.

It spreads and it spreads easily, and as society lurches from climate change through pandemic towards a jittery and uncertain future you'd better believe that the extremists on the edge of a brittle collective will be salivating at the thought that their time has come around at last.

No, it's better to call them as they are. They ARE termites.
people and the evil ideologies they can support are not one and the same thing.

people can be mislead and misinformed. People can be forced to follow something under duress. ofcourse there are some people in these groups who are completely irredeemable. But they are not everyone from the group And are probably a very small percentage of pyschopaths. Most people have lots of good qualities.

do you believe in the death penalty?

Do you believe in group criminal punishment without individual trial?

i think you have to believe in both to even start to justify calling groups of people pests or diseases or vermin. And even if you do believe in both i would argue i think your beliefs are wrong. Certainly in the latter case.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Many had to join otherwise they and their families would of been murdered.

not all were monsters. Some (probably most) are just people in horrible circumstances who did horrible things because they felt their only alternative was their own death.

Do you stop and consider how you just wrapped your angel wings around some nazis but your attitude is always “hey those BigFooty.com woke lefties can go * themselves”?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you stop and consider how you just wrapped your angel wings around some nazis but your attitude is always “hey those BigFooty.com woke lefties can go fu** themselves”?
What? all i said is they arent all termites. They can definately go f*** themselves.

You get they are humans right?

look at the milgram experiment.

Most normal people tend to do terrible things when put in certain circumstances. They dont even need to be threatened with death or misfortune. Often all it takes is peer pressure or belief in authority

there is a darkness in many of you in the way you view some humans. Its scaring me a little to be honest. Instead of you viewing them as flawed misinformed people you are instead viewing them as monsters and diseases.

This is not right. This is exactly how nazism started in the first place. Repeating the mistakes of history.

Last edited:
Back