Rumour Bailey Smith mental health

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually one doesn't get a doctor to write up where one can work and where they can't when they are first getting in to an industry
Private school kids are precious little things. Only act hard when they can step over injured players on the field or go missing in grand finals.

I don't think anyone has ever been sceptical of the 'family reasons' behind leave, rather the 'personal issues' after considering past behaviours, rumours, general attitude, and a pretty loud off season.

If there's urgent issues with his family, absolutely, nothing to dive deeper in to there.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

This is like saying the flu isn't an illness because cancer and aids are worse.

I think he is more suggesting that if we changed the name flu to 'life altering illness' and people started getting that confused with actual instances of cancer then we would have a comparable problem to the confusion between mental health and mental illness.

The mother has bulimia. Supposedly his Sister as well.

Not sure about the severity.

Excellent source. Take it or leave it. I won't be commenting further.

Without putting too fine a point on it, this would certainly align with Bailey's own mental health challenges.

Private school kids are precious little things. Only act hard when they can step over injured players on the field or go missing in grand finals.

someone's parents were poor.

The mother has bulimia. Supposedly his Sister as well.

Not sure about the severity.

Excellent source. Take it or leave it. I won't be commenting further.
Interesting. Elsewhere a few days ago someone mentioned his mother was ill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone at the Daily Mail has been reading Bigfooty to write up a hit job on Baz. What a ridiculous article devoid of facts.

"Ridiculous article devoid of facts" can be used to describe anything ever published by the Daily Mail

Firstly, the distinction between "mental health issues" and "mental illnesses" is not one that is scientifically meaningful or accepted clinically. They are used interchangeably. Sure, there is a very significant and important difference between "feeling a bit depressed" and having a major depressive disorder or other depressive disorder - but a depressive disorder can be just as troubling or affect your life as much as a psychotic illness (side note: you might be interested to know that symptoms of psychosis can emerge from a depressive episode as well). Feeling down is a normal human experience, yes, but persistently feeling so to the point where it disrupts your life isn't typical. Normalising having these emotions is important, but so is normalising taking steps to look after your wellbeing (such as taking time off from stressful activities or accessing support) when it starts to become more than that.

Secondly, symptoms of schizophrenia and psychosis are seen as normal or even holy experiences in many cultures, so your argument about depression being a "western phenomenon" somehow minimising its status as a disorder doesn't really hold. Yes, Western cultural values inform our interpretation of these phenomena as disorders, but there are valid reasons for that - just as there are valid reasons for different appraisals cross-culturally.

Thirdly, nobody has any idea what Smith is experiencing, much less whether he has a mental illness or is just feeling a bit down (not that it matters). He has been very open about his experiences with anxiety disorders and mental health issues more broadly. There are any number of possibilities about the circumstances of his leave and it doesn't serve anybody to speculate about it. Nor does it matter.

Finally, re: "genuine" (yuck) mental illnesses being rarer than you'd think: I guess it depends on your frame of reference, but prevalence of schizophrenia is ~1% (lifetime prevalence of psychotic illness is 2-3%), lifetime prevalence of BPD approaches 6%, BPAD 2-3%, PTSD up to 5%, GAD 3%... I wouldn't call any of those particularly rare.

Comments like these perpetuate the stigmatisation of people experiencing mental health issues in society, and make it harder for people to access care and support when they need it. It's fine to have a different opinion, but when the opinions aren't really informed by current best evidence and societal norms they can quickly become damaging.

Depression is diff from schizophrenia and BPD. You used them interchangeably in your argument. There is a distinction. I'd bet the rates of both are quite consistent across populations if diagnosed accurately. The incidence of depression is far higher in Western Society. This is because of the way these societies are structured, not because the people are inherently different. That is why depression is far higher in Western countries. Send him to a third world s**t hole for 12 months. He will feel ashamed to be feeling depressed and act accordingly.

Yes, it is jealousy of those who can manipulate their work and also the medical system. Wish I could get doctors to write me up a note every time something was a bit hard. Wish I could get back in to my therapist after six months of system backlog.
fully living up to your name there fella, VERY EDGY

Really? Then why are we going through the procession of a draft? Just work wherever you want and cut out the middle man.
Interstate clubs could have still drafted him.
Nothing preventing them from doing it apart from potential issues with his mental health. Probably a blessing for interstate clubs that he was upfront about it.

Yes, it is jealousy of those who can manipulate their work and also the medical system. Wish I could get doctors to write me up a note every time something was a bit hard. Wish I could get back in to my therapist after six months of system backlog.
If biitching on Bigfooty helps you out, keep going. We are all ears.

No AFL has a salary cap and list sizes unlike the EPL. Take a look at other Australian National sporting leagues, all have salary caps, none have a draft. Don’t need to compare to what’s going on in England when we can see what’s going on in this country.

NSW people think they are entitled to young kids that have worked hard for themselves, their own dreams.

Every club and supporter can have hope if they work hard and build their club and region up to where players want and choose to play there.
Interstate clubs could have still drafted him.
Nothing preventing them from doing it apart from potential issues with his mental health. Probably a blessing for interstate clubs that he was upfront about it.

In his case would have to agree, seems his situation is very genuine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back