Draft Review 2009 - Revisiting the 2009 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I’m underrating Gawn but sits a level below all the other guys mentioned for mine.

If Cripps gets back to his best, big if I know, then 2013 isn’t far off 2009. Bont, Cripps plus Kelly/Merrett.

I’m still high on Heeney with 2014 so Petracca, Steele and Heeney is a promising trio as well.
5AAs he is an amazing ruckman.

Maybe I’m underrating Gawn but sits a level below all the other guys mentioned for mine.

If Cripps gets back to his best, big if I know, then 2013 isn’t far off 2009. Bont, Cripps plus Kelly/Merrett.

I’m still high on Heeney with 2014 so Petracca, Steele and Heeney is a promising trio as well.
Whoever ends up the top 3 out of Lukosius, Rankine, Walsh, B. King, M King, Smith, Butters and Thomas will be pretty bloody good.

01 depth is crazy. Bartel, Mitchell, Steve Johnson, Pre OP Ball, Swan, Lake and Sandilands would all be equal to or ahead of Gawn imo.
Bartel, Mitchell, Stevey J & Swan yes

You could argue that those above players are very similar to Fyfe & Martin too to be fair. 2001 was just insanity

No to the rest though

Ruck isn’t an overly deep position though. Gawn made AA this year and had a fairly average season by his standards imo.
yeah maybe but he has ben a top 10-15 player in the league for about 6 years now. Plushow many ruckman have 5 AA's? or win a AFLCA award? The depth maybe not be like other positions but you can't argue his eliteness. The Preliminary final is a good example of how great he can be

I would add premiership captain but that means * all when comparing individual players imo

You could argue that those above players are very similar to Fyfe & Martin too to be fair. 2001 was just insanity

No to the rest though

yeah maybe but he has ben a top 10-15 player in the league for about 6 years now. Plushow many ruckman have 5 AA's? or win a AFLCA award? The depth maybe not be like other positions but you can't argue his eliteness. The Preliminary final is a good example of how great he can be

I would add premiership captain but that means fu** all when comparing individual players imo
Gawn will end up at least the equal of Bartel, if not surpass him.

Only 2xAA for Bartel and no B&Fs.

I get he had a lot of competition for B&Fs, but he should have snagged at least one.

In 10 of his 15 seasons he played 20 H&A or more, plus 19 one year, so to only have 2 AAs is a tad disappointing.

A fantastic player, but a rung or two down from some of the best midfielders I've seen.

No to the rest though

I would add premiership captain but that means fu** all when comparing individual players imo

If you rate Gawn as a top 10-15 player for 6 years then I agree. I just don’t think he’s been that good I may be in the minority though and I don’t really have stats to back it up as it’s hard to compare him against non-ruckman.

I have him on a similar level to Sandilands/Lake as a guys who were in the top couple of their position but never threatened top 5 player in the league status.

I do concede the AFLCA award as a good argument against my view. I just think ruckmans impact is overstated.

I wouldn't have Heeney near the same conversation of those two.

Touk Miller probably the third of that trio.

I wouldn't have Heeney near the same conversation of those two.

Touk Miller probably the third of that trio.

Think people undersell how good you have to be to play the role Heeney does playing mainly as a HFF. You could make an argument for Miller being better then him now but if he is the 3rd then it’s unlikely that trio is competing with the other top trios.

B: Brad Sheppard (Pick 7), Daniel Talia (Pick 13), Dylan Grimes (Pre-season Draft Pick 2)
HB: Zach Tuohy (Rookie Pick 73), Jake Carlisle (Pick 24), Lewis Jetta (Pick 14)
C: Mitch Duncan (Pick 28), Ben Cunnington (Pick 5), Tom Scully (Pick 1)
HF: Jake Melksham (Pick 10), Sam Reid (Pick 38), Jack Gunston (Pick 29)
F: Gary Rohan (Pick 6), Levi Casboult (Rookie Pick 44), Stewart Crameri (Pick 43)
R: Max Gawn (Pick 34), Nat Fyfe (Pick 20), Dustin Martin (Pick 4)
I: Ben Stratton (Pick 46), Michael Barlow (Rookie Pick 8), Taylor Duryea (Pick 69), David Astbury (Pick 35)

Plus Andrews and Moore. Heeney is probably the 7th or 8th best player from his draft

The idea was Heeney if he capitalises on his potential. Andrew’s and Moore are reasonable options too.

I’d have DeGoey as another with Heeney like top 5 player in the competition potential. Athletic big bodied mids who can dominate at stoppages and forward of centre is the most valuable player archetype in the league imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you rate Gawn as a top 10-15 player for 6 years then I agree. I just don’t think he’s been that good I may be in the minority though and I don’t really have stats to back it up as it’s hard to compare him against non-ruckman.

I have him on a similar level to Sandilands/Lake as a guys who were in the top couple of their position but never threatened top 5 player in the league status.

I do concede the AFLCA award as a good argument against my view. I just think ruckmans impact is overstated.
One thing about Gawn that doesn't show up on the stat shets is how much he disrupts the opposition ball movement. They try to not kick the ball where he is because of his aerial dominance and his positioning is so good it screws with teams. I've heard a few analysts even mention this such as Bartel, King & Jono Brown.

But look its open to discussion as the players you mentioned are all bloody stars

Buddy, Roughy and Lewis (same club) say hi.
Cool, they can say hi all they want they aren't as good a 3 as Martin, Fyfe & Gawn.

To be fair it's probably Lewis that lets the group down when compared to the 2009 three

It's Heeney's 8th season next year and he turns 26 in May.

For a guy that had pick 2 bid on him he's been disappointing.

He was picked as a ''midfielder'' in his draft year and has never been consistently played as one.

He's once kicked over 30 goals.

Yet is ''potential'' is still being spoken about.

One thing about Gawn that doesn't show up on the stat shets is how much he disrupts the opposition ball movement. They try to not kick the ball where he is because of his aerial dominance and his positioning is so good it screws with teams. I've heard a few analysts even mention this such as Bartel, King & Jono Brown.

But look its open to discussion as the players you mentioned are all bloody stars
It's an excellent point and one that makes him one of the most valuable players in the competition.

It's little wonder that he's often referred to as the most significant figure in an upcoming game of football and the player the opposition needs to curtail.

There'd be little argument from nearly all neutrals that he's a top 5 player in the game.

It's also often overlooked how strong his running is. He regularly runs his ruck opponents into the ground. And some of his tapwork to Oliver and Viney is sublime.

Rucks are overrated unless you get a generational one. Then they're worth their weight in gold.

He was picked as a ''midfielder'' in his draft year and has never been consistently played as one.

tbf I would have him penciled in as the break out star of 2022 (And no I'm not taking the piss)

He had a really good 2021 and that final against GWS was outstanding

I don't think he will get to Petraccas level but I would give him a good chance of being in the top 20 players by years end

It's an excellent point and one that makes him one of the most valuable players in the competition.

It's little wonder that he's often referred to as the most significant figure in an upcoming game of football and the player the opposition needs to curtail.

There'd be little argument from nearly all neutrals that he's a top 5 player in the game.

It's also often overlooked how strong his running is. He regularly runs his ruck opponents into the ground. And some of his tapwork to Oliver and Viney is sublime.

Rucks are overrated unless you get a generational one. Then they're worth their weight in gold.
Seems to have gotten more mobile and agile over the last couple of years too

I think people underrate how difficult his position is to play. If he was played as a full time midfielder he’d get 5 extra hand balls and a few extra cheap kicks per game and then everyone would rate him higher but he’d be impacting games less imo.

36 goals as HFF is a strong return without even taking into account his play as a midfielder.

I think people underrate how difficult his position is to play. If he was played as a full time midfielder he’d get 5 extra hand balls and a few extra cheap kicks per game and then everyone would rate him higher but he’d be impacting games less imo.

36 goals as HFF is a strong return without even taking into account his play as a midfielder.
Petracca kicked 29 goals playing 70% midfield and had almost double the disposals (29 to 15).

Petracca kicks more goals from the midfield than when he's resting as a forward.

For me it's not surprising that Heeney is slated to play midfield in 2022. About time.

The midfield is where games of footy are determined.

tbf I would have him penciled in as the break out star of 2022 (And no I'm not taking the piss)

He had a really good 2021 and that final against GWS was outstanding

I don't think he will get to Petraccas level but I would give him a good chance of being in the top 20 players by years end
I reckon he's a wonderfully talented player.

But if he doesn't go to another level next year he's destined to be a disappointment. And that's because he is so talented.

If he doesn't do it at 26 I doubt he's doing it at 27.

I reckon he's a wonderfully talented player.

But if he doesn't go to another level next year he's destined to be a disappointment. And that's because he is so talented.

If he doesn't do it at 26 I doubt he's doing it at 27.
Yeah fair point, not sure I was disappointment though

He probably sits in the bottom part of the top 50 players in the league, that makes him no slouch. I often think some players like him get judged way too harshly. Sure on potential he could/should be better but he is still a bloody good player who on his day is a match winner

Yeah fair point, not sure I was disappointment though

He probably sits in the bottom part of the top 50 players in the league, that makes him no slouch. I often think some players like him get judged way too harshly. Sure on potential he could/should be better but he is still a bloody good player who on his day is a match winner
He should be a competition top 10 player, but I wouldn't have him top 50 on output.

He's never won a B&F and he's never made AA or been AA40.

Bayley Fritsch is only 2cm taller, kicked 59 goals as a hybrid forward, and made the AA40. I'd expect no less from a player of Heeney's ability. Fritsch is 7 months younger.

Maybe it's because I rate Heeney's ability so highly that I consider him a disappointment.

Gawn will end up at least the equal of Bartel, if not surpass him.

Only 2xAA for Bartel and no B&Fs.

I get he had a lot of competition for B&Fs, but he should have snagged at least one.

In 10 of his 15 seasons he played 20 H&A or more, plus 19 one year, so to only have 2 AAs is a tad disappointing.

A fantastic player, but a rung or two down from some of the best midfielders I've seen.
I get what you are saying, but I disagree that Gawn will surpass or even equal a triple premiership, Brownlow winning, norm smith medalist who played 305 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back