Mega Thread COVID & AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Team,
as the season is approaching and there’s still much to discuss with regards to covid, please use this thread to talk about it and the potential impacts of it on the AFL season and the league more broadly. Please note however that if you want to talk about the politics of covid, the politics thread is the place for this and political posts in this thread will be deleted, please keep this thread to how it may impact the competition

Team, because the season is over (for us) and because its clearly something everyone wants to talk about without having to do a whole extra click we are going to let politics slide in this thread and this thread only.

Forewarning
1) It is still a thread about COVID & the AFL. Keep it on topic
2) The slightest personal attack and I will thread ban you faster then you can say "Marky Mark"
3) No one is forcing you to read the thread, dont want to deal with politics, dont read it

Don't worry hon... very comfortable without the 'good luck' you have generously bestowed on me 😉

At least i am able to think and reason for myself.
50 years and going strong thanks luv!

I've recently located to WA after several years in Melbourne and... I have to say I'm embarrassed by our despot, screamingly obvious populist Premier making his snide, nasty remarks about Eddie McGuire.

Whatever you think of Eddie - I love him - no-one can possibly question his basic decency as a human being and his passion for AFL ... and let's face it, STAR power.

If it's true, as Eddie says, that lowly AFL cadets are being allowed in, no questions asked, then it's truly a low point for WA. Premier McGowan - NSW born and bred, non-AFL interested - has obviously picked up that that there's a quite a bit of electoral advantage in bashing Eddie. Like I said, I'm embarrassed by the parochial, narrow-minded, mean-spirited attitude of unfortunately too many West Australians.

From what i read there are about 25-30 AFL employees who have come across to event manage the GF. I'm sure some of them are rather lowly employees.

But it also appears that Maguire _wasn't_ one of the people "sponsored" by the AFL or Fox for the GF (if that is the right terminology).

Rather it looks as if Maguire and his producer sons were coming across under the umbrella of Channel 9 media commitments -- eg Who wants to be a millionaire -- that arent actually a part of the GF.

Perhaps if his application was only for him to be TV host for FoxFooty he might have been approved.

I've recently located to WA after several years in Melbourne and... I have to say I'm embarrassed by our despot, screamingly obvious populist Premier making his snide, nasty remarks about Eddie McGuire.

Whatever you think of Eddie - I love him - no-one can possibly question his basic decency as a human being and his passion for AFL ... and let's face it, STAR power.

If it's true, as Eddie says, that lowly AFL cadets are being allowed in, no questions asked, then it's truly a low point for WA. Premier McGowan - NSW born and bred, non-AFL interested - has obviously picked up that that there's a quite a bit of electoral advantage in bashing Eddie. Like I said, I'm embarrassed by the parochial, narrow-minded, mean-spirited attitude of unfortunately too many West Australians.
Is this a politically advertisment sponsored by the LNP and Clive?
Eddie thinks he is the entire face of football.
It is a bit like when Brendan Gale as AFLP advocate, asked if the WA medical people were up to assisiting James Hird when he had his jaw smashed at Subiaco against Fremantle.
Some people live in the dark about just how good our Doctors are here.Same now, Eddie thinks he is the only one that knows about football.He is as has been said, not needed here.
I have no idea how old Eddies kids are, but I am feeling that he was stretching the truth about what they do.

But at least, you are in a safe state right now.And we have people here that know football.We have had the game runing here in WA for as long as the Vics.
We have had a major competiton runninghere for many years.Many many of the VFL/AFL players stars have come from WA.
Because our Premier is not from WA does not mean he has no idea about Aussie rules.
That is like saying some one from NSW or QLD has no idea.
Angry... you bet I am.

Last edited:
Fox doesn't have the rights to broadcast the grand final itself, but they do have content before that Eddie is usually involved in.
Yep. They have guys like Gary Lyon in hotel quarantine right now to fulfil whatever content they feel they need to produce locally. No doubt Maguire could have easily qualified under the same rules as Lyon. However his kids probably wouldn't have qualified as Fox Footy producers. Which is probably why he went down the track he did and it all backfired on him.

Our health system can't handle the demand currently. We are seeing ERs overflowing and having to close the door multiple times across the city due to short staffing.

We can't afford to let anyone in who could bring the virus, AFL required or not.

You have been highlighting this for a while. What a cluster. I’m apolitical, but the health department seems appallingly managed/funded.

You have been highlighting this for a while. What a cluster. I’m apolitical, but the health department seems appallingly managed/funded.
It's something that has been going on for a long, long time. It's not a problem that one party has let occur.

Unfortunately it's far more politically useful to invest a large sum of money once to build a new hospital with new equipment to replace an older one, close the older one and leave the community with a really nice looking new +100 beds total, meanwhile the population has grown by greater and we are less service per capita.

Spending money on delivery of health to the people is quite literally a black hole that money can be poured into forever. The issue is that if you remove spending on health for any reason your opposition frame it as literally killing people, it could have been money to avoid the millennium bug but it's always in the budget now to spend on something else. And it's still not enough.

So I get why. But the result is that we are almost at breaking point and haven't even started handling the big test.

Feels like it's worth sharing because its hilarious and I've watched it 15 times this week. I dont agree with the messaging for what its worth but its still hilarious either way

This is the Covid & AFL thread. I see no AFL in that video. It should be posted in the Politics thread but fair enough if you can't find it, a mod made a silly decision to move it to the dead space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there’s got to be some question marks emerging about the eagles and dockers chances of playing a normal season at home and away this year? We are less than 12 weeks away from round 1, and I can’t see McGowan opening up on 5th Feb.
I think freo and WC will end up playing most of their games in the eastern states unfortunately

Why not?

He has said that he is going to open up, if anything we may have restrictions like masks but I see no reason why he won't open up if we hit our vax rates
“Mr McGowan said WA would reopen its borders on February 5 and the date was "locked in, barring an emergency."

But when pressed on what that emergency could look like, he said it was "difficult to define".“

as reported on the ABC website today, a quote from mark mcgowan.
You would want to be very naive not to think this is code for “we might not open on 5th Feb”

Why not?

He has said that he is going to open up, if anything we may have restrictions like masks but I see no reason why he won't open up if we hit our vax rates

NSW & Vic are the test cases. If things turn really pear shaped over there why would he open up?

If it turns out to be minor & manageable we can proceed with the plan with confidence. We'll have a month & half of data by then.

Last edited:
What is pear shaped? People are going to get Covid now, the vaccincations are going to protect us who are smart enough to get it

An emergency would be something unprecedented like a new strain that starts wiping out a significant amount of people, early studies on omicron suggest that its a weaker strain mixed with the common cold so it won't be that

What is pear shaped? People are going to get Covid now, the vaccincations are going to protect us who are smart enough to get it

An emergency would be something unprecedented like a new strain that starts wiping out a significant amount of people, early studies on omicron suggest that its a weaker strain mixed with the common cold so it won't be that
Or that it overwhelms the hospitals over east and we realise we have built zero extra capacity in the past 2 years to deal with it.

I can see the WA government delaying opening to buy some time to build extra capacity. The vaccine is a pillar of resolving the pandemic but it’s not the only thing we need to be doing.

Pear shaped? If hospitalisation & ICU patient numbers explode. If hospitals have to start choosing who gets treatment & lives or dies like in Italy. If people start dying in the streets like was the the case in India. I doubt McGowan is going to blindly open up if that happens.

Thankfully we seem to be getting the omicron variant and not the delta variant, numbers look promising for Omicron, faster spread of disease but less severe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back