Oppo Camp The Loony Bin - Lead Sponsor of Crazy Topkent's Alternate Adventures

Remove this Banner Ad

I found myself parting team building and head coaching expertise on a Carlton supporter in the Denver Broncos thread a month or so ago, didn't even realise id done til I read it back, funny part was he was submissive to my "Carlton is a joke of a club and here is why" diatribe .... like he was actually taking into account the things I was saying coz the dees just won a premiership.

What a life.
Take that show on the road! Love to see how you get on

Main board ? fu** that place. They don't deserve my fan of a premiership team knowledge
Nah. Take it round the club boards. There was a Richmond supporter who used to come here with helpful hints about building a culture of success. Players opening up in mindfulness sessions or whatever telling each other how much they loved them etc. He got some brilliant responses from Cannon if I recall. Good times

Hmmm, dont really agree with this.

Steele is our A grader, just cause he isnt Bont or Dusty or Trac

I think our next line is argurably better

Melbourne has Viney and Oliver then a bunch of pretty faceless role players

We have Jones, Crouch, Hanners (granted he might never play), Clark. None of them is AS good as Oliver but were not nearly as reliant. Its purely dependent on what you value but were never relying on Harmes and whoever to win us a clearance, were always gonna have a good midfielder in the set up.

They forgot to mention Petracca.
Maybe the poster in question rates Trac about as highly as their recruiters did.
They acknowledge Trac as a star, then lump Oliver on 'the next tier', lol.
Also, Viney might be a fairly one-trick pony, but he's pretty damn good at that trick. Harnes is more than handy too and gets on the scoreboard pretty regularly.

Why am I suddenly posting on the main board? I know it’s full of dickheads and none of those threads make sense anyway because of the growing numbers on my ignore list

Also, Viney might be a fairly one-trick pony, but he's pretty damn good at that trick. Harnes is more than handy too and gets on the scoreboard pretty regularly.
I have a feeling about Sparrow too actually. I really hope I’m right.

Though I understand other fans regarding him as a no name, given we haven’t seen much of him.

Why am I suddenly posting on the main board? I know it’s full of dickheads and none of those threads make sense anyway because of the growing numbers on my ignore list
I can’t believe you put me on your ignore list ):

I have a feeling about Sparrow too actually. I really hope I’m right.

Though I understand other fans regarding him as a no name, given we haven’t seen much of him.

Sparrow definitely improved my opinion of him vastly during the finals series. I was ambiguous before then, didn't exactly explode onto the scene in his first games like a Bowey or a Rivers but was only young so I hadn't written him off just wasn't that invested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North came back from a 35 point loss to win the following year 1998-1999. Not really a pumping given it was only 35 and it was 30 scoring shots a piece in 98.

Geelong lost by 80 in 1994 and came back to lose in 1995 by 61.

West Coast lost 1991 by 53 and won 1992.

1985 Hawthorn lost by 78 and won the following year.

So it can happen, but if we take 50+ to be a pumping, in the last 50 years the pumpee has made the following grand final six times (12%) and won four times (8%).

There has been 14 pumpers, with pumpers making nine following grand finals (64%) but only won three. So history says a pumper has been relatively unlikely to win the following grand final. In fact, a pumpee has won four, and a pumper three, so maybe the The Western are onto something.

Anyway, most of the big turnarounds have been from 20+ years ago, in recent times the pumper has been relatively successful and the pumpee not.

Essendon in 84 was quite the turnaround. 83 point loss in 83 to win in 84 against the same team and were also down by 23 at 3qt.

Every year it is the same story. I reckon a Carlton supporting mate of mine has claimed Carlton have the best young list in the AFL for the last 15 years now.

My Richmond supporting mate was like that, this was around 2014 to 16 and Richmond were picking up duds/bust players like Yarran or Taylor hunt, he was banging on how good these pick ups were, but I guess laws of averages worked out for him because they did end up recruiting decent players.

Found this beauty on Facebook

Screenshot_20211223-042259_Facebook.jpg

Essendon in 84 was quite the turnaround. 83 point loss in 83 to win in 84 against the same team and were also down by 23 at 3qt.

My Richmond supporting mate was like that, this was around 2014 to 16 and Richmond were picking up duds/bust players like Yarran or Taylor hunt, he was banging on how good these pick ups were, but I guess laws of averages worked out for him because they did end up recruiting decent players.

Found this beauty on Facebook

View attachment 1301143
7-100 in the last 40 minutes does suggest a soft team of downhill skiiers.

I started debate with a Bulldogs fan on here in DMs when I told him "Nearly every Dogs supporter I've known are a decent bunch of people, so it's a shame that your playing list is full of flogs".

7-100 in the last 40 minutes does suggest a soft team of downhill skiiers.

I started debate with a Bulldogs fan on here in DMs when I told him "Nearly every Dogs supporter I've known are a decent bunch of people, so it's a shame that your playing list is full of flogs".

The dogs were 'cooked' apparently, even though the whole lead up all the experts were speculating on how they are match hardened and the weeks break came at the perfect time for the Dogs.

The dogs were 'cooked' apparently, even though the whole lead up all the experts were speculating on how they are match hardened and the weeks break came at the perfect time for the Dogs.

Their coach, although not at Chris Scott levels, is overly defensive.

Their vocal BigFooty supporters are arrogant hypocrites who play the victim and look for anything other than their club to blame for things not going as they would like.

Couple that with a playing list with fair few flogs and divers - it’s quite a combination.

I feel like it was a media beatup to bet each way on the result - Dogs win and the extra games helped with preparation and having them ready to go; Dogs lose and the travel took it out of them and the break sapped their momentum.
Realistically though they bottled the end of H&A so had to take the long road to the GF. Maybe it drained them at the end but that's footy sometimes.

I feel like it was a media beatup to bet each way on the result - Dogs win and the extra games helped with preparation and having them ready to go; Dogs lose and the travel took it out of them and the break sapped their momentum.
Realistically though they bottled the end of H&A so had to take the long road to the GF. Maybe it drained them at the end but that's footy sometimes.

Yeah a lot of experts banging on about it but still didn't want to tip the Doggies. Jono Brown being the most vocal, if you were so concerned about it then tip the dogs. At the end of the day both teams had a 2 weeks break before the grand final so the cooked excuse doesn't hold up. The only thing that was cooked was the person aying the dees are soft.

Viney, Harmes, Brayshaw, Sparrow, all stood up when they needed to. They just don't have the same level of responsibility/visibility as Trac and Oliver and understandably don't get rated too highly.

Easy to forget sometimes how much of a weapon Viney is. He was absolutely massive in the first half of the prelim, leading into the third quarter only Petracca had more possessions. Since he learned to stay out of Clayton's way he's been great.

Viney, Harmes, Brayshaw, Sparrow, all stood up when they needed to. They just don't have the same level of responsibility/visibility as Trac and Oliver and understandably don't get rated too highly.

Easy to forget sometimes how much of a weapon Viney is. He was absolutely massive in the first half of the prelim, leading into the third quarter only Petracca had more possessions. Since he learned to stay out of Clayton's way he's been great.
Seems to be a lot of posts about Gawn, Oliver, Petracca who do do a lot of the heavy lifting in our midfield but not much talk about May, Lever and Petty. Our backline is our biggest strength and what teams will have to try and break down next season, which I think they will still struggle to do. Manning up Lever wasn’t effective in the finals, we found other ways.

Seems to be a lot of posts about Gawn, Oliver, Petracca who do do a lot of the heavy lifting in our midfield but not much talk about May, Lever and Petty. Our backline is our biggest strength and what teams will have to try and break down next season, which I think they will still struggle to do. Manning up Lever wasn’t effective in the finals, we found other ways.
Agree. May, Petty and Tomo are all good at intercepting so even if Lever is 'tagged' we can get someone else to play his role (albeit probably not as well).

Agree. May, Petty and Tomo are all good at intercepting so even if Lever is 'tagged' we can get someone else to play his role (albeit probably not as well).
Yep and we added Smith late in the season to match any defensive tall. Fitness and drop off of midfield pressure is probably biggest risk to the system.

I reckon we’re just too good everywhere really.

We have the two best midfielders in the game and the best ruckman in the middle.

Ben Brown better than ever, Fritsch now one of the best in the league, Big Maxy discovered he's a sharpshooter, Jackson, Pickett, Spargo, all capable of bobbing up with a couple of cheeky snags. Rest Tracca forward while Viney or Sparrow having a play in the middle and he's capable of a nice big bag all on his own. Tommy "Meat and three meat" MacDonald might turn up, he might not (who cares). Weideman could pull the finger out any minute, if the club believes in him then so do I. Best forward line clearly.

Best defence in the history of AFL ever.

Best youth (Pickett, Bowey, Jordan, Rivers, whoever else I haven't heard of yet), rising star winner too thank you very much.

Best supporters.

Best ******* everything, prove me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back