South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
The other series that kicks off is the anticipated South Africa and India series at Centurion.

India’s Test squad: Virat Kohli (Captain), Rohit Sharma (vice-captain), KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Shreyas Iyer, Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant (wk), Wriddhiman Saha (wk), R Ashwin, Jayant Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Mohd. Shami, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Shardul Thakur, Md. Siraj

South Africa’s Test squad: Dean Elgar (captain), Temba Bavuma (vice-captain), Quinton de Kock (wicket-keeper), Kagiso Rabada, Sarel Erwee, Beuran Hendricks, George Linde, Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Anrich Nortje, Keegan Petersen, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Marco Jansen, Glenton Stuurman, Prenelan Subrayen, Sisanda Magala, Ryan Rickelton, Duanne Olivier

The reports are the first day and two could be a fair amount of rain. Traditionally a result ground though.

Can they still show crowd shots from previous years? SA always have good crowd shots, almost as emtertaining as the cricket. Would be a shame if there is nothing

This is my favourite cricket to watch - prime time, always something in it for the bowlers and even when there isn’t, the wickets are fast and bouncy enough that it makes for exciting viewing.

Given some of their recent issues this is a really defining series for SA. Once upon a time them beating India at home would have been a one sided foregone conclusion. Not anymore. A win here would actually do wonders for their credibility

Plenty of quicks to pick from all of a sudden

Rabada, Nortje, Ngidi, Olivier are all world class and I've heard great things about Stuurman.

I know Nortje is out of this series which is a shame but the likely first test attack of Rabada, Olivier and Ngidi plus Maharaj bowling spin is very, very good. Shame about the batting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. He was very similar in role to Nortje himself and looked set to take over from Steyn in his first incarnation.

I was shattered when he went Kolpak, his 2nd last series was against Pakistan and he absolutely brutalised them. 23 wickets in 3 tests

I was shattered when he went Kolpak, his 2nd last series was against Pakistan and he absolutely brutalised them. 23 wickets in 3 tests

Yep I remember watching that thinking ‘well f*** he and Rabada will take 200 wickets between them in the next 2 years and just destroy everyone.’ Hasn’t quite panned out that way.

If their top 6 were reliable enough my God I’d love to see them field an attack of Rabada, Nortje, Olivier, Ngidi/Abbott (has he pledged his return yet??) and Majaraj.

PhatBoy That attack reads like a wet dream haha. I was just about to mention Abbott actually, he has returned to the fold and declared himself available, which has me wondering if he is injured seeing as he isn't named. Very strange if he's just been left out as you could mount an argument that he is the 2nd best bowler at their disposal apart from Rabada.

Even with their batting being horrifically weak, if all these guys stay fit and in form they will win a lot of games. They don't even need to find a star. They just need Bavuma to go on with his starts and a couple of blokes to consistently average high 30s/low 40s in addition to Elgar, Markram and De Kock.

PhatBoy That attack reads like a wet dream haha. I was just about to mention Abbott actually, he has returned to the fold and declared himself available, which has me wondering if he is injured seeing as he isn't named. Very strange if he's just been left out as you could mount an argument that he is the 2nd best bowler at their disposal apart from Rabada.

Even with their batting being horrifically weak, if all these guys stay fit and in form they will win a lot of games. They don't even need to find a star. They just need Bavuma to go on with his starts and a couple of blokes to consistently average high 30s/low 40s in addition to Elgar, Markram and De Kock.

Exactly. They still have the bones of a very good side but their frailties in any conditions that aren’t bouncy and fast are as much mental now as they are physical. A good South Africa is always a very watchable side so I hope they can produce their best. On paper this should be a great series and a fantastic dessert to the ashes meal on boxing day

Exactly. They still have the bones of a very good side but their frailties in any conditions that aren’t bouncy and fast are as much mental now as they are physical. A good South Africa is always a very watchable side so I hope they can produce their best. On paper this should be a great series and a fantastic dessert to the ashes meal on boxing day
Given whats gone on in the Ashes, think the India v South Africa series will be a more tighter tussle.

The anticipation of the series will be South Africas bowling v Indias batting. Indias batting in this form of the game is the best unit in the world and the depth is there. Im leaning towards the 1st test being a draw - going against history on this ground despite the weather.

Yeah, 14 hours straight of cricket on the telly is incredible.

I'm really not a South Africa fan and I know this is a cliche but test cricket really does NEED a strong South Africa.

My saffa mates assure me that the talent is still there with the bat in their domestic game and going through some of the fringe and young players names in this squad and in the SA A squad a lot of these guys batting numbers do stack up. Much better numbers than our shield next gen anyway.

I really do think they'll turn it around now that Kolpak is dead and they get over those as you call them, mental demons.

Yeah, 14 hours straight of cricket on the telly is incredible.

I'm really not a South Africa fan and I know this is a cliche but test cricket really does NEED a strong South Africa.

My saffa mates assure me that the talent is still there with the bat in their domestic game and going through some of the fringe and young players names in this squad and in the SA A squad a lot of these guys batting numbers do stack up. Much better numbers than our shield next gen anyway.

I really do think they'll turn it around now that Kolpak is dead and they get over those as you call them, mental demons.
I tend to agree.

During the era of Australian dominance it was probably only India’s ability to defeat austtalia when they hosted them, and South Africa’s perennial quality against anyone EXCEPT australia that kept a reasonable level of competitive interest in test cricket.

Their point of difference in terms of conditions also means their home cricket is by its nature very exciting to watch most of the time. They have given a lot of aesthetically pleasing cricket to the world over the last 20 years so I hope that can return

Remove this Banner Ad

Back