Mega Thread The SRP Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the alternative?
Three obvious ones. One is Belief in gods and the morality they push on us. Major obvious flaw is gods arent real (plus the morality they spout is all over the shop). so thats easily ruled out.

The second is a preference for the sanctity of non human objects like the environment or other species above humans. But given the earth isnt self aware and lacks emotion/experience and humans have far more self awareness/experience/emotion than most other animals these preferences appear to be wrong as well.

the third is a preference for only a subgroup of humans. Subgroups such as races or nations being obvious groups that many people believe are above others. But there is no sub group of people that has more self awareness/experience/emotion then others. well no significant difference in any case. we are largely all the same in this regard. Thus there is no justification for advocating a sub group of people above another.

this leads us to advocating a humanism for all system. what we should be debating is what economic/social system is the one that best advocates humanism for all and what is the best metric of human wellness/prosperity/value.

ive tried a couple of times on here to start up such debates but those threads all die straight away. Instead we still debate topics that we know are false, like religion, or relatively minor side topics like climate change which while important dont get to the bigger picture of what is human value, how do we measure/weigh it and how do we best create a society to maximise it.

Last edited:

If we're talking modern pop, Carly Rae is far better than Taylor or Adele

But modern pop is kinda average

Madonna kicks all their arses to the kerb, don’t even try.
The Queen is still valid, as is Michael, even though he was an animal pedo.
Some things just are.
Every generation seems to think the music from their 20’s is irreplaceable and the music of today is meh.

Music is Music is music - its a collection of sounds pleasing to the listeners ears.

Opinions are like scomos - everyone in australia is currently stuck with one.

I adore rave music from 91-94 play it all the time but i still love hearing fresh stuff and still look for whats new.

Every generation seems to think the music from their 20’s is irreplaceable and the music of today is meh.

Music is Music is music - its a collection of sounds pleasing to the listeners ears.

Opinions are like scomos - everyone in australia is currently stuck with one.

I adore rave music from 91-94 play it all the time but i still love hearing fresh stuff and still look for whats new.
Music in the 90’s is better than todays colour by numbers crap.

Music in the 90’s is better than todays colour by numbers crap.
Yeah well your dad was saying the same thing about 60’s 70’s music and his dad reckoned jazz was the go - and his dad reckoned jazz was blary crap and loved Viennese waltz’s - and his dad liked sicilian folk music and his dad loved Moroccan music because :

Yeah well your dad was saying the same thing about 60’s 70’s music and his dad reckoned jazz was the go - and his dad reckoned jazz was blary crap and loved Viennese waltz’s - and his dad liked sicilian folk music and his dad loved Moroccan music because :

When my folks divorced I got the record collection which means I own more Cleo Laine albums than any man should but I also have a bunch of Dave Brubeck albums with sleeve notes in Portugese because Smithy banned him in Rhodesia and they had to come in from Moz.

And he was right, but the 60’s and 90’s are the clubhouse leaders and most likely will remain that way until some other decade challenges.
The last couple have been abject failures in quality and quantity of quality in comparison.
I devour a lot of music and worked in the industry for a cupla decades, so I’m no ignorant.

And he was right, but the 60’s and 90’s are the clubhouse leaders and most likely will remain that way until some other decade challenges.
The last couple have been abject failures in quality and quantity of quality in comparison.
I devour a lot of music and worked in the industry for a cupla decades, so I’m no ignorant.
Listen to a Grateful Dead concert and you'll get the entire American music catalogue played to a varying standard over a three to four hour time frame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd give this thread a bump given the current Spotify imbroglio. Gotta love Neil.:heart:

I love Neil and Joni, but really this imbroglio just speaks to the powerlessness of individuals in our times.

Maybe they can get more major artists to sign on, and maybe that will create actual pressure. But that all seems unlikely. And so while it’s great for them to take a stand, what will anything achieve? Even if Rogan gets taken off Spotify (and probably see his audience grow in the process), the vaccine hesitancy and distrust that he and many others feel isn’t going anywhere, and the reality is that’s a much more challenging issue to solve. So as ever we focus on the small fight, in a defensive combat that helps us not notice we’re losing the much larger one.

Just listen to EVERY song on this

zep4-640x509.jpg

You need to get some ABBA in your life Seeds.
The problem is that "pop" can be interpreted to cover a wide range of artists.

When I grew up in the 70s, a lot of what you could class as pop was actually created by bands*.
*America, ELO, Abba, Bread, (some) Chicago, Wings, (some) Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Toto, Styx, Hall & Oates, etc etc.
You had solo artists like Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jacko, McCartney, etc as well.

That's not to say there wasn't plenty of rubbish around as well, there was. :)

Go back to the 60s and look at the British invasion. Beatles, Hollies, Kinks, Herman's Hermits, etc. That's not taking into account the US bands like The Monkees, Beach Boys, Turtles, CCR, etc. Much of that can be regarded as pop as well.

Of course, you've then got the power pop exponents, an extension of the pop genre. Groups like Raspberries, Cars, Badfinger, Cheap Trick, more recently Fountains of Wayne.

It's a bit rough to say the great musicians haven't been involved in pop. The problem is that the pop sound these days seems to be more "manufactured" than how it was back when I was growing up - or, at the very least, it is perceived that way.

The problem is that "pop" can be interpreted to cover a wide range of artists.

When I grew up in the 70s, a lot of what you could class as pop was actually created by bands*.
*America, ELO, Abba, Bread, (some) Chicago, Wings, (some) Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Toto, Styx, Hall & Oates, etc etc.
You had solo artists like Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jacko, McCartney, etc as well.

That's not to say there wasn't plenty of rubbish around as well, there was. :)

Go back to the 60s and look at the British invasion. Beatles, Hollies, Kinks, Herman's Hermits, etc. That's not taking into account the US bands like The Monkees, Beach Boys, Turtles, CCR, etc. Much of that can be regarded as pop as well.

Of course, you've then got the power pop exponents, an extension of the pop genre. Groups like Raspberries, Cars, Badfinger, Cheap Trick, more recently Fountains of Wayne.

It's a bit rough to say the great musicians haven't been involved in pop. The problem is that the pop sound these days seems to be more "manufactured" than how it was back when I was growing up - or, at the very least, it is perceived that way.
George Michael was 24 when he released Father Figure, I'd defy any of the modern pop moppets to come up with something like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back