Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
A lazybits article, like popcorn easily consumed and left between the seats
I want Santa to deliver a Xmas miracle where Florent, Bell, Reid, Stephens and Melican push for All Australian selection next year which in turn gives our fantastic moderators less work in 2022 deleting all the posts roasting them.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I want Santa to deliver a Xmas miracle where Florent, Bell, Reid, Stephens and Melican push for All Australian selection next year which in turn gives our fantastic moderators less work in 2022 deleting all the posts roasting them.
Don't forget Paddy McCartin !

Don't forget Paddy McCartin !
Honestly I hope this guy comes in and is the kd we are in desperate need to win a flag and shuts my ******* mouth up because to win a flag it about how good your defence and maybe some are right on here

23DEC21: Swans Year Review/The Age
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
A small reminder that if you haven't heard it - there's The Bloods podcast available on the Swans website to while away your time while you're stuck in traffic

28DEC21: Swans Youth/AF Daily podcast
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Swans youth discussed around 5:23min into the podcast

28DEC21: Swans list gap/Zero Hanger
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Some interesting names cropping up

Nothing against the names mentioned, who are all good players, but the old question arises - who do they push out?
This is where the Vic media consistently fail in having only the most shallow knowledge of our list.
Seedsman or McGluggage to replace Florent, McInerney, Campbell or Gulden? At what cost? Incremental at best.
Henry to play ressies for 2 years or push out who? Lloyd? Cunningham? Rampe?
Honestly, the quality of analysis here on BF is way better.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Nothing against the names mentioned, who are all good players, but the old question arises - who do they push out?
This is where the Vic media consistently fail in having only the most shallow knowledge of our list.
Seedsman or McGluggage to replace Florent, McInerney, Campbell or Gulden? At what cost? Incremental at best.
Henry to play ressies for 2 years or push out who? Lloyd? Cunningham? Rampe?
Honestly, the quality of analysis here on BF is way better.
Couldn't agree more. I doubt that we would be interested in any of the players mentioned in the article even if they were to come to us at no cost.
It is patently obvious to all Swans fans that if we were to be able to take any player, free of charge, it would be one of May, Lever or Weitering.

Last edited:
A lazybits article, like popcorn easily consumed and left between the seats

AFL.com had a crack at it too.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/693461

sydney.jpg

This is straight from Horse's mouth. He wants a fountain of youth in the backyard of Buddy's house and he wants the superstar forward to drink and drink and stop drinking from it precisely when he hits 22 years of age. He also wants Josh Kennedy to have a cheeky pint from the fountain, Chad Warnerto turn into Dustin Martin, and James Rowbottom to become Christian Petracca. And no more finals against Greater Western Sydney EVER again. Hmmm ... not sure the fountain works like that, Horse. – Cameron Noakes

Yet another piece that fails to even mention our key defender issue!

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Couldn't agree more. I doubt that we would be interested in any of the players mentioned in the article even if they were to come to us at no cost.
It is patently obvious to all Swans fans that if we were to be able to tale any player, free of charge, it would be one of May, Lever or Weitering.
100%. Barrass was worth a shot too. Can play tight or loose. Moore not so much. Those 4 worth every cent. Tom Stewart too, though he's more medium.
Any of those would be an upgrade.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
It is patently obvious to all Swans fans that if we were to be able to tale any player, free of charge, it would be one of May, Lever or Weitering.
You honestly believe we wouldn’t take McLuggage?

He’s a future Brownlow medallist.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

I think more the point is that there are far bigger holes in our list and that so much media either doesn't know or care.
He would be IMO an incremental improvement rather than a great leap forward.
Imagine our current team with May and Lever at the back. We'd be more competitive and more consistent.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades

My wording probably wasn't quite right. Of course we would love to have a McLuggage free of charge.
But, the question was, if you could have ONE player totally free, who would you take.
At this point in time, I feel one of the elite key backs of the competition, such as a May, Lever or Weitering would be the player we would choose.

My wording probably wasn't quite right. Of course we would love to have a McLuggage free of charge.
But, the question was, if you could have ONE player totally free, who would you take.
At this point in time, I feel one of the elite key backs of the competition, such as a May, Lever or Weitering would be the player we would choose.

Agree that key defender would be the ideal steal, but it also doesn't mean we can't improve in other areas and I think that's where the article was going with it. For example I'd take Seedsman or McCluggage over Florent/Campbell on the wing and it wouldn't even be close. I'd swap out #RuckJesus for Max Gawn in a heartbeat. As far as medium forwards go, I'd replace Hayward with Fritsch or Greene any day of the week. Any improvement is great improvement, especially for a side already comfortably in the top half a dozen teams in the comp.

Of course there would be mitigating factors, like the salary cap and the age profile of our list that would render most of those kinds of moves impractical. But the point of the article wasn't to be practical. The article was a hypothetical scenario of if you could steal one player, free of charge with no consequence to the rest of the list. In that context, the article makes a lot of sense as they've looked at players who would be improvements, even marginally, on existing players on our team in a number of roles.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Agree that key defender would be the ideal steal, but it also doesn't mean we can't improve in other areas and I think that's where the article was going with it. For example I'd take Seedsman or McCluggage over Florent/Campbell on the wing and it wouldn't even be close. I'd swap out #RuckJesus for Max Gawn in a heartbeat. As far as medium forwards go, I'd replace Hayward with Fritsch or Greene any day of the week. Any improvement is great improvement, especially for a side already comfortably in the top half a dozen teams in the comp.

Of course there would be mitigating factors, like the salary cap and the age profile of our list that would render most of those kinds of moves impractical. But the point of the article wasn't to be practical. The article was a hypothetical scenario of if you could steal one player, free of charge with no consequence to the rest of the list. In that context, the article makes a lot of sense as they've looked at players who would be improvements, even marginally, on existing players on our team in a number of roles.
No doubt any of the players mentioned in the article would make our side better.
Any of the players you mentioned would also improve our side however it is the degree of improvement we need to consider.
I still stand by my belief that one of the key defenders I mentioned would make the bigger improvement to our team than any other player.

Last edited:
29DEC21: Chad Warner lazybits/The Mongrel Punt
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Extract from a really interesting article. Did like his comments on Sicily too

CHAD WARNER EMERGES AS THE GEM OF THE SWANS’ YOUNG CREW

It’s hard not to take notice of the young crew in red and white. Campbell, Gulden, McDonald, Rowbottom, McInerney… it’s a formidable bunch. However, nestled in amongst them is a player who has a ton of x-factor about him, and when he wasn’t in the team, the Swans missed his ability to create and hit the scoreboard.

Still just 20 years old, Warner was often overlooked when people spoke of the young Swans cohort that was so prevalent in their 8-4 record over the first 12 weeks. Whilst the Swans ended up winning seven more games without him, his run from the wing and through half forward gave the team a wonderful option that often left defences guessing as to what to do.

Warner will once again enter the season as a lesser light, with players such as Gulden really capturing the imagination of footy fans in general, but those who watched Warner in 2021 know what he is capable of, and would not be at all surprised if he emerges as one the stars of the next generation of Swans.

Right now, I’d be backing him to be one of the genuine breakout players of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back