Sydney, Hobart and the sub continent

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
now we are currently 3-0 up, it appears the aussies have some depth.

where to for sydney? surely boland doesn't wait until next year boxing day against south africa.
boland probably gets another run at it in sydney, especially if hazlewood is in doubt, unless swepson is a serious consideration.

the current squad of 16 will all be in the frame for the upcoming tours on the subcontinent.

quite a hectic winter with tours to pakisatn (3) sri lanka (2) afghanistan (1) and india (4) - that's if they all go ahead.

players outside the current squad that may get a spot in the touring party could be a reserve keeper, another spinner or 2 and another batsmen or 2 (am hoping pucovski gets right and has a crack).

not sure how much work the 6 pacemen (cummins, hazlewood, starc, j.richardson, neser, boland) will get in these tests, especially if cummins, lyon and a 2nd spinner take up 3 of the 4 bowling spots with green as the 5th. or do we go with our 'best' 4 bowlers rather than a horses for courses ?

starc, boland & neser will all be 32, with hazlewood 31 and may need to be managed in any case.

What would people have as the bowling attack + allrounder for these upcoming away series?

Cummins and Lyon locks. I'd still go with green for the all-rounder. Swepson should get first run as the second spinner.

I'm not sure whether I'd go for Hazlewood or Starc for that second seamer spot.

full on the fence

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Now the Ashes are over who we taking to the Sub-Continent

Warner
Harris
Lambashagne
Smith
Marsh
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson
Hazelwood

Head
Richardson
Boland
Maxwell
Street

Warner
Harris
Lambashagne
Smith
Marsh
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson
Hazelwood

Head
Richardson
Boland
Maxwell
Street
Let’s see what the form is like for the next 2 Tests. Touchwood no injuries. Our spin depth is a concern heading to the subcontinent where we can almost certainly be guaranteed a spinning dust bowl.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide

Warner
Harris
Lambashagne
Smith
Marsh
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson
Hazelwood

Head
Richardson
Boland
Maxwell
Street
Lol. Marsh into the XI for Head? What drugs are you on.
Also Maxwell has done nothing to be worthy of being in the test squad.

Fingers crossed Pucovski can play a few shield games in the new year and perform. If he does I'd go with (assuming typical 17 man touring party):

Pucovski, Warner, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyon

Richardson, Boland, Swepson, Harris, Khawaja, Street

If full second XI needed for tour matches etc Inglis, Neser, Hunt, Renshaw, Marsh extended squad.

He didn’t last time either but was selected horses for courses, and scored a ton in India.

Should be in the squad because he plays spin well.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

Warner
Harris
Lambashagne
Smith
Marsh
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson
Hazelwood

Head
Richardson
Boland
Maxwell
Street

if thats mitch marsh at 5 - just NO.

sure he is in fine form at the moment, but he's had 32 chances in the test arena and couldn't warrant batting ahead of green.

happy to take him on the white ball component of the tour.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
If Australia needs an extra spinner for the subcontinent then play them in the subcontinent.
As far a as Green goes he's only half an all rounder ATM.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Not going to raise my expectations for the subcontinental tour even though we just won the Ashes - cautiously optimistic but if there is a batting collapse in one of the innings I'm not going to be surprised at all. I'm talking about being all out for 150 or so. Subcontinental pitches are a different beast altogether.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Lol. Marsh into the XI for Head? What drugs are you on.

Fingers crossed Pucovski can play a few shield games in the new year and perform. If he does I'd go with (assuming typical 17 man touring party):

Pucovski, Warner, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyon

Richardson, Boland, Swepson, Harris, Khawaja, Street

If full second XI needed for tour matches etc Inglis, Neser, Hunt, Renshaw, Marsh extended squad.

Squad should not be selected on T20 and 1 day cricket form.Time to rest Maxwell from 1 day/T20 Australian cricket duties and lets see how he goes in a couple of shield games for Victoria in February.I would think he might struggle because of no red ball cricket for over 2 years.If he goes overseas his fielding and spin bowling could be a bonus over there though.

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The benefit of Green being in the side and bowling well is that he can play as our 3rd quick in the subcontinent and we can also play 2 spinners (Swepson and Lyon). A leggie and an offie also offers plenty of variety.

I think if Harris fails to fire, I'd bring back Khawaja to open alongside Warner in Pakistan rather than bringing in a debutant where they will most likely struggle.

Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t go to SL or Ind though. Batsmen who play spin well will be needed.
I wouldn't be against Maxwell being selected for SL and India for that reason, but it does seem like CA see his long-format career as done. Hasn't played FC since 2018.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Shoot me down all you want but in those conditions in SL , Pakistan and India we need to play 2 - 3 Spinners and 2 quicks. The teams that have success there play that way. Playing Hazelwood, Starc, Green and Cummins in the same side in those conditions is danger.

Can't see Harris playing spin that well. Would prefer they play Khawaja opening in those conditions and I would have Green out for Maxwell. Best player of spin in the country , need to attack the spin and not just be a sitting duck waiting for the bat pad catch to happen etc.

I would give Warner a chance but wouldn't be afraid to drop him though.

Khawaja
Warner
Marnus
Smith
Green
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Swepson
Lyon
Starc/Hazelwood/Richardson

Neser
Boland
M.Marsh
Harris
Green
Handscomb

Round out my squad

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Pakistan Squad
XI
David Warner
Marcus Harris
Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Travis Head
Cameron Green
Alex Carey
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc/Mitchell Swepson
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Additional Squad Members (Concussion Subs)
Mitchell Starc/Mitch Swepson
Matt Renshaw
Mitch Marsh
Josh Inglis
Ashton Agar
Jhye Richardson

Additional Players for Tour Games etc
Bryce Street
Will Pucovski
Usman Khawaja
Nic Maddinson
Michael Neser
Scott Boland
+ extra spinner (Sangha, Zampa, Kuhnemann, Pope?? who knows who they pick)

Squad should not be selected on T20 and 1 day cricket form.Time to rest Maxwell from 1 day/T20 Australian cricket duties and lets see how he goes in a couple of shield games for Victoria in February.I would think he might struggle because of no red ball cricket for over 2 years.If he goes overseas his fielding and spin bowling could be a bonus over there though.

No Show (and Fink as well) is not good enough to get a game with the Vics. Why stuff up the most important team in the comp of the Summer - the Shield?

Langer is as thick as a brick and will argue for Mitch Marsh and Warner. Thankfully he may be sacked by then.

Shoot me down all you want but in those conditions in SL , Pakistan and India we need to play 2 - 3 Spinners and 2 quicks. The teams that have success there play that way. Playing Hazelwood, Starc, Green and Cummins in the same side in those conditions is danger.

Can't see Harris playing spin that well. Would prefer they play Khawaja opening in those conditions and I would have Green out for Maxwell. Best player of spin in the country , need to attack the spin and not just be a sitting duck waiting for the bat pad catch to happen etc.

I would give Warner a chance but wouldn't be afraid to drop him though.

Khawaja
Warner
Marnus
Smith
Green
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Swepson
Lyon
Starc/Hazelwood/Richardson

Neser
Boland
M.Marsh
Harris
Green
Handscomb

Round out my squad

Now that is a squad set up for slaughter. India has express bowling options rivalling ours. People are mistaken believing we will be served up bunsen burners.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I would like to see Sweppo given a run in Sydney, he has spent so much time around the team playing cricket will be good for him.

Rest Starc and play the two spinners or rest Lyon and give him a chance.

I agree, I'd like Swepson to play Sydney.

Depending on how Green's body is holding up I'd even rest him and play five bowlers.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Now that is a squad set up for slaughter. India has express bowling options rivalling ours. People are mistaken believing we will be served up bunsen burners.

Why is it set up to slaughter, its the same pace bowling options as we have had this summer, with additional spinners in Maxwell* and Swepson.

India consistently play 2 seam bowlers and 2 to 3 spinners in home conditions. Bumrah rarely plays at home compared to away games.

They will likely go 2 of Bumrah, Shami, Siraj and Sharma along with Ashwin, Jadeja and Patel

Which is why we should 2 Quicks and maybe Green if you want 3 seam options and Lyon, Swepson and if not Maxwell there is Head and Marnus that can roll out some spin at worst case.

Back