News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pfizer CEO tweeted this out on the 2nd of April.

We went from 100% to,

- ok you might still catch it but you won’t get sick and you can’t pass it on

- ok you’ll probably get sick and you will pass it on

- ok you won’t die

You’ve got to laugh.

Pre delta

I expect, and would love others to wear them in such settings (particularly PT) because it reduces the risk of transmission of communicable disease. As someone who gets smashed by colds every year, and there are plenty out there like me, it's a massive drain on productivity and life enjoyment.
We should have been doing this forever.

I don't live in a city but if I go to Melbourne to visit family and use the train a few times I always get something. usually it only lasts a day or two cos of (cellular immunity from using PT when I lived in Melbourne, most of those viruses circulate in the general population for years,) but a couple of times I've caught something I've never had before.

But i dunno if i'd actually bother doing it when everything is relatively normal again. #bitofahypocrite

People involved in developing this vaccine say they have expected that and it was a goal of their vaccination program. Whenever they go on media about it they claim ongoing test results show high levels of cellular immunity in the original subjects.

And there it is; NSW break through the 5 figure barrier! 11,200 cases over the past 24 hours.

Vic up to 3,700'ish too.

Fair to say that this thing is out of the bag now... & will only get worse with the NYE/NYD get-togethers.

Fingers crossed as we get ready for this bumpy ride. Stay safe fellow NMFC brethren.

Last edited:
Yay a win for Grumpy Olds

But I can’t get a third booster with AZ?

And if it’s for life why do I need a third?

It is the main reason we have never approved an mRNA vaccine for human use, we never knew what, if any, longer-term issues would arise with an mRNA vaccine.

You can still get an AZ booster if you have had 2 doses of the AZ previously. Looking at the health.gov.au site, you can book AZ booster.

I think they have mostly looked at the antibodies in people's systems to determine how strong someone's immune response is, but these are short-living cells, T-cells are long-living cells and they take a lot longer for your body to create.

The theory is that the booster will trigger your body to make more antibodies so they are present in significant quantities in your body before you are exposed to covid, the antibodies are pretty much what kills virus that are in your blood which haven't infected cells yet. T-Cells are what kill infected cells.

Generally speaking, boosters are reserved for the old who have a weak immune system, and likely haven't produced a lot of antibodies or T-Cells when vaccinated, or for those who are immunocompromised. The WHO currently doesn't recommend boosters for younger/healthy, vaccinated people.

As with anything, I would highly recommend someone speak to their doctor and get medical advice from them.

And there it is; NSW break through the 5 figure barrier! 11,200 cases over the past 24 hours.

Vic up to 3,700'ish too.

Fair to say that this thing is out of the bag now... & will only get worse with the NYE/NYD get-togethers.

Fingers crossed as we get ready for this bumpy ride. Stay safe fellow NMFC brethren.

Surely if you are not vaccinated you must have quietly shat yourself this morning looking at those figures?

It is the main reason we have never approved an mRNA vaccine for human use, we never knew what, if any, longer-term issues would arise with an mRNA vaccine.

You can still get an AZ booster if you have had 2 doses of the AZ previously. Looking at the health.gov.au site, you can book AZ booster.

I think they have mostly looked at the antibodies in people's systems to determine how strong someone's immune response is, but these are short-living cells, T-cells are long-living cells and they take a lot longer for your body to create.

The theory is that the booster will trigger your body to make more antibodies so they are present in significant quantities in your body before you are exposed to covid, the antibodies are pretty much what kills virus that are in your blood which haven't infected cells yet. T-Cells are what kill infected cells.

Generally speaking, boosters are reserved for the old who have a weak immune system, and likely haven't produced a lot of antibodies or T-Cells when vaccinated, or for those who are immunocompromised. The WHO currently doesn't recommend boosters for younger/healthy, vaccinated people.

As with anything, I would highly recommend someone speak to their doctor and get medical advice from them.

Hmmm, good advice there Tas. I am available mid Jan to Feb. See how it unfolds.

Vic up to 3,700'ish too.

Was planning on going to new years celebrations in the city tomorrow. Gonna have to rethink it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the vaccinations as much of a thing now? If the cases are Omicron, it seems to be a very different beast.

Last edited:
Hmmm, good advice there Tas. I am available mid Jan to Feb. See how it unfolds.

I had my 2nd shot in October, currently the government advice about how long after the 2nd shot you should boost is a bit... variable. They keep reducing the time period after the 2nd shot. Originally they said after 6 months, which would be April for me but they keep dropping the period down. I'll have to see what happens by the end of January, if I don't get Omicron by then I'll have to see. I am hoping this Omicron wave dies in the arse before the end of January, might be wishful thinking...

Are the vaccinations as much of a thing now? If the cases are Omicron, it seems to be a very different beast now.

I think almost everyone in hospital with a serious case are unvaccinated. You would have to be in a really bad state to get a bad outcome with covid when vaccinated.

I think it is why they are expecting a bad outcome in the USA, they are only something like 60% vaccinated.

Vic up to 3,700'ish too.

Thank goodness I got AZ

I think almost everyone in hospital with a serious case are unvaccinated. You would have to be in a really bad state to get a bad outcome with covid when vaccinated.

I think it is why they are expecting a bad outcome in the USA, they are only something like 60% vaccinated.
Does the 60% include vaccinations with floor polish, Zippo lighter fluid and Draino?

Vic up to 3,700'ish too.

On a positive note, NSW has had 47,596 new cases in the last 7 days and they have only had +323 hospitalisations, +21 ICU and +7 on Ventilators.

So only 0.679% of positive cases are resulting in hospitalisation. They are at 94.2% vaccination rate for 12+ so that is a significant factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back