2022 preseason training

Many of us thought Dawson Simpson was tracking along nicely as Gawn did in his early years. Simpson was gaining confidence in his body and by late 2013, it looked like he may have been the difference in taking us back to another grand final. I think he did his ACL and just never recovered again from that game on (late in the year).
Was it an ACL? I can't remember the specifics but I know it was late in the year and he played round 1 against the Crows the next year.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Many of us thought Dawson Simpson was tracking along nicely as Gawn did in his early years. Simpson was gaining confidence in his body and by late 2013, it looked like he may have been the difference in taking us back to another grand final. I think he did his ACL and just never recovered again from that game on (late in the year).
He was tracking along nicely.

we win the 2013 flag comfortably if he was playing in the finals.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Was it an ACL? I can't remember the specifics but I know it was late in the year and he played round 1 against the Crows the next year.
Simpson had scans on Monday which, according to Geelong coach Chris Scott, showed "significant damage" to his medical ligament and "slight damage" to his posterior cruciate ligament.

Simpson had scans on Monday which, according to Geelong coach Chris Scott, showed "significant damage" to his medical ligament and "slight damage" to his posterior cruciate ligament.
Took me a minute to figure out you're all still talking about Dawson Simpson. Had a panic for thinking Sammy was out for the year

Hyperextension of the knee.. some PCL and meniscus damage from memory but no ACL - happy to be corrected... but I was pissed as he had just really started to hit his groove...and that was it.

GO Catters

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Hyperextension of the knee.. some PCL and meniscus damage from memory but no ACL - happy to be corrected... but I was pissed as he had just really started to hit his groove...and that was it.

GO Catters
I thought it all stemmed from the dislocation of the patella impacting the ground.

I thought it all stemmed from the dislocation of the patella impacting the ground.
i seem to recall him going up in the ruck at a C bounce and coming down and seeming hyperextending it.... but as I posted,.. happy to be corrected.
I do clearly remember seeing the replay and just knowing it as curtains for him and being bummed about it

GO Catters

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
The way i remember Simpson story was he was at a party had a few drinks, got in his mini minor went over a cliff was over the limit and the ambulance took to the hospital were he lost his leg and police got him for D.U.Y.....that's the truth

i seem to recall him going up in the ruck at a C bounce and coming down and seeming hyperextending it.... but as I posted,.. happy to be corrected.
I do clearly remember seeing the replay and just knowing it as curtains for him and being bummed about it

GO Catters

Pretty much what happened

Thinking the opponent was St Kilda, at a centre bounce with a really s**t bounce of the ball and what would have surely been recalled. The other ruck pulled out, but Simpson made the decision to still go for the ball when he was really in no position to do so, and the rest is history

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Pretty much what happened

Thinking the opponent was St Kilda, at a centre bounce with a really sh*t bounce of the ball and what would have surely been recalled. The other ruck pulled out, but Simpson made the decision to still go for the ball when he was really in no position to do so, and the rest is history
58 seconds in.

I suspect Pure_Ownage watched that clip many times over..... :thumbsu:

Gosh that brings a tear to my eye. The great balding one was one of the best one on one marks ive ever seen live such an underrated footballer.

Sad for simpson too could have been the ruck we needed...not to be.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Forget just how tall he was. Taller than Gawn.
Not sure he would have ever become an elite ruck but he was definitely starting to pluck marks and dominate center square contests. Probably would have solved all our ruck woes for years on end.
He had 88 hitouts in his last two games before he broke down in the saints game. I think it's safe to say he was dominating centre square contests. And you are right his marking around the ground was looking good to. He was even tackling. He never did again after the saints game.

Back