Unique or obscure music you like

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie Basho (actually spelt Bǎsho with the breve accent) has been acclaimed by David Keenan and Piero Scaruffi as one of the greatest musicians of the century. His compilation Guitar Soli was listed on Keenan’s ‘The Best Albums Ever...Honest’ and Scaruffi gave an exception 8/10 ranking to his studio albums Venus in Cancer and Song of the Stallion, plus a 7.5/10 to Falconer’s Arm and The Grail and the Lotus. I recently received two of his albums but have not listened enough for any judgment.

Robbie Basho (actually spelt Bǎsho with the breve accent) has been acclaimed by David Keenan and Piero Scaruffi as one of the greatest musicians of the century. His compilation Guitar Soli was listed on Keenan’s ‘The Best Albums Ever...Honest’ and Scaruffi gave an exception 8/10 ranking to his studio albums Venus in Cancer and Song of the Stallion, plus a 7.5/10 to Falconer’s Arm and The Grail and the Lotus. I recently received two of his albums but have not listened enough for any judgment.
Really interesting artist! Sounds like no one else I've heard (posted a couple of his songs on Page 1 of this thread)

Garfunkel and Oates. Their work is nothing musically but very funny and rude. Both have been on Big Bang Theory.

What do you get if you mix sleazy spoken work French vocals, nifty guitar licks, a cool beat, orchestral flourishes and backing choir?
Something perhaps only Serge Gainsbourg could have come up with: the album Histoire de Melody Nelson.
He isn't exactly an unknown, but probably isn't on too many playlists.

Not particularly obscure but Mercury by American Music Club is a classic.
It’s not as well thought-of as their earlier albums like California and United Kingdom – and of their albums I have heard Engine, their second from 1987, would be my favourite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My late father in law was an accomplished Harmonica player and introduced me to his record collection of these guys.

Thats something you dont see every day! Reminds me a bit of the theme of one of my fave 60s shows >> Zeppelin have nice harp on some of their songs too

One of my favourite Australian Blues Guitarists. 3 String Cigarbox guitar. Amazing sound. She is an amazing player.

And on a more conventional guitar.

Art-rock with pianos that is really utterly unique. The band was called “Boston’s hardest-rocking chamber orchestra” but this does not do justice to them at all

Featured Michael Stipe’s sister Linda, but should be known more for it’s own individuality and intensity. Rivals the best of 4AD at that style.

Sort of a completely stripped-down, spaced-out art-rock sound, but amazingly beautiful and can keep your attention

Walk off the Earth. A very unique band, in this song the bass line is done entirely by Beatboxing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back