Mega Thread COVID & AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Team,
as the season is approaching and there’s still much to discuss with regards to covid, please use this thread to talk about it and the potential impacts of it on the AFL season and the league more broadly. Please note however that if you want to talk about the politics of covid, the politics thread is the place for this and political posts in this thread will be deleted, please keep this thread to how it may impact the competition

So the 2022 season will it be closed to fans, or do the Eastern States clubs move to WA?
Feels like it’s 2020 all over again.
No it's going to go the other way, we're heading into the next phase of the pandemic and WA is opening on Feb 5. The Federal and State Governments are about to change gears nationally, they're already discussing changing the definition of a close contact to 4+ hours. Omicron is a blessing in a way, showing signs that this less dangerous, more contagious strain is providing protection against the most dangerous Delta strain.

At this stage I would expect full crowds with proof of vaccination required to attend. The most pertinent question is: Can the health/hospital system cope? The higher the level of vaccination, the better protected those systems are.

I'd be shocked if masks aren't required for attendance too, I know Mcgowan released some early info on what he expects Feb 5 to look like but after seeing NSW things will have to be changed and masks are a smart and safe deterrent that should help allow attendance.

I am of the opinion that 2022 will be even worse than what we have experienced in previous years.
With the virus running rampant in the East, and with out doubt will happen here in WA, there is no way that the game can return to what we had pre covid.
It will only be a matter of time before clubs will be forced to close due to not having enough players free of covid. Sydney have already had ten players catch the virus. Imagine this happening during the season. The club would be required to stand down until all are cleared.
I have grave fears for the AFL and all other leagues of football.
Be prepared to have a season of no football at all. Or close to it.

I am of the opinion that 2022 will be even worse than what we have experienced in previous years.
With the virus running rampant in the East, and with out doubt will happen here in WA, there is no way that the game can return to what we had pre covid.
It will only be a matter of time before clubs will be forced to close due to not having enough players free of covid. Sydney have already had ten players catch the virus. Imagine this happening during the season. The club would be required to stand down until all are cleared.
Geez thats grim. It would be so AFL of the AFL to do to us what they did to the freo Women's team. On top and flying, nek minnut- cancellation of the comp for 2022

Have to agree on this one. They have had ongoing issues in The US and Europe using reserve players and cancelling games. Impossible to have enough reserves in AFL Footy to do the same and a bubble would have to be in one place only and would be just a matter of time before a player or official compromised it. We can only hope things change quick enough to allow a season, but I don't see it at present with the new variant just starting to get a hold nation wide.

I can't 'like' this post, but I do agree.

I can't 'like' this post, but I do agree.
I don't like it either, but I am being a realist.
To me, there is no way to flower it, make it smell like roses.
I am sure that deep in the bowels of the AFL, they are looking at this scenario. If not, then they should not be running the game.

I don't like it either, but I am being a realist.
To me, there is no way to flower it, make it smell like roses.
I am sure that deep in the bowels of the AFL, they are looking at this scenario. If not, then they should not be running the game.
The AFL will have a range of contingencies for different scenarios but ultimately the state premiers hold all the cards and the AFL and teams will have to be agile in responding to a constantly changing landscape.

The AFL will have a range of contingencies for different scenarios but ultimately the state premiers hold all the cards and the AFL and teams will have to be agile in responding to a constantly changing landscape.
If our premier is true to his word, then WA will open the door to the virus on 5th February. Basically the last state to do so.
When that happens, realistically, the states will just let be what will be.
The gates are open, then they can't stop it.
It will be entirely up to the AFL to make the rules. Football is in their hands. At least AFL football is.

If our premier is true to his word, then WA will open the door to the virus on 5th February. Basically the last state to do so.
When that happens, realistically, the states will just let be what will be.
The gates are open, then they can't stop it.
It will be entirely up to the AFL to make the rules. Football is in their hands. At least AFL football is.

I suspect the live footy crowd will be required to show 2 or 3 jabs, and may be required to mask up.. also may be spacing rules… but the footy will go on.

Players/staff who are positive won’t be allowed to be present until they are all clear.

I suspect the live footy crowd will be required to show 2 or 3 jabs, and may be required to mask up.. also may be spacing rules… but the footy will go on.

Players/staff who are positive won’t be allowed to be present until they are all clear.
Goes without saying full vaccination will be needed, that's not the problem, the problem is keeping the players virus free. Already we have seen 9 Sydney Swans players get infected at one time, it will get worse with more exposure by everyone to the virus and keeping all teams pretty much virus free is going to be a massive challenge. I hope they do because we are in for some good times with Freo, don't want to miss it.

I wish I could be as [positive as you about footy going on, but I can't be.
We were very lucky the last couple of years to survive with limited out breaks, but this will be rampant right around Australia.
But how many players !!!! Sydney, in case you haven't heard, had ten the other day.
Take ten out of say Fremantle, then ten out of Hawthorn and Crows. Three states affected. And that is only players.
Those ten players are out of action for at least three weeks. In the mean time, the same thing happens elsewhere.

I know it sounds dramatic, but that is as I see it.
I love my footy as much as some and more than most, but footy becomes second to the health and well being of players and followers.

Geez thats grim. It would be so AFL of the AFL to do to us what they did to the freo Women's team. On top and flying, nek minnut- cancellation of the comp for 2022
This will not just effect the Dockers, this is he AFL, every team and their staff.
Not everything is just about Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that hubs will work now..
There will be no state that does not have the virus.
I think we will follow sport organisations like EPL, NBA and NFL. No hubs but games postponed depending on number of player availability. The problem is many of the footy players like Freo and West Coast didn’t get their jabs until after their season ended so no third jab until February/March. The BBL and NBL are experiencing this first hand but WA have hard border closure which won’t be the case in March 2022. Rapid Antigen Testing and new anti-viral medications will speed up the COVID recovery process.

A few issues but the NBA and NFL seem to be getting through their seasons.

I wish I could be as [positive as you about footy going on, but I can't be.
We were very lucky the last couple of years to survive with limited out breaks, but this will be rampant right around Australia.
But how many players !!!! Sydney, in case you haven't heard, had ten the other day.
Take ten out of say Fremantle, then ten out of Hawthorn and Crows. Three states affected. And that is only players.
Those ten players are out of action for at least three weeks. In the mean time, the same thing happens elsewhere.

I love my footy as much as some and more than most, but footy becomes second to the health and well being of players and followers.

May I make some suggestions, “unchain the anchor from around your neck, and the burden that it bears will be removed”. ( old Chinese proverb)

You may then become the Lyon who used to Roar!

Symptoms are on par to the common cold for omicron and average infection time is much shorter. I think this is a very dramatic take.

You do realise it's like a bad cold for virtually every person that gets it in the demographic of an AFL player?
Get some perspective

You know that Covid often leaves scaring on the lungs, something every high performance athlete will want.
Lol, often
It's rare, and occurs with influenza, CMV, EBV etc
Maybe we should stop AFL footballers kissing others

Remove this Banner Ad

Back