Mega Thread COVID & AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Team,
as the season is approaching and there’s still much to discuss with regards to covid, please use this thread to talk about it and the potential impacts of it on the AFL season and the league more broadly. Please note however that if you want to talk about the politics of covid, the politics thread is the place for this and political posts in this thread will be deleted, please keep this thread to how it may impact the competition

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah delta does, but omicron barely gets into the lung tissue, multiplying in the bronchioles instead.
No. It is very rare with Delta too. Very few athletes who have got Covid have had long term effects due to their natural lung strength.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nothing about scarring in that article.
Hey. Long time since I've come across you online or the real world. I hop you are going well. I still follow the NBA closely. There have been a heap of players get Covid. All have gotten healthy way before the average person would. The combination of finacial resources to get the best treatment and high levels of physical health means the chances of getting long Covid from any of the different mutations is highly unlikely so it would be a safe bet AFL players would recover quickly too.

They will have the players train in groups of seven or eight like they did in 2020 so that when one tests positive it only takes out one small group for a week.

Or they will change the definition of a close contact to someone who is around a positive case indoors for a long period, and clubs will make sure the players are never indoors for that period of time together without a run outside.

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
They will have the players train in groups of seven or eight like they did in 2020 so that when one tests positive it only takes out one small group for a week.

Or they will change the definition of a close contact to someone who is around a positive case indoors for a long period, and clubs will make sure the players are never indoors for that period of time together without a run outside.
They have already changed the definition of close contact to 4 hours inside in a “home like environment” which would mean most football players would not be classified as close contacts if a teammate tested positive. I imagine some clubs might need to change up their timetables slightly, inserting out door sessions between indoor gym and game plan sessions to ensure players never spend 4 hours continuously together.

They have already changed the definition of close contact to 4 hours inside in a “home like environment” which would mean most football players would not be classified as close contacts if a teammate tested positive. I imagine some clubs might need to change up their timetables slightly, inserting out door sessions between indoor gym and game plan sessions to ensure players never spend 4 hours continuously together.
Bingo.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
So is that it? is the AFL never going to be the same again?

This virus is never going away

Either the AFL is never going to be the same again, or we going to have to go back to normal one day

What's it going to be?

No, it wont . But over time it will evolve and become weaker and weaker. Things will be back to normal.

There will be clear steps to progress through on the way to normal.

1 - Case numbers stop being reported
2 - Restrictions and requirements are removed
3 - Normal, where more people than usual need a few days to a week off sick

If we can have that happen while the weather is still hot it will result in less respiratory side effects.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
So is that it? is the AFL never going to be the same again?

This virus is never going away

Either the AFL is never going to be the same again, or we going to have to go back to normal one day

What's it going to be?
Once it has been around a while and there is herd immunity it will go back to normal.

A study I saw showed people who had caught covid were 19 times less likely to catch it again than someone who has been fully vaccinated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Once it has been around a while and there is herd immunity it will go back to normal.

A study I saw showed people who had caught covid were 19 times less likely to catch it again than someone who has been fully vaccinated.
This is correct, in India no one cares about covid anymore because everyone has had it, doesn’t even get reported anymore.

Major problem with the 4hr rule is lack of scientific credibility. It’s strictly a book keeping exercise to cover up government ineptitude. Much like carbon credits.
I think it's to stop requiring people who aren't sick, particularly nurses, who test negative from needing to sit out from work for a week because someone was near them who was positive.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Not true for omicron. Breakthrough infection with omicron are quiet common.

Vaccines also have less severe than someone who had Covid before.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
In a non-pandemic year I would agree. But it would be a fixturing nightmare in 2022. We'll be lucky to get a shortened season completed this year.
pretty sure 2022 is locked in and they won't be changing it because of my post. 😂

There is clearly something they like about the current format.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
So the 2022 season will it be closed to fans, or do the Eastern States clubs move to WA?
Feels like it’s 2020 all over again.

WA opens up on February 5th, it's probable that WA will be posting per capita covid numbers similar to the eastern states when the footy season starts.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I am of the opinion that 2022 will be even worse than what we have experienced in previous years.
With the virus running rampant in the East, and with out doubt will happen here in WA, there is no way that the game can return to what we had pre covid.
It will only be a matter of time before clubs will be forced to close due to not having enough players free of covid. Sydney have already had ten players catch the virus. Imagine this happening during the season. The club would be required to stand down until all are cleared.
I have grave fears for the AFL and all other leagues of football.
Be prepared to have a season of no football at all. Or close to it.

It will definitely happen during the season. But the Melbourne Stars are currently missing ten players in the BBL and they're still able to field a team to play the Scorchers today. Same will happen in the footy, some games will get postponed but they'll get the season away with crowds.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I think it's to stop requiring people who aren't sick, particularly nurses, who test negative from needing to sit out from work for a week because someone was near them who was positive.

Every business really. If a staff member at a restaurant, in a factory, at Coles, etc, etc gets Covid and everyone that was within 1.5 metres of that person has to isolate and Australia is getting 50,000 cases a day then it takes out a huge chunk of the workforce through close contacts. By relaxing the close contact rules the economy keeps moving, but means more people catch covid.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Every business really. If a staff member at a restaurant, in a factory, at Coles, etc, etc gets Covid and everyone that was within 1.5 metres of that person has to isolate and Australia is getting 50,000 cases a day then it takes out a huge chunk of the workforce through close contacts. By relaxing the close contact rules the economy keeps moving, but means more people catch covid.
With vaccination rates at good levels, surely that's the way we go now

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
You know that Covid often leaves scaring on the lungs, something every high performance athlete will want.
I’m sorry but this is scare mongering in the extreme. Thousands of elite athletes worldwide have got covid and returned to previous performance levels very quickly upon recovery with no issues whatsoever.
why on earth would Fremantle footy club players be any different?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back