Cameron Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you play ahead of him in the position (for Sri Lanka anyway)? Tim Ward has had a great start to the season but needs another shield season of performances before he's a reasonable claim to be banging down the door. Phillipe looks like starting to put together but he's in the same bucket as Ward given his FC average is 33. I'm dead against playing Ussie at his age, it just throwing development down the drain.

There's really no other options for players that look like they would be close to test level at number 6
Renshaw could potentially come in a 6, particularly in the sub continent, as he can contribute some (albeit average) spin. He's looked good since his shift down the order. Age still on his side too.

However I think they absolutely should back Green in as #6 for the foreseeable future. Guy could be anything. But I agree with some posters above that expectations should be tempered. He may not become Kallis or Sobers, but he could be a Stokes, Al Hassan level player, which would be phenomenal for us.

Who would you play ahead of him in the position (for Sri Lanka anyway)? Tim Ward has had a great start to the season but needs another shield season of performances before he's a reasonable claim to be banging down the door. Phillipe looks like starting to put together but he's in the same bucket as Ward given his FC average is 33. I'm dead against playing Ussie at his age, it just throwing development down the drain.

There's really no other options for players that look like they would be close to test level at number 6

I don't think it's just about someone being heaps better (the cupboard is pretty bare) but also not wanting to damage a great talent.

Everyone likes to bring up Steve Waugh as someone who we stuck with through thick and thin, but he was also one of the toughest players out there mentally and you can just as easily damage a player permanently by destroying their confidence at this level and have him go backwards.

If they think Green is the type who just needs one good knock to turn the corner then no worries, if there's the chance of him going backwards with the bat though I see no harm in him perhaps even trying to go the County route in the winter, it was the making of Labuschagne and he'd be in massive demand after these performances with the ball.

Last edited:

I don't think it's just about someone being heaps better them but also not wanting to damage a great talent.

Everyone likes to bring up Steve Waugh as someone who we stuck with through thick and thin, but he was also one of the toughest players out there mentally and you can just as easily damage a player permanently by destroying their confidence at this level and have him go backwards.

If they think Green is the type who just needs one good knock to turn the corner then no worries, if there's the chance of him going backwards with the bat though I see no harm in him perhaps even trying to go the County route in the winter, it was the making of Labuschagne and he'd be in massive demand after these performances with the ball.
I think the next two winter periods whenever we not playing Test would be great for Green to go play County cricket circuit and round out his batting talent on wickets that seam a lot and bounce lower than here. But whether the schedule allows it is another thing.

But yeah, my only concern is over bowling and do some damage. Thankfully they not over bowled him but it is very tempting for many to want to bring him on more often which would be a mistake. Just too much potential to be unlocked and focus on making most of his batting talent to have him distracted trying to bowl too much. I confident the coaches and leadership group have him put much more time into the batting.

Last edited:
22yo, 7-test player.

Able to reach delivery speeds of 145km/h, and to extract more bounce from a pitch than almost any bowler due to his height and skill.

Not only is he no liability in the field; he is actually a skillful and versatile addition to any fielding XI.

The batting is a work in progress but not without promise/returns on investment to date.

It is worth investing every available resource in Green; the pay-off could be huge.

Last edited:
with 10 tests coming up on the sub continent during our winter (that's if they all go ahead), he gives us options to be our 3rd quick, or even our 2nd quick if we choose to play 3 spinners.

definitely worth persevering with.

i'm backing him for his batting to come good.

with 10 tests coming up on the sub continent during our winter (that's if they all go ahead), he gives us options to be our 3rd quick, or even our 2nd quick if we choose to play 3 spinners.

definitely worth persevering with.

i'm backing him for his batting to come good.

Playing spin on pitches that really turn is obviously going to be an issue for him at this stage but we’ll worth the investment. See how quickly he can adapt on the run.

Playing spin on pitches that really turn is obviously going to be an issue for him at this stage but we’ll worth the investment. See how quickly he can adapt on the run.
I don't think spin is his issue at all. It's clearly pace bowling aimed at his off stump getting his bat and pad into awkward positions.
Once he's conquered this problem he will easily push his average up over 40.

I think we have a generational player on our hands here. Best in the world type.
Someone who averages mid 40s with the bat, mid 20s with the ball and an elite fielder.
Will change our fortunes from being a good side, to possibly best in the world of we get our other positions right.

I back him to be better then Stokes. Stokes is neither a great bowler or a great batsmen, I back Green to be great at one or the other, I think once he finds his feet and backs himself he'll be more of a batsmen.

I back him to be better then Stokes. Stokes is neither a great bowler or a great batsmen, I back Green to be great at one or the other, I think once he finds his feet and backs himself he'll be more of a batsmen.
He might not be a great batsman or bowler but he's a great all rounder.

Has also played some of the greatest innings of all time.

I don't think spin is his issue at all. It's clearly pace bowling aimed at his off stump getting his bat and pad into awkward positions.

I think we have a generational player on our hands here. Best in the world type.
Someone who averages mid 40s with the bat, mid 20s with the ball and an elite fielder.
Will change our fortunes from being a good side, to possibly best in the world of we get our other positions right.

Shield average of 53 is promising

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets just wait and see, i think people forget stokes like green was just a kid when he made his debut but he took a 6 for in his fourth test and a ton in his second test that was in a series where his side was decimated, green has shown real promise but stokes as a young rookie was already a legit star.

Yeah.. no pressure..

Green will be better.
Early days, but his batting has got a long way to go for a genuine number 6. I know he’s young and a big unit, but his footwork is very sluggish. Susceptible to LBW, and doesn’t turn the strike over. Can’t fault his contribution with the ball and in the field. Would benefit greatly from some intensive one on one batting coaching from someone like a Ricky Ponting.

Last edited:
Yet has a test bowling average of 27

I think his a good player but against a good batting line up in India he bowled 264 balls and he didn't look like getting a wicket, against England his done well but Englands a mess so it'll be interesting how he goes in his next few series.

I think his a good player but against a good batting line up in India he bowled 264 balls and he didn't look like getting a wicket, against England his done well but Englands a mess so it'll be interesting how he goes in his next few series.
Amongst Englands mess he’s managed to get Root and Stokes out a couple of times each. Helps when the captain throws you the ball before it’s 60 overs old and you get more than 2 overs at a time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back