News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

And if they could get the qualification criteria right (whether it be father or mother) that would be good as its illogical that millie qualifies as F/D based on the games her dad played but on those same games her brother cant be FS.
That applies even more so for M/S and M/D. I'm not sure what the games threshold is / will be, but it will be a lot harder for current aflw players to rack up careers of 100 games when the seasons are so short - not even taking into account career interruptions.

And if they could get the qualification criteria right (whether it be father or mother) that would be good as its illogical that millie qualifies as F/D based on the games her dad played but on those same games her brother cant be FS.

Until the comps become relative in games and players available, the qualification will always be different. ..... It's like suspensions its hard to compare the comps as being equal. ..... but I agree that the 100 game mark should be more flexible. The concept of 100 games would have excluded many champions like Colman from play at Ess. Clubs having to match bids , in theory , means they pay rate for them.

Of course my cynical nature says, everyone is only concerned with the players aligned to clubs whether they be genetic or location when the potential player is perceived of high quality. Few would care about Brown being able to be taken by Geelong if he had slipped thru to the Rookie draft for example.

I like your optimism because if that happens every other one of our recruits are guns, as they should have a year or 2 up their sleeves on him.
O'Connor debuted in his first season, after just the one pre-season. He was given two games that year, five the next year, and became a regular pick thereafter. All going well, there is a fair chance the same occurs with Mullin.

Few would care about Brown being able to be taken by Geelong if he had slipped thru to the Rookie draft for example.
I think few would have cared if we had matched him when Richmond bid for him. And even if we did have the right to match for him, it is by no means certain that we would have - Conway fills a much bigger hole for us than Brown would have. As long the pick isn't a single digit pick, I don't think anybody is too fussed.

I think few would have cared if we had matched him when Richmond bid for him. And even if we did have the right to match for him, it is by no means certain that we would have - Conway fills a much bigger hole for us than Brown would have. As long the pick isn't a single digit pick, I don't think anybody is too fussed.

I suspect we would have approached the draft differently than we did but Brown as a fatherson would have difficult to not take.Our draft would have looked different for sure.

I suspect we would have approached the draft differently than we did but Brown as a fatherson would have difficult to not take.Our draft would have looked different for sure.

As far as I'm concerned, its Brown vs Holmes. Brown will be a good player I'm sure, but Maxxy has already shown he could be something very special if given enough game time and development

As far as I'm concerned, its Brown vs Holmes. Brown will be a good player I'm sure, but Maxxy has already shown he could be something very special if given enough game time and development

We can never have enough good players.. and id have liked to have them both. Holmes may offer more in an area of need atm, Brown will be worth watching although it will be hard in the Y&B. If guys like him and Henry settle I could see them being difficult to move.

Back on the OP.... where do we see Mullin playing. I can not visualise it atm. The falt out runn that I see in the high lights is not the way we have played for a long time

Game plan is only reflective of the personnel on hand, something a lot of fans cannot grasp.

Id grasp that ... it can be chicken and egg. Just cause you have a fast car doesnt mean you drive it fast...but if you only have a slow car you do not have the choice..

but all we have seen so far is cutcat mode... so I look forward to seeing him play , like with a few new player.

We can never have enough good players.. and id have liked to have them both. Holmes may offer more in an area of need atm, Brown will be worth watching although it will be hard in the Y&B. If guys like him and Henry settle I could see them being difficult to move.

Back on the OP.... where do we see Mullin playing. I can not visualise it atm. The falt out runn that I see in the high lights is not the way we have played for a long time

Re: Mullin, I would argue that he'll fit in quite well.

While not similar to our overall game style from say 2019/2020, there was a marked shift last year to pull the trigger quick on the rebound - if our defence was nice and set.

When I think of our back 6, I would actually argue that we have 3 players that play very similar to Mullin's intercept/run and gun gamestyle - Stewart, Henry and Bews. Stewart in particular, takes the game on at every opportunity, and is quick too.

I do think its a bit of a misnomer, the whole 'stagnant ball movement' discussion, as it has to do with our weak defensive midfield/forward line, more than anything. When our forward line and midfield are putting on the pressure they should, we slingshot at will and push really high up the ground to rebound and attack - The WC game last year is a great example of this.

As older players retire, and newer ones come through, so will our gamestyle evolve as well. I think even if it's not as ballistic as Mullin has shown to be in his highlights, he'll still be a huge asset given his intercept ability, strength in the contest and skills in tight.

Honestly, I can't wait to see how it all turns out - as I reckon he's gonna be an absolute ripper :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Mullin, I would argue that he'll fit in quite well.

While not similar to our overall game style from say 2019/2020, there was a marked shift last year to pull the trigger quick on the rebound - if our defence was nice and set.

When I think of our back 6, I would actually argue that we have 3 players that play very similar to Mullin's intercept/run and gun gamestyle - Stewart, Henry and Bews. Stewart in particular, takes the game on at every opportunity, and is quick too.

I do think its a bit of a misnomer, the whole 'stagnant ball movement' discussion, as it has to do with our weak defensive midfield/forward line, more than anything. When our forward line and midfield are putting on the pressure they should, we slingshot at will and push really high up the ground to rebound and attack - The WC game last year is a great example of this.

As older players retire, and newer ones come through, so will our gamestyle evolve as well. I think even if it's not as ballistic as Mullin has shown to be in his highlights, he'll still be a huge asset given his intercept ability, strength in the contest and skills in tight.

Honestly, I can't wait to see how it all turns out - as I reckon he's gonna be an absolute ripper :)
One thing that stood out to me from his highlights was his keenness to go through opposition players rather than around them.

O'Connor debuted in his first season, after just the one pre-season. He was given two games that year, five the next year, and became a regular pick thereafter. All going well, there is a fair chance the same occurs with Mullin.
I think he's physically more ready than O'Connor. If he adapts to the game, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays more than 5 games this year.

I really hope Oisin is just having a Christmas break and will return in the New Year. When I was his age, I could not think of anything better than the opportunity to get paid well to play sport overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope Oisin is just having a Christmas break and will return in the New Year. When I was his age, I could not think of anything better than the opportunity to get paid well to play sport overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The last addy mention of him said he was expected to arrive in the first week of january.

That’s what I’m hearing as well.

Check this out from 57:50 - gives The latest status on this

Maybe, but listening in there the last guy at about 1:01:30 seems to think that if he was staying Mayo would be announcing it immediately. So at the very least he hasn't made a decision to stay. We'll find out in a week I guess

Maybe, but listening in there the last guy at about 1:01:30 seems to think that if he was staying Mayo would be announcing it immediately. So at the very least he hasn't made a decision to stay. We'll find out in a week I guess
We'll know the truth in a week or two.
But all these hints and rumours coming out of Mayo remind me of the hints, rumours and "inside info" circulated by Geelong supporters, backers and officials in 2010 to the effect that GAJ was staying - all designed to heavy/morally blackmail him into doing just that.

We'll know the truth in a week or two.
But all these hints and rumours coming out of Mayo remind me of the hints, rumours and "inside info" circulated by Geelong supporters, backers and officials in 2010 to the effect that GAJ was staying - all designed to heavy/morally blackmail him into doing just that.
Are we the baddies this time?

:grinv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back