Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Not every game is v Melbourne
Ah yes, not the unbeatable Dees and their never before seen midfield that’s just going to slaughter every midfield they come up against. Fair Dinkum, you’d think they were about to become the greatest side of all time the way people and the media are hyping them.
A good side? Yep, but far from unbeatable. We will see how good they, and their much vaunted depth, is when they become the hunted and they actually have to deal with a few of their better players actually missing a game.
This isn’t an attack on you MP, I’m just tiring of the overhyping of them. Can actually see them as a one off premier, could be wrong but hoping I’m right😬. Pretty confident we can handle them, we had a year from hell last season, won’t happen again🙏

Looking forward to seeing how he goes. I'm expecting him to start dominating VFL this year, and build his size. I do wonder if they will use the 3 weeks on one week off approach to build his size whilst giving him more game experience. Fast track his development
They did this for CCJ ‘s benefit too, and instead later turned into a whinge about not getting enough senior game opportunities.
I think this will turn out okay though

Played a number of games and finals.

U too
Just because he filled in while our stars were injured doesn’t make him a key part to our premiership dynasty.

I do remember his finals game though. His goalless, one kick display in a seven goal loss. That was it for him in the side that year in our march to the flag.

Interestingly it was the only finals game we lost since Tom Lynch joined the club. And Mabior took his spot for this one.

Wouldn’t like him lining up vs Cripps, Cerra, Walsh either. Or Fyfe, Brayshaw, Serong.

Every teams starting midfield combo would slaughter one with Balta in it.

He’s just not a mid.
I could see him performing a Luke Jackson role, just better

I could see him performing a Luke Jackson role, just better
Possibly

I just struggle to see him playing that 2nd tall forward / 2nd ruck role when Riewoldt, Lynch, Nankervis and Soldo are all in the side playing either ruck or forward.

Too tall adding Balta to this mix as well.

100%

This is why I find it very unrealistic and ambitious when people start throwing in Gibcus as a KPF/KPB option for 2022. It's just not going to happen. If he makes his debut that's a win for his development.
He’ll make more than his debut. The top end kids make an impact in their first year which he is one. Providing he’s preseason goes to plan he’s a massive chance for round one.

He’ll make more than his debut. The top end kids make an impact in their first year which he is one. Providing he’s preseason goes to plan he’s a massive chance for round one.
I disagree, I'd be surprised if he plays this year at all.
Tall players take time to develop and you dont want his playing on a gorilla at his age or he'll get banged up quickly.

Tall players take time to develop and you dont want his playing on a gorilla at his age or he'll get banged up quickly.
Totally agree...do not see the need/rush to bring him into the side so early...

Agree, Similar to Balta who didn’t play at all in his draft year and 13 games in his 2nd season
Give him some time to grow and develop

Disagree but who knows.

If everyone is fit, the skinny first year Gibcus is not in our best 3 KPDs.

Gibcus can be afforded to play a year in the VFL whilst building his body strength and game to adapt

We have Balta , Tarrant , Grimes , Broad and Miller as well as Biggy who are ll physically developed to take on the bigger fowards

Happy to see him given a couple of games s a foward though if required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If miller can get a game. Mrj. Chol can be a key part of of a dynasty etc. Etc.

It's not that far fetched Gibcus can play and contribute. Imo
Your probably right he could play and maybe even contribute. But in what role. not playing KPP not atm anyway.

Atm if Gibcus is a bona fide defender then he is imo in competition for the third tall defender role atm while his body develops. He has two in front of him who he is not going to get a game in front of in Broad and Grimes.

I think it crazy that people think a light bodied first year kid is going to hold down a key defensive spot for us or key forward spot for us.
The role he performs very well at is intercept marking the only other option there is play him in Vlastuins role and agaIn that won't happen.
Highly talented or not i hope the club give the kid time to grow physically and develop at what he does best.

If we don't play say Balta fwd then just maybe they will be tempted to play him as the third tall fwd.

My problem with that is i think he is a natural defender and needs the play in front of him, he has at no stage that i can see played well as a fwd in fact what i can gather he has struggled.

Let him start in the magoos and if he demands a game then by all means play him but hes a 196cm kid and he will take time regardless of where we drafted him.

100%

This is why I find it very unrealistic and ambitious when people start throwing in Gibcus as a KPF/KPB option for 2022. It's just not going to happen. If he makes his debut that's a win for his development.

playing seniors might be the only development he gets

Depending on how well the team is going I’d expect him to develop along a similar timeline to Balta.
He should play a handful of games year 1&2 then cement a spot in year 3.
If we turn to trash he may as well play full time in the 1s

Balta was a physical beast by year 2, Gibcus won't be. Gibcus might get a game if Grimes, Broad or Vlastuin goes down, especially if two are not there, but no hurry. No real harm giving him a game forward either, but any game he gets will be a bonus and just for the experience as he won't be anywhere near best 22-25.

Just because he filled in while our stars were injured doesn’t make him a key part to our premiership dynasty.

I do remember his finals game though. His goalless, one kick display in a seven goal loss. That was it for him in the side that year in our march to the flag.

Interestingly it was the only finals game we lost since Tom Lynch joined the club. And Mabior took his spot for this one.
You mean his 7 disposal game in a 15 point loss. (Jack had 6, Baker 8, Grimes 5, KMac 7 btw. Edwards 13, Dusty 18. Just sayin.)

They did this for CCJ ‘s benefit too, and instead later turned into a whinge about not getting enough senior game opportunities.
I think this will turn out okay though

Exactly, same as CCJ. But I reckon he doesn't have 2 A graders in front of him. Gibcus is, I think, a higher grade player.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get games as a utility - playing mostly as a 3rd tall forward, then rotating in small spurts down back when Balta does similar moves forward. Wouldn't even be surprised to see him float around on a wing or even a HFF. We could do with much better marking around the ground

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get games as a utility - playing mostly as a 3rd tall forward, then rotating in small spurts down back when Balta does similar moves forward. Wouldn't even be surprised to see him float around on a wing or even a HFF. We could do with much better marking around the ground
And the bolded part is exactly why we need Balta playing higher up the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back