Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
We've proven multiple times throughout this mess we aren't Europe.

I wouldn't be looking overseas for any guidance on lockdowns.
Not looking overseas for guidance, I'm looking at the massive surges happening in our own back yard and the potential fixturing impacts should things continue, especially given the impact to the A league and NBL to date.

Not looking overseas for guidance, I'm looking at the massive surges happening in our own back yard and the potential fixturing impacts should things continue, especially given the impact to the A league and NBL to date.
As I said by then I think we'll be living with it more than we are now.

Edit: NSW changing isolation rules to fall in line with Vics for the cricket is an example.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Seeing what's happening overseas, in the NBL and A league, the scares in the Ashes and some of the AFLW positives, this season is shaping as potentially the most disrupted out of the Covid era. The AFL must be shitting themselves a little

I think there's going to be a discussion similar to that happening in the EPL. List flexibility will play it's part. The EPL managers are calling for extra substitutions to enable matches to go ahead seemingly unhindered. If the AFL are smart, they would look at something similar.

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
If each States cases continue to rise i would see it hard when injuries are added for some teams to field a full 22 players. As there's a chance omni takes over and 50K+ cases a day Australia wide.

To me it seems much more likely that an asymptomatic player will be given the green light to play by mid season rather than working through a clusterf*ck of delayed/rescheduled games as i think this time round even bubbles will not be sufficient to keep the cove out. Especially if like they said a couple of days ago that covid may have been passed between teams mid game in the NBL (haven't kept up with that recently)

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
What people don't realise is that even if your chance of death or severe ICU illness is lessened by a vaccine, getting sick is still a bitch. And in physically demanding industries such as supply chains or sport, it is enough to cause staff distruptions and a lower efficiency output. Group that with a higher chance of getting it because of an increase in cases and virality and you have the potential of a broken economy.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
If each States cases continue to rise i would see it hard when injuries are added for some teams to field a full 22 players. As there's a chance omni takes over and 50K+ cases a day Australia wide.

To me it seems much more likely that an asymptomatic player will be given the green light to play by mid season rather than working through a clusterf*ck of delayed/rescheduled games as i think this time round even bubbles will not be sufficient to keep the cove out. Especially if like they said a couple of days ago that covid may have been passed between teams mid game in the NBL (haven't kept up with that recently)

It may affect other players/staff more severely, so I don't know why they would risk further transmission.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s also spoiling competitiveness of a lot of games. Even if you’re living with it, players that test positive can’t play as we’re seeing in US and Europe. There’s been games with teams missing a fair few players and getting smashed. Will be a bigger issue here with percentage impacted. Lot of fans are going to be pissed off with players missing
Just another variable for teams to deal with. Teams with the best depth and culture will have an edge.
Maybe we should should schedule a joint training session with the VFL side every now and then to build a little rapport with the emergency depth

Just another variable for teams to deal with. Teams with the best depth and culture will have an edge.
Maybe we should should schedule a joint training session with the VFL side every now and then to build a little rapport with the emergency depth
Not that simple though. You may have to play kids who aren’t ready, some players may have to play through minor pain and cause more serious issues. Luck becomes a greater factor regardless of culture, for example one team may suffer worse when playing against lower teams than say another team vying for same finals spot etc.

Yes fair enough…carry on but just going to be a frustrating season

Think we all have to learn to live with it. It sucks, but at the end of the day it's here to stay, just like colds/flus. Considering this latest variant is meant to be a lot milder than previous ones (and a lot more contagious) maybe it's good timing for the clubs to deal with it now considering it's outside the footy season.

Think we all have to learn to live with it. It sucks, but at the end of the day it's here to stay, just like colds/flus. Considering this latest variant is meant to be a lot milder than previous ones (and a lot more contagious) maybe it's good timing for the clubs to deal with it now considering it's outside the footy season.
i don’t want to live with it. i’ve had the flu once and it ******* sucks.

Looks like we won’t have a choice… specifics are for another thread.

Will be interesting to see how the AFL deals with it. They’ve generally had pretty harsh policies trying to make sure none of the players get it and keeping everyone in bubbles, disallowing full group training across the league to keep it fair for states with covid outbreaks even for teams that weren’t in those states.

Now though the whole bubble idea might not work so well. Virus is everywhere. I have to wonder whether the players union would even agree to that indefinitely anyway.

I guess if training/games are less than 4 hours then there shouldn’t be close contacts between players, but what happens with players who live in share houses with other players? I guess they all get rubbed out?

I reckon people saying it will be more turbulent than ever this year are probably right. Won’t be dodging border closures as much but players will be missing games left and right due to positive tests or being a close contact.

i don’t want to live with it. i’ve had the flu once and it ******* sucks.

I got the flu bad in 2006 when my son was born, was sick as a dog in bed for a week. He got it as well and had to be rushed to hospital. It was a really bad variant that year and I wouldn't have wished that on anyone, so I understand what you're saying.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Go hard in the off-season. Contract omni. Develop herd immunity (Hird immunity?). Build up natural immunity. Competitive edge for 2022, done.

Go hard in the off-season. Contract omni. Develop herd immunity (Hird immunity?). Build up natural immunity. Competitive edge for 2022, done.
Solid plan but doesn’t account for long covid… chronic fatigue in a professional sporting environment probably not the competitive edge we were looking for. Could work out for 2023 though, everyone recovered and pick 1 in our pocket.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
The big issue this year will be the hard line from McGowan. There just might not be any matches in Perth at all.

Seems like I might be proven right. McGowan has gone even harder now. West Coast and Fremantle will have to hub out east somewhere (Tasmania has been mentioned) and as for matches...who bloody knows.

Round 11: Port, AO, 4:40 Sunday
Round 13: Carlton, MCG, 7:50 Friday
Round 14: St. Kilda, Docklands, 7:50 Friday
Round 15: West Coast, Perth, 8:40 Friday

Carlton I kinda get. St. Kilda fair enough, they don't get prime time too often. But how can two current bottom 4 sides be playing on a Friday Night in the way they're doing the fixture?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Carlton I kinda get. St. Kilda fair enough, they don't get prime time too often. But how can two current bottom 4 sides be playing on a Friday Night in the way they're doing the fixture?

It's a double up plus a Thursday night game prior.

Thurs:
Melbourne v Brisbane @ MCG

Fri:
Bulldogs v Hawthorn @ Marvel 7pm
Eagles v Essendon @ Optus 8:40pm

Fremantle are playing away so it'll attend / rate well in WA.

Back