The Ashes, Third Test Australia v England @ The MCG 26-30 December

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The ever faithful ‘rugby union in’ wiki pages for both France and NZ. NZ has 130k plus change, France has about 380k.
Sorry I thought "they" referred to Australia not France.

Last edited:

Rev up those Sydney weather complaints lads.

Haven't seen a cloud in a week, perfect blue skies, 28-30c every day. But this morning the big dark clouds are rolling in...

View attachment 1305363
Washed out Test days since 1877 to 2017:
Perth 0
Hobart 2
Adelaide 2
MCG 6 (not including 1971 washout => ODI)
Brisbane 8
Sydney 24

The Sydney Test at New Year will become a victim of the changing climate imo, to get a decent game without weather issues will necessitate a move to before Christmas. You can imagine in the future Brisbane and Sydney being the first two ports of call for touring teams.

Couldn't find a nice summary of historical weather data for Sydney in Nov/Dec/Jan - but yeah if there is evidence that late Nov or early Dec is a safer bet they should consider moving it. Alot seems to be made of the "New Year" aspect but it means * all to most people here. It's starting on the 5th this year but most people are back at work on the 4th today (myself included) meaning it's only day 4 and 5 that alot of people can get to without taking leave.

I guess some people take the extra week off, and kids are on holidays still, but it's nothing like the Boxing Day test vibe where everyone is off and ready for some cricket.

I'd much prefer a Sydney test starting on a Thursday in late Nov or early Dec than early Jan if there is less chance of it being spoiled. I seriously reckon we may not see play the first 3 days. It won't be bucketing, but will be consistent and enough to keep the covers on.

Washed out Test days since 1877 to 2017:
Perth 0
Hobart 2
Adelaide 2
MCG 6 (not including 1971 washout => ODI)
Brisbane 8
Sydney 24

The problem with Sydney is once the rain sets in, it rains for days. Conversely, we get weeks and weeks of perfect blue skies, especially in Winter.

If Hameed opens the batting again, I'm going to do violent things to my television!

At least Meatloaf gave a yelp...in fairness it was before he had a partial heart attack...
England should have Bairstow and Butler open their account - it'll immediately place pressure on Australia's opening bowlers, as they both display attacking mindsets when playing naturally, with the added bonus of me not having to watch "Meatloaf" phone it in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on Akram just over Ambrose but damn they were both guns. Would almost have Akram over Steyn.

Ambrose was better than akram & that's not just because I grew up watching him terrorizing Australia. All the stats & series totals show this. Was world no.1 for years

Ambrose was better than akram & that's not just because I grew up watching him terrorizing Australia. All the stats & series totals show this. Was world no.1 for years
Mine was more a personal preference thing. Loved Curtly, even rocked the double sweatbands once or twice as a young fella. But Akram was poetry in motion, he could tear through a side without warning, ball would seem on a string.

Mine was more a personal preference thing. Loved Curtly, even rocked the double sweatbands once or twice as a young fella. But Akram was poetry in motion, he could tear through a side without warning, ball would seem on a string.

Yep, that is fair enough as Wasim was also a dynamic player. Looked like the next great all rounder in 1989 & was the world's best player when Pakistan won the 1992 world cup.

I had a special fear for curtly as he seemed to roll Australia for cheap many times, which resulted in a victory for the west indies.

I see journos are already pushing that Jhye is still not 100% fit which I assume is what they have been fed. You must be seething a bit.

Richo is as stiff as a board to miss out.

However, dropping Boland would be the equivalent of dropping a bloke who has just kicked 10 on debut. An all time performance from Scotty B delivers him a much deserved 2nd test.

Definitely, Kohli is someone who gives the impression he's a twat on the field but when he actually speaks off it he's very gracious, intelligent and clearly cares about the game. Ponting is probably in the same mould.

The game is definitely in some trouble at the moment. There's always been that feeling that more players will start to opt for White Ball only contracts and with the Covid bubbles still persisting we're likely going to see more guys like Quinton DK retiring early and players like Shakib picking and choosing.
Would imagine that’s how the rest of the world has felt about a lot of our players over the journey. Think Kolhi’s biggest contribution was to take it up to the aussies on field and act like he’s the best player and will take no *s. That’s the spirit that has been missing from Indian teams in the past. Far to differential. Not the case anymore.

Would imagine that’s how the rest of the world has felt about a lot of our players over the journey. Think Kolhi’s biggest contribution was to take it up to the aussies on field and act like he’s the best player and will take no fu**s. That’s the spirit that has been missing from Indian teams in the past. Far to differential. Not the case anymore.

I think even we feel like that though, Matthew Hayden and Warne aren't the most popular personalities on here that's for sure. I felt Ponting is the best example because even now other countries still whinge about his on field behaviour but he's all class off the field,.

Kohli has definitely been unique with the energy he brings, but with the end looking near for him and the potential replacement in KL Rahul lacking that personality I wonder if it'll continue. Siraj and Bumrah perhaps to keep that going?

Would imagine that’s how the rest of the world has felt about a lot of our players over the journey. Think Kolhi’s biggest contribution was to take it up to the aussies on field and act like he’s the best player and will take no fu**s. That’s the spirit that has been missing from Indian teams in the past. Far to differential. Not the case anymore.

This is the part that has bemused me over the years. People so critical of the way Australians adapt to professional sport, but the moment someone else does the same thing, we praise them for taking it up to the Australians. It also bemuses me how some people feel it's only Australians guilty of poor behaviour.

For the record, I think Kohli's fantastic because I don't mind aggression in sport, and the odd fiery exchange, especially at the elite level.

This is the part that has bemused me over the years. People so critical of the way Australians adapt to professional sport, but the moment someone else does the same thing, we praise them for taking it up to the Australians. It also bemuses me how some people feel it's only Australians guilty of poor behaviour.

For the record, I think Kohli's fantastic because I don't mind aggression in sport, and the odd fiery exchange, especially at the elite level.

I don’t think anyone has ever really had a problem with Australians who show backbone, aren’t afraid to stick up for themselves, and have a dig.

I also don’t think anyone really needs to actually use ‘abuse’ as a tactic. But it was used for a time

Back