Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't heard a word about Sonsie. Have I missed something?

Recovering for his injury and started doing more work - so not much to say until now. Think there was a mention that he looked OK in the midfield in a match sim. But didn't play a lot of time in there. Hopefully will be close to a decent fitness come the season and can rip up the VFL.

The thing with Sonsie & Banks is they are fresh kids that have been drafted with injuries and will be 3-4 months behind where they would if they were not injured. So lets just assume they will take 5-6 weeks into the season to play VFL and maybe get a game towards the end of the season or not at all in 2022 - Big Deal

We have drafted them to become 15 year players and the first half of season 1 is not important, Get them fit and ready and ease them into the Richmond game style

The thing with Sonsie & Banks is they are fresh kids that have been drafted with injuries and will be 3-4 months behind where they would if they were not injured. So lets just assume they will take 5-6 weeks into the season to play VFL and maybe get a game towards the end of the season or not at all in 2022 - Big Deal

We have drafted them to become 15 year players and the first half of season 1 is not important, Get them fit and ready and ease them into the Richmond game style

It is worth bearing in mind a certain J. Graham spent most of his first season injured before beating Rory Sloane like a rented mule in the 2017 Grand Final. 😁

The main question is, what will his nickname be? Traditionally Australians chuck a "y" at the end of the suername.

Ergo Sonsie-y ?
Sonsie? Surely its..
sexy happy days GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank god SHocking is no longer General Manager of Waaaah Richmond The Big Meanies Let's See How They Like Netball, or we'd be investigated for draft tampering for getting this lifelong Tiger fan to fake an injury and tell clubs he only wanted to play for us so he slid to pick 28.

Steal of the draft. Calling it.

There was a passage of play today where he got it, and I thought “ohh he’s in a bit of strife here” evaded the tackler and kicked a left foot (non dominant foot) laser to a leading forward. I’m super keen on this guy. Class act

Does he drop out of the contest too early at times? Want to see a bit more of this bloke in some real matches before forming any strong view of him. He is definitely good with ball in hand in space but is he sometimes cheating his way into space, that would be my query.

I know a couple of boys that played with him growing up and his weakness is definitely in the contest. Class act outside but hasn’t got physical stuff yet.
Had 3 centre bounce clearances yesterday and another 2 around the ground stoppage clearances aswell from what I saw.
Did not look out of place in the physical stuff one bit.

Will need to keep adding muscle but he is a natural footy player and his speed combined with an elite kick on both sides of his body provides him with that type of ‘time’ that you only see in certain footballers. Eg: cotch, pendles.

One thing that we didn’t see yesterday was his ability to be an attacking mid. His team was absolutely smashed in transition and he definitely has the ability to move forward and finish nice goals on the run. I think personally he would have been even more impressive if he were on the black team yesterday. Was a great lesson for the kid to see what you need to go against the best AFL standard mids.

Wonder if Hobbs has shown as much class as Sonsie initially ? Heard Hobbs did ok in their intra club but Sonsie basically had no preseason. Of course Hobbs is purely inside whereas Sonsie seems to have more strings to his bow, one of the best kicks of the draft, dual sided as he's already shown, can play inside and outside and is a goal kicking mid.

Going to be a facinating watch and compare as they emerge.

Thank god SHocking is no longer General Manager of Waaaah Richmond The Big Meanies Let's See How They Like Netball, or we'd be investigated for draft tampering for getting this lifelong Tiger fan to fake an injury and tell clubs he only wanted to play for us so he slid to pick 28.

Steal of the draft. Calling it.
I was calling chuffed calling out sonsie name

Remove this Banner Ad

Back