Mega Thread 2022/23 Off-Season Sports Thread

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
United States starting to look like they could be a force in soccer in coming years.

Obviously they have a much bigger population than ours to draw from but it's a shame to compare the recent success of American development programs to ours.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
United States starting to look like they could be a force in soccer in coming years.

Obviously they have a much bigger population than ours to draw from but it's a shame to compare the recent success of American development programs to ours.

They are still miles off the best European and South American sides. The worlds best players will always play in Europe where the big money is. Nice to see someone getting signed from MLS instead of it being a retirement home for over the hill big names in Europe to finish up in.
A-league just can’t compete financially with other football leagues around the world

They are still miles off the best European and South American sides. The worlds best players will always play in Europe where the big money is. Nice to see someone getting signed from MLS instead of it being a retirement home for over the hill big names in Europe to finish up in.
A-league just can’t compete financially with other football leagues around the world

Plenty of players are signed from the MLS but like players signed from the A-League, it isn't particularly news worthy.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Josh Giddey is a freak talent. Just recorded the youngest ever triple double in nba history. Love the way he plays the game, pass first player but not afraid to shoot.
I love that he played NBL instead of college ball before being drafted. The physicality and general quality of the local competition has really helped his development. Having said that he is clearly an incredible talent. His vision and passing are absolute top shelf, he can make plays that not many other players could see.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Ashton Turner. Out of form or overrated? Or both? Or neither?
I think his shoulder injury has ruined his career. He was on fire prior to his injury.
Hard to assess on just T20. Let's wait until the shield starts again to see his impact.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ashton Turner. Out of form or overrated? Or both? Or neither?

I dont think he is over rated maybe out of form plus what another poster said probably that injury hasnt helped his career.

That one day innings he played at Mohali back in 2019 to win Australia the match was one of the best finishes we have seen since Mike Hussey and Bevan days.

So he has the ability.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont think he is over rated maybe out of form plus what another poster said probably that injury hasnt helped his career.

That one day innings he played at Mohali back in 2019 to win Australia the match was one of the best finishes we have seen since Mike Hussey and Bevan days.

So he has the ability.
That knock won us the series after we recovered from 2-0 down didn’t it?

PurpleReign

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
Now I know Perthnow is just a crappy tabloid website but Catherine Healy is stretching the definition of what constitutes a sports story here. She seems to be only interested in the improper or salacious side of human behaviour.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/t...op-most-read-sport-stories-for-2021-c-5092190

TOP 10 SPORT STORIES IN 2021

1. US swim fans accuse Aussie women’s medley of cheating at Tokyo Olympics
I guess some would call this a sports story.

2. V8 legend Craig Lowndes reveals shame over three-year affair
Not a sports story!

3. World’s sexiest athlete reveals next move after failing to earn Tokyo start
Hundreds of athletes aren’t good enough to make it to the Olympics so why focus on this person?

4. Canada’s sweet reaction losing to Australia in Tokyo’s 4x100m relay
Sports story.

5. Bulldogs star Bailey Smith gives post-GF party pep talk
Not a sports story!

6. Identity of Ben Cousins’ Brownlow Medal date is revealed
Not a sports story!

7. What Australian athletes earn for bringing home Tokyo medal
Sports story.

8. Happy Ben Cousins spotted at local Perth footy match
Not a sports story!

9. WAG Julia Edwards reveals what it’s like dating Docker Bailey Banfield
Not a sports story!

10. Nat Fyfe’s new haircut starts internet buzz
Not a sports story!

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jack Darling wants the phone number of Novak's doctor, pronto

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Now I know Perthnow is just a crappy tabloid website but Catherine Healy is stretching the definition of what constitutes a sports story here. She seems to be only interested in the improper or salacious side of human behaviour.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/t...op-most-read-sport-stories-for-2021-c-5092190

TOP 10 SPORT STORIES IN 2021

1. US swim fans accuse Aussie women’s medley of cheating at Tokyo Olympics
I guess some would call this a sports story.

2. V8 legend Craig Lowndes reveals shame over three-year affair
Not a sports story!

3. World’s sexiest athlete reveals next move after failing to earn Tokyo start
Hundreds of athletes aren’t good enough to make it to the Olympics so why focus on this person?

4. Canada’s sweet reaction losing to Australia in Tokyo’s 4x100m relay
Sports story.

5. Bulldogs star Bailey Smith gives post-GF party pep talk
Not a sports story!

6. Identity of Ben Cousins’ Brownlow Medal date is revealed
Not a sports story!

7. What Australian athletes earn for bringing home Tokyo medal
Sports story.

8. Happy Ben Cousins spotted at local Perth footy match
Not a sports story!

9. WAG Julia Edwards reveals what it’s like dating Docker Bailey Banfield
Not a sports story!

10. Nat Fyfe’s new haircut starts internet buzz
Not a sports story!

Not gunna lie, I clicked on your link to see who the 'world's sexiest athlete' was.

I'm blaming you for being an enabler putting the link right there for me though.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder who gave him the exemption. I thought Dan Andrews said when all this sh*t started that even if the feds said he could come there would be no way he was getting into Victoria if he was unvaxed.

Dan's on an overseas holiday. He'll no doubt fly back in, act like he didn't know and then blame the feds. Modus operandi.

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't need the vaccine if you're rich.

Wonder how Joe Bloggs application for an exemption would have been treated under the current Covid conditions ?.

In this situation, Novak has the option of full disclosure or ridicule (cynicism) from the crowds. People are human and there is only one way to simmer a backlash .....

But more detail. Not a lot of grounds for exemption.

Rich (BB code):
Those exemptions include:

An acute major medical condition such as undergoing a major surgery
Any serious adverse event attributed to a previous dose of a COVID-19 vaccine
Evidence of a PCR-confirmed COVID-19 infection in the previous six months
If the person is a risk to themselves or others during the vaccination process due to a developmental or mental health disorder

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Scorchers

Attachments

• DB2FF5B5-ED6E-4D86-9465-443D0153A94B.jpeg
    DB2FF5B5-ED6E-4D86-9465-443D0153A94B.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 38
Back