Travel When'll we travel overseas again / how to get out of Australia?

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Hopefully it doesnt all turn to sh*t with this new strain.
Depends on how it breaks down, the next few weeks tell us a lot. The info at the moment ranges from "this thing isn't affected by vaccines" to "this thing is covered by the current covid vaccine" and "its mild symptoms like a cold" and everything in between.

I would say if they can see the current vaccines continue to work, then these border measures will be gone by end of Jan or end of Feb.

Baggins15

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Travelling to Canada in late July for 4 weeks and thinking about following it up with a few months in South America. Do we reckon lengthy overseas trips might finally be feasible by late next year, or best to wait it out? Don't plan on booking flights etc. until about May in any case, but interested to gauge thoughts/opinions on this.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Travelling to Canada in late July for 4 weeks and thinking about following it up with a few months in South America. Do we reckon lengthy overseas trips might finally be feasible by late next year, or best to wait it out? Don't plan on booking flights etc. until about May in any case, but interested to gauge thoughts/opinions on this.
I’m still hopeful my March holiday goes through unscathed.

HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
Kippax
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart
You been to Paris mate? Going there the first time in March. Not keen on it myself but bride wants to see it.

So; I’m doing Villers - Brettoneux & Omaha Beach (seperate day tours) that’s locked in.

My question is based around accommodation. Got a Hotel tentatively booked in the 1st Arr; as there are parts of Paris that are really crap, yeah? Is the 1st a good spot? All the Google searching I’ve done seems to say so. But I’d rather ask someone that’s been there
Normandy is worth a couple of days. I stayed in Bayeaux which is very handy to the D-Day areas. Unlike Australia, where we have a single war museum/memorial, there multiple museums scattered throughout the Normandy area. Omaha Beach and the American cemetry are pretty stunning. Also in Normandy is the Bayeaux Tapestry and Mont St Michel. Mont St Michel is, I believe, the biggest tourist attraction in France outside of Paris. Rouen, Honfleur and Le Havre are also quite stunning. English is well spoken in Normandy as many Brits take long weekends there.

I stayed in the 1st when I was in Paris near Chatalet metro station. Very convenient to everything. The tower was about a pleasant 45 minute walk along the river. Metro is very easy to use and safe.

Main security issue are pickpockets and scammers. Never witnessed any violence there.

Most overrated attraction was the Pompidou - a modern art museum. Just not my thing but went because everybody said I should.

Most underrated attraction would have been Palais Garnier - The Paris opera house.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Normandy is worth a couple of days. I stayed in Bayeaux which is very handy to the D-Day areas. Unlike Australia, where we have a single war museum/memorial, there multiple museums scattered throughout the Normandy area. Omaha Beach and the American cemetry are pretty stunning. Also in Normandy is the Bayeaux Tapestry and Mont St Michel. Mont St Michel is, I believe, the biggest tourist attraction in France outside of Paris. Rouen, Honfleur and Le Havre are also quite stunning. English is well spoken in Normandy as many Brits take long weekends there.

I stayed in the 1st when I was in Paris near Chatalet metro station. Very convenient to everything. The tower was about a pleasant 45 minute walk along the river. Metro is very easy to use and safe.

Main security issue are pickpockets and scammers. Never witnessed any violence there.

Most overrated attraction was the Pompidou - a modern art museum. Just not my thing but went because everybody said I should.

Most underrated attraction would have been Palais Garnier - The Paris opera house.
Best touristy things in Paris are obviously the Notre Dame, and the Louvre with the Gummy Venis and Moaning Lisa.

Best romantic things, there are some amazing parks in the area head to Ladurée, get some macarons and go have lunch.
Paris catacombs are cool especially with a good guide, probably not great for a romantic outing.

You have Seine River cruises too.

As for common scams, they have the stupid bracelet scam, the "rose for your girlfriend" scam, busy area pickpockets and the charity/survey kids who are often near the Eiffel Tower.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Thanks for all that mate. Appreciate the effort and time it took to write that for me.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Best touristy things in Paris are obviously the Notre Dame, and the Louvre with the Gummy Venis and Moaning Lisa.

Best romantic things, there are some amazing parks in the area head to Ladurée, get some macarons and go have lunch.
Paris catacombs are cool especially with a good guide, probably not great for a romantic outing.

As for common scams, they have the stupid bracelet scam, the "rose for your girlfriend" scam, busy area pickpockets and the charity/survey kids who are often near the Eiffel Tower.
Thank you for that 👍

I loved the catacombs.

I got a rock from it. :thumbsupv1:

As for the annoying af gypsies. They gave up on me very quickly- I'd stare straight ahead, would not even give them eye contact. A few of the ppl i were travelling with, weren't so lucky + got sucked in tho.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
i had a guy try to pick pocket me near rome station, i was onto him and as he did it i grabbed his bag (which no doubt was full of loot) - he stopped and wanted the bag back and i told him in my best italian where to go
but then i dropped it as i didnt want to get knifed

I skipped the Turkey/eastern europe part of my Contiki in 2012 (stayed in Santorini by myself instead for 8 days. Am so glad I made that choice)- and I recall the warnings they were giving all the girls on the bus prior. Like to not go anywhere without a guy, etc and that the Turks were all handsy and stuff.

I'm a bit sad I missed out on that, I was like "yeah just let them ******* try".
I'm very protective of myself.

i had a guy try to pick pocket me near rome station, i was onto him and as he did it i grabbed his bag (which no doubt was full of loot) - he stopped and wanted the bag back and i told him in my best italian where to go
Lol my mate while she was in Mexico had her bag "rifled" thru while she was on a public bus (she swears anyway). Too bad it literally just had a towel and sunscreen in it :tearsofjoy:

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I skipped the Turkey/eastern europe part of my Contiki in 2012 (stayed in Santorini by myself instead for 8 days. Am so glad I made that choice)- and I recall the warnings they were giving all the girls on the bus prior. Like to not go anywhere without a guy, etc and that the Turks were all handsy and stuff.

I'm a bit sad I missed out on that, I was like "yeah just let them ******* try".
I'm very protective of myself.
Check out the new Reno’s at Golden Fleece in South Melb if you liked Santorini.

36d469a82d93e49d46a8ca4dfde8b720.jpg

:hearteyes:
Ah yes, I'm there.

Back