News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll know the truth in a week or two.
But all these hints and rumours coming out of Mayo remind me of the hints, rumours and "inside info" circulated by Geelong supporters, backers and officials in 2010 to the effect that GAJ was staying - all designed to heavy/morally blackmail him into doing just that.
Yeah was just thinking the same

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah was just thinking the same

If he doesn’t think he’s good enough, then fair enough, he would probably be wasting his time coming here and not making too much money anyway.

However, if he actually does think he can make it - and he stays in Ireland, and misses the opportunity to make some serious money professionally, he will always have the “what if?” question in his mind.

If he doesn’t think he’s good enough, then fair enough, he would probably be wasting his time coming here and not making too much money anyway.

However, if he actually does think he can make it - and he stays in Ireland, and misses the opportunity to make some serious money professionally, he will always have the “what if?” question in his mind.
There's that many singing his praises too that it sounds like the door would be open to a return. There's worse options than going and playing in a professional league for two years, failing, and returning in professional athlete level physical condition at age what, 24?

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

He could always return home if it doesn't work out. Still young with plenty of football left in him, whether that be here or in Ireland, even in say 2 years from now. He'd still be making money over here albeit on a rookie wage, but the potential to make substantially more if he can successfully convert is there, as has been proven numerous times by other Gaelic athletes before including a prospective teammate in Tuohy.

Everyone is wired differently, though, and if he's not 100% committed to coming, then I don't think he should. It's been months of this back-and-forth will he-won't he? with him. If he were to make it to the club, I wouldn't want the doubts to linger.

Last edited:

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
He should google AFL WAGs Brownlow and then make his decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
images (1).jpeg

.. advantage Mayo.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
There's that many singing his praises too that it sounds like the door would be open to a return. There's worse options than going and playing in a professional league for two years, failing, and returning in professional athlete level physical condition at age what, 24?

He’d only end up better wouldn’t he? Two years in a professional club, lifting weights and eating food all tailored and paid for. Physio, recovery, plus being paid. And then getting an understanding of how a full time athlete studies and lives. Then go back and be an even better Gaelic football player.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just see if he rocks up I guess
It’s one of the strangest cases I’ve come across in a while. My sources at home (very close to Oisin) were saying he wasn’t going in November. Then Geelong officially announced it and I assumed he’d changed his mind and signed and that was it.
Then John Fogarty (a very legitimate and respected GAA journo) published an article in late November again saying there was doubt over the move. Since then Oisin won young players of the year for the second season in a row and was very vague and circumspect about the move to Australia when it was mentioned during his live interview on Irish tv at the all stars in December.
The guy on the Mayo news podcast would be working the phones every day of the week for a scoop on this one. If he is expressing doubt then there must at the very least be some indecision on Oisins part about the move. Whatever happens, I agree with the poster who said he needs to completely forget about Mayo if he wants to make it in the AFL. Mayo play a pre season game on Friday against Galway so I’m sure it will be brought up there by the media.

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Didn’t he do an recorded interview talking about joining the cats. Or did i imagine that?

He did a quick video of about 10-15 seconds saying he was excited to be joining, and then there were some highlights of his games. Looks like the video is still on the Cats website:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
The article reports he signed a contract so it would be a major backflip if he doesnt come. Nothing to see here. I just love the Irish podcast basically said pay him anything under the table to keep him here. They would build their team around him. Sounds very promising.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The article reports he signed a contract so it would be a major backflip if he doesnt come. Nothing to see here. I just love the Irish podcast basically said pay him anything under the table to keep him here. They would build their team around him. Sounds very promising.

That sounds very NCAA. Are there examples of that over there and what are the consequences of getting caught doing it.

Perhaps they should look at their comp. If its professional in all but player payments maybe its time for change. When did Wimbledon change ..1960's

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
That sounds very NCAA. Are there examples of that over there and what are the consequences of getting caught doing it.

Perhaps they should look at their comp. If its professional in all but player payments maybe its time for change. When did Wimbledon change ..1960's
It’s an amateur sport so you can pay whatever you like under the table to anyone really.
lots of examples in GAA of it

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Mayo players still think he’s Australia bound as of today. His partner has also been all over socials talking about covid and iso so I assume he’s been effected by that as well.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s an amateur sport so you can pay whatever you like under the table to anyone really.
lots of examples in GAA of it

Thats perverse If players are paid its not amateur. Under the table means it's a rort or a tactical advantage. It sounds like a basketball movie I watched years ago..when the player got paid to turn on the automatic sprinklers. Is attendance at the game is free entry as well. If under the table payments are rife then they are in denial.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
The article reports he signed a contract so it would be a major backflip if he doesnt come.

Only thing a contract does is stop another club from signing him if he does want to come. At list lodgement the club might have known he was still tossing up on whether to actually come or not. The only thing it costs us if he doesn't come is a cat b rookie spot and if the club had no one else suitable on the radar for that then it is irrelevant really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back