What are the question marks over your team in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Dixon

Even though the lid is off and I feel optimistic for the foreseeable future so that we can turn this into a dynasty, I do still have some questions marks for the Mighty Dees.

Can we have a clean run of injuries once again in 2022? Selwyn Griffiths is taking over the reigns from Burgo, so lets hope he can continue the magic and fingers crossed that once again we have a relatively clean bill of health for the season and in the case that players go down similar to how Tomlinson, Hunt and co went down that we'll have gems like Bowey to fill the cracks.

Our Defence and Midfield have proven in 2021 to be effectively the best in the entire competition. But can we fine tune the forward line? Weideman in particular is looking to hopefully overtake Tom McDonald for his position in the team. We do finally seem to have some depth in that region and I was happy that our first pick was used on a key position forward who's body actually seems ready to go. My guess is that young Van Rooyen will start pushing Weideman in particular to perform. No rush with the young WA prospect, but if he puts in the hard yards in the VFL and one of the big boys go down, then why not give him a crack.

We had an average winning margin of 34 points. Another area for improvement would be to obviously not drop games to teams like the Crows and Pies. Next year I'd happily have a semi convincing win over the better teams, and to flat track bully the lower teams. This effectively goes hand in hand with the improvement of our forward line/structures (which to be fair appeared to gel a lot better in the latter part of the season).

The final question marks would be can we hold on to out of contract players and sign them on long term. Important players to note coming out of contract in 2022 include: Brayshaw, Spargo, Hunt, Pickett, Jackson & Sparrow. Although provided we keep playing the way we have been, I imagine most of them will sign on and fairly early in season 2022.

Bloody pumped for the season to come. Bring on #Deesbacktoback Should actually be able to attend all games provided the Govts don't utensil up and put us into any more lockdowns. We just need to learn to live with it at this point.

Charlie Dixon
Is this like that TV show where the host says something and you have to answer as a question? Jeopardy I think it's called..?

I love that show! I'll answer:
"Name a Port Adelaide player whose finals performances closely resemble Gary Rohan"

What do I win? :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

Is this like that TV show where the host says something and you have to answer as a question? Jeopardy I think it's called..?

"Name a Port Adelaide player whose finals performances closely resemble Gary Rohan"

I think he has Tourette’s

Cool, hasnt missed a game for a knee injury in 2 years

Who is your best mid?

A delisted Gold Coast Mid?

I never said we had the best midfielder, I’m not sure why we’re discussing solely 1 player. Pretty clear we have a better midfield now and for the future.

Cunnington
Simpkin
Anderson
Greenwood
LDU
Thomas
Stephenson
Powell
Phillips
Lazarro
Horne- Francis
Goater

There are 8 first round picks on that list. We have invested heavily in our midfield for 6-7 years, which Hawthorn clearly haven’t.

Greenwood will fill a role in a talented developing midfield.

Give me your list of mids and don’t list flankers who have spent bugger all time in the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Give me your list of mids and don’t list flankers who have spent bugger all time in the midfield.
You just listed Stephenson, Thomas, Lazzaro and Phillips, plus two 18yr olds that haven't even played a game.

Last edited:
You just listed Stephenson, Thomas and Phillips.

Stephenson played a handful of games in the midfield. Go watch his games where he had 33, 38 & 24 disposals.

Thomas played the second half of the year predominately as a midfielder.

Phillips minutes built up a bit as the year went on. He was also played purely as an inside mid at VFL level where he spent half of the year. He is as pure mid as they come.

Stephenson played a handful of games in the midfield. Go watch his games where he had 33, 38 & 24 disposals.

Thomas played the second half of the year predominately as a midfielder.

Phillips minutes built up a bit as the year went on. He was also played purely as inside mid at VFL level.

Kinda funny that you wrote "don’t list flankers who have spent bugger all time in the midfield", then add Stephenson and Phillips who spent bugger all time in the midfield, and two 18yr olds who've yet to play a game at all.

Here's Hawthorn's that have actually played midfield at AFL level.

Tom Mitchell
Jaeger O’Meara
James Worpel
Chad Wingard
Liam Shiels
Harry Morrison
Conor Nash
Daniel Howe
Tom Phillips
Jai Newcombe
Connor Downie
Finn Maginness

And here's those yet to debut.

Josh Ward
Seamus Mitchell
Sam Butler
Connor MacDonald
Ned Long

Kinda funny that you wrote "don’t list flankers who have spent bugger all time in the midfield", then add Stephenson and Phillips who spent bugger all time in the midfield, and two 18yr olds who've yet to play a game at all.

Here's Hawthorn's that have actually played midfield at AFL level.

Tom Mitchell
Jaeger O’Meara
James Worpel
Chad Wingard
Liam Shiels
Harry Morrison
Conor Nash
Daniel Howe
Tom Phillips
Jai Newcombe
Connor Downie
Finn Maginness

And here's those yet to debut.

Josh Ward
Seamus Mitchell
Sam Butler
Connor MacDonald
Ned Long

You seriously have a dig at my list when you put up Maginnees (3 games) and Downie (2 games)? Will Phillips has played more midfield time than both of them put together. But then to criticise Thomas and Stephenson for being on my list is just laughable.

Kinda strange how you criticise me for listing ‘two 18 year olds that have never played’ and you proceed to make a list of five players who have never played.

Your list of players that have ‘played midfield’ are a combination of one A grade player, a few mature B grade players, a good prospect in Worpel (even though he went backwards in 2021), a few that no one has ever heard of, a couple that have barely played and Howe who is a liability.

You seriously have a dig at my list when you put up Maginnees (3 games) and Downie (2 games)? Will Phillips has played more midfield time than both of them put together. But then to criticise Thomas and Stephenson for being on my list is just laughable.

Kinda strange how you criticise me for listing ‘two 18 year olds that have never played’ and you proceed to make a list of five players who have never played.

Your list of players that have ‘played midfield’ are a combination of one A grade player, a few mature B grade players, a good prospect in Worpel (even though he went backwards in 2021), a few that no one has ever heard of, a couple that have barely played and Howe who is a liability.

So it was ok for you to put players in your list that have barely played midfield, despite your own ruling, but when I did it that wasn’t cool? 😂😂

You really are a nutjob.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it was ok for you to put players in your list that have barely played midfield, despite your own ruling, but when I did it that wasn’t cool?

You really are a nutjob.

I think you might have stretched it a bit further there lad and even still your list is woeful.

I think you might have stretched it a bit further there lad and even still your list is woeful.

You’re number 3 mid is Jed Anderson.

I wouldn’t go throwing stones, when your side is holding up the ladder and the clear cut favourite to win the 2022 wooden spoon.

In all fairness, in the history of our wonderful game The Grohan is peerless as a Finals' spud. In fact most of us love the humble spud and I do that veggie a disservice.

Perhaps The Grohan's performances are better likened to the blight that destroyed potato crops in Ireland in the mid 19thC.

I wouldn’t go throwing stones, when your side is holding up the ladder and the clear cut favourite to win the 2022 wooden spoon.

I didn’t list them in order from best to worst champ.

I honestly can’t believe we are even having this discussion. Hawthorn have invested literally nothing in the draft until this year for such a long time. All you have invested in is overpaying for players like O’meara and Wingard. No one in their right mind would take Hawthorns midfield over ours.

I didn’t list them in order from best to worst champ.

I honestly can’t believe we are even having this discussion. Hawthorn have invested literally nothing in the draft until this year for such a long time. All you have invested in is overpaying for players like O’meara and Wingard. No one in their right mind would take Hawthorns midfield over ours.

You wanted to do what we did

Its just no-one wanted to come champ

And no-one said our midfield was better

You said we have no midfielders, which is wrong

And to say we invested nothing until this year is just plain wrong, we have taken 8 first and second round picks in the last 3 years

You wanted to do what we did

Its just no-one wanted to come champ

And no-one said our midfield was better

You said we have no midfielders, which is wrong

And to say we invested nothing until this year is just plain wrong, we have taken 8 first and second round picks in the last 3 years
Invested nothing is wrong . And your right with your stats. :thumbsu: But the investment hasn't been huge. For the old buggers like me who remember the last Hawthorn rebuild all those years ago.

Last 3 years 2019 -21

8 first /second rounders
2 top 10's - 6, 7

3 years 2004 - 2006

13 first and second rounders
5 top 10's - 2,3,5,6,7

Invested nothing is wrong . And your right with your stats. :thumbsu: But the investment hasn't been huge. For the old buggers like me who remember the last Hawthorn rebuild all those years ago.

Last 3 years 2019 -21

8 first /second rounders
2 top 10's - 6, 7

3 years 2004 - 2006

13 first and second rounders
5 top 10's - 2,3,5,6,7
Figures are skewed because of 3 priority picks in a draft with less teams (hence, more early picks)

Figures are skewed because of 3 priority picks in a draft with less teams (hence, more early picks)

Correct. And that's not counting 3 years earlier in 2001 where the Hawks began their rebuild with trading for picks and had 5 inside 36 including No 1.
Now that is investing in the draft. :thumbsu:

North will improve big time in 2022.

Hawks......not as much or will regress.

New coach, new more attacking style and less experienced than 2021.

Ruck set up unproven and key backs young with Frost and McEvoy battling on bravely.

One or two injuries to key players and it won't look pretty.

Covid outs to key players and the kids coming in will struggle as all kids do.

Hawks just don't have the depth like others do IMO.

Hawks fans can LOL all they want but that's the reality. Can't understand why they are beating their chests so loudly and expecting a big improvement in 2022. Being humble isn't in the DNA.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back