Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Premier: Brisbane
Runner-up: Collingwood
Wooden spoon: Gold Coast
Moving up: GWS
Set to fall: Fremantle
AFLW best and fairest: Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide)
Leading goalkicker: Chloe Molloy (Collingwood)
Recruit of the year: Chloe Dalton (Carlton to GWS)
Headline you'll see: Games on the move as state borders slam shut
Headline you won't see: Reigning premiers Brisbane crash out of finals contention
Big call: A forward line missing Sabreena Duffy and Ash Sharp will cost Fremantle after a few years in contention
Game-changer: Stating the obvious, but COVID hitting clubs. The knock-on effect will see train-on players given the opportunity at AFLW level, and these will be the players who will be key parts of expansion club lists in the future, benefiting the competition as a whole.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Duffy is a loss for sure but Sharp didn’t play much last year.

Black is pretty ignorant of Fremantle and I don’t think she watches any of our games.

Tighe, Morrison and Franklin can easily replace Duffy’s impact.

We have won a lot of games through little moments of magic that our forwards created for themselves, finding goals from nowhere in games where ten points may as well be six goals.

Our system seemed like it was about working hard to force as many half opportunities to those forwards and hoping they could make something happen.

I'm not sure we can replace such a point of difference. I'm hopeful but I'm expecting Houghton to be the only forward opposition clubs put any major planning into to adapt their style to shut her out of the game and leave the rest to their general defence plan.

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Duffy is a big loss. Agree that the oppo will try to blanket Houghton.
Last year we seemed slower and less structured than other teams, though never lacking in intent.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have won a lot of games through little moments of magic that our forwards created for themselves, finding goals from nowhere in games where ten points may as well be six goals.

Our system seemed like it was about working hard to force as many half opportunities to those forwards and hoping they could make something happen.

I'm not sure we can replace such a point of difference. I'm hopeful but I'm expecting Houghton to be the only forward opposition clubs put any major planning into to adapt their style to shut her out of the game and leave the rest to their general defence plan.
Teams would have a player behind the ball and double team Houghton.

We had no counter to that.

Would like us to switch the play a few times to break up the long game we play.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Teams would have a player behind the ball and double team Houghton.

We had no counter to that.

Would like us to switch the play a few times to break up the long game we play.
We aren't skilled enough imo

And that's not me saying that against the women, I mean our team specifically isn't skilled enough, others are at that point now

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
No team is particularly skilled, our level would sit fairly comfortably in that regard. Marking isn't the most key stat. I'd say hitting the ball hard along with getting to it quickly, is miles above anything else, given where the competition stands in its development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I'd say we don't have the depth on our kicks that other teams have, we don't have the marking power down the line and we don't have the touch out of the backline unless we are running it.

Just on ticketing. My AFLW membership ticket to the game on Saturday wasn’t cancelled. Which is good.
And that's fair enough too! I've bought mine so we are there. Omicron notwithstanding

No Excuses FC

Senior List
Sep 6, 2017
Porto Alegre (Brazil)
AFL Club
Fremantle
AFLW 2022: Fremantle Dockers midfielder Philipa Seth confirmed round one out after syndesmosis injury
Headshot of Eliza Reilly

Eliza ReillyThe West Australian
Wed, 5 January 2022 12:27AM
Eliza Reilly

Philipa Seth injured her ankle in a pre-season practice match against West Coast.

Philipa Seth injured her ankle in a pre-season practice match against West Coast. Credit: Will Russell/via AFL Photos

Fremantle could be without Philipa Seth for up to half of their AFLW campaign after the half-back turned midfielder suffered a syndesmosis injury.
Seth gave a strong account of her midfield capabilities in a promising practice match display against West Coast before injuring her ankle in the final quarter.
While the Dockers were hopeful Seth had escaped serious injury, the 27-year-old has since been diagnosed with a syndesmosis setback which will keep her out of round one and beyond.

A physio by trade, Seth missed the opening three games of the 2021 season with a hamstring injury.
Capable of a speedy recovery, Seth will still travel to Victoria with her teammates with hopes of returning to the field during the latter stages of Fremantle’s four-game interstate stretch.
Philipa Seth will return later in the season after an ankle syndesmosis injury ruled her out of round one.

Philipa Seth will return later in the season after an ankle syndesmosis injury ruled her out of round one. Credit: Graham Denholm/via AFL Photos

Seth was one of several players the Dockers were hoping to give midfield minutes to this season after Fremantle coach Trent Cooper declared finding support for league best and fairest Kiara Bowers a priority.
“It’s disappointing to lose Phil Seth with a syndesmosis injury but it wasn’t just Phil,” Cooper said.
“She wasn’t our only one and we think we’ve worked with a few others through the off-season to do that.
“A couple of our young players as well will put up their hand and we’ll see them through there in round one. It’s going to be exciting to see what the midfield can bring.”

Forward Kara Antonio is also ready to resume after being managed and missing Fremantle’s practice match.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/aflw/a...s-pick-dockers-to-make-grand-final--c-5191514
It leaves the Dockers with a near-complete playing list to pick from against West Coast in round one.
The Eagles have a full squad of 30 players to pick from for Saturday’s derby despite regularly needing top-up players as emergencies last season.
“It’s been really pleasing, we’ve got some really good work into the girls where our availability is really strong. Hopefully we can continue that,” senior coach Michael Prior said.

Both clubs have also confirmed they will name round one debutants.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've got a bad feeling about this year, think we are gonna fall to the bottom.

Same. Maybe not all the way to the bottom but certainly drop significantly. I dearly hope I'm wrong but Im getting strong vibes about a lack of importance being placed on skills improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back