Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are you staying Hojuman

There's not much to do in town. There will be tourist's everywhere. Go down to the beach and Lake Pertobe. Nice walk from the breakwater along the beach. There's 2 cafes where you can sit and have coffee/cake/beer or lunch, overlooking the water. Flagstaff Hill might be worth a look, it's a poor man's Sovereign Hill that documents the regions history with Shipwrecks. You can also go and stand near the boat I got married on.

Maybe on your way home go do the food trail at Timboon/Port Campbell and Princetown. There's a Whisky Distillery and Timboon Ice Cream.❤ and take in the 12 Apostles along the way.

BUT my most must see thing in Wbool is the Dirty Angel. It's a local icon.

What about recommending a tasty venue for a nibble pie (AKA party pie for the rest of us)? As my friends from down there remind me when I query their quaint regional dialect "You can't party on a pie."

Also don't eat too many nibble pies before attempting "The Gap" - the narrow gap between the 10 pin bowling venue and next door. Quite claustrophobic.

The maritime museum is unique that it now has no boats/ships to look at.

Last edited:
O.K. South Eastern Victorians down W'bool way. Booked 2 days there mid-week next week.
. Eateries ?
. Must-see's ?
. Secret spots ?
All suggestions considered. Thanks 👍
Chitticks pies.

Kermond's burgers (maybe you could bring me back a double bacon and cheese burger - I'm counting on you).

The dirty angel (find it by asking a local - everyone knows it). Post a photo.

Laps of surfside 1 caravan park.

Laps of Liebig St.

The marine museum.

You are safe - my uncle the cop is long gone. Back in his day nobody was safe.

Botanic serviced apartments Spidey 👍sounds good. Thanks for tips and advice. No Korean b.b.q. joints ?
I am amazed that there is even indian or Thai. This is WASP land.

If you hear the sound of distant banjos I suggest you hightail it out of there.

On the other hand, a day trip to Timboon and Port Campbell would fill some time. Cheese, whiskey and ice-cream all produced locally. Walk the rail trail to Curdies River. My Grandparents met there about 100 years ago.

I am amazed that there is even indian or Thai. This is WASP land.

If you hear the sound of distant banjos I suggest you hightail it out of there.

On the other hand, a day trip to Timboon and Port Campbell would fill some time. Cheese, whiskey and ice-cream all produced locally. Walk the rail trail to Curdies River. My Grandparents met there about 100 years ago.

Like a good rail trail SOS. Ta 👍

Like a good rail trail SOS. Ta 👍
I'm fair dinkum about this one. Start at Timboon distillery. It is the old railway station. As kids we used to get train rides to Curdies to swim in the river. The trail is an official walking track. Easy going but nice bushland. Very much the best part is the old trestle bridge at the river. Google it.

If you see any suspicious characters wearing rubber boots and raincoats however, you should just keep walking. Don't look sideways or back as SpiderBurton22 will attest.

Check this out:

I've posted it before but probably not in this thread.

Its a real time wind map of the earth. Its fascinating right now. The cyclone that was off the coast here is now up off rainbow beach/sunny coast in lesser Syria. (We've had at least 100mm since NYE, probably alot more but nothing since about 5am so the creeks might be down far enough to go somewhere today.)

Its driving onshore winds along the entire SE coast and the wind is blowing out of the east thru the roaring 40s all the way to the Bight. There is a massive u shaped (but upside down) trough that averages about 600km inland from every coast except the South Coast/Great Aust'n Bight. Its bushing the rain toward SE Victoria. All you Roos in Gippy hope you've got your gum boots ready.

I'm fair dinkum about this one. Start at Timboon distillery. It is the old railway station. As kids we used to get train rides to Curdies to swim in the river. The trail is an official walking track. Easy going but nice bushland. Very much the best part is the old trestle bridge at the river. Google it.

If you see any suspicious characters wearing rubber boots and raincoats however, you should just keep walking. Don't look sideways or back as SpiderBurton22 will attest.

Haha, yes. Beware of the good ol Timboon horse *er.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious reply now.😁

Eateries, my speciality. What do you like? The south end of Liebig St is the foodies end. Heaps of eateries all together. YOU MUST BOOK EARLY THOUGH, effing tourists everywhere.

Bojangles is the go to Pizza, pasta place and they do a GREAT steak. It's a Wbool institution, though it's a bit more expensive and you might wait a while for your food.

We've got about 5 Thai joints. Cattlyea is the best, it's your traditional Thai but The Liebig is my choice. Not as big Thai menu with general Asian street food. More variety and beautiful.

3 Indian joints. India gate is the go to. Western Pendu is a nice, though.

Pub Feeds. The Cally (Caledonian Hotel) and The Warny (Hotel Warrnambool) do good feeds and are nice pubs. Do not eat at the Whalers.

2 Mexican joints. Wouldn't recommend Taco Bills and there's a new place opened that I haven't been to.

If you like a bit of Tapas and a cocktail, The Hairy goat is not bad.

Have you got a kitchen in your house 😆

Actually Spidey and lads, is our trip going to be worth it ? ☹

You should be right. Wbool isn't as affected. Port Fairy is more affected cos it's only a small little village and it's harder to get staff if they have to isolate.

There are still plenty of things to see.

Port Fairy is still a nice place to visit and Tower Hill is on the way.

You should be right. Wbool isn't as affected. Port Fairy is more affected cos it's only a small little village and it's harder to get staff if they have to isolate.

There are still plenty of things to see.

Port Fairy is still a nice place to visit and Tower Hill is on the way.
Tower Hill is very worthwhile.

Hello fellow Roo folk. Looking for a town to buy in, within the 500-600k range, preferably within an hour's drive of Epping/Mernda in Melbourne's northern suburbs. Looking for a house, not a unit or townhouse...don't want to hear neighbours going to the toilet because their wall is 1 metre away. Solitude is ok for me, so I don't care if people's balls light up about a cafe on the main street because I own a kettle and can make my own coffee and that shouldn't add to my house price. More interested in knowing the physical lay of the land regarding localised flooding, bush/grass fires. Anyone here from Seymour/Tallarook/Broadford/Kilmore?

?question more is will things be open to enjoy and will Mrs.H.be run out of town when she tries to empty the local IGA ?

1641778201648.png

Some of the shops in Tmboon ought to be open. The main street looks pretty busy based on the live web cam footage above.

A few K's out of town, past the footy ground and the rubbish tip is where you'll find the Curdies Rier tresstle bridge. If you drive you will have to travel on some gravel roads. The best way to get there is to walk along the old railway line from the distillery (old station). A whiskey and an ice-cream should keep the kids quiet for a while. Below is where you will end up. They have fixed the bridge since the last time I saw it...

View attachment 1308479

Some of the shops in Tmboon ought to be open. The main street looks pretty busy based on the live web cam footage above.

A few K's out of town, past the footy ground and the rubbish tip is where you'll find the Curdies Rier tresstle bridge. If you drive you will have to travel on some gravel roads. The best way to get there is to walk along the old railway line from the distillery (old station). A whiskey and an ice-cream should keep the kids quiet for a while. Below is where you will end up. They have fixed the bridge since the last time I saw it...

She's found a flying fox somewhere 🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back