Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid has received the least attention but could be the 'consistently very good' player every midfield needs.
Our next Jordan Lewis, perhaps.

Is there any footballer left in the AFL who is into metal and hardcore music? Just one, please!
If they are I would think it’s pretty quickly removed from their thoughts after joining an AFL club and trying to fit in, as homogenized pop and dance is pretty much the order of the day for footy players these days.

If they are I would think it’s pretty quickly removed from their thoughts after joining an AFL club and trying to fit in, as homogenized pop and dance is pretty much the order of the day for footy players these days.

Quite amazing how the landscape has changed from the hard rock days.
Footy used to be all about that, now the kids don't GAF.
They love what they love and I think that's a good thing.

Quite amazing how the landscape has changed from the hard rock days.
Footy used to be all about that, now the kids don't GAF.
They love what they love and I think that's a good thing.

A bit strange that you think footy is somehow less homogenised these days and that it's a good thing they like what they like, as though they didn't in other eras. If anything, because of social media the players these days care a lot more about fitting in.

A bit strange that you think footy is somehow less homogenised these days and that it's a good thing they like what they like, as though they didn't in other eras. If anything, because of social media the players these days care a lot more about fitting in.
You make a good point about fitting in.
I wonder if there's a divide between city/country kids, and also bw states.
My point is that it has changed over the years and will continue to change bc the kids don't care about the prevailing AFL culture.
They make their own as they come into the system. For the longest time, that wasn't the case.

I can’t believe I forgot him, but Charlie Dixon’s favourite band is Alexisonfire. At least Charlie doesn’t look like a bloke the other boys would argue with if he had the HDMI cord.

Happy w this pick, but I do wonder if we should've taken Zach Taylor instead.
How do they compare against one another?
Taylor's highlights are much more impressive, especially with ball use and dynamism.

Happy to go with the clubs choice and to hear that his coach at Haileybury was shocked he went to Hawthorn because he had so many clubs keen and we didn’t give much away at all, but played the poker hand and got in before Carlton was about to take him …….. and the coach was no other than scumbag, super man diving Matty Loyld!!!!

Happy w this pick, but I do wonder if we should've taken Zach Taylor instead.
How do they compare against one another?
Taylor's highlights are much more impressive, especially with ball use and dynamism.
I personally thought Taylor would be a slider on the night. Worry about players that size without elite athleticism and his foot skills, imo, weren't as crash hot as advertised. Saw a lot of Ollie Hanrahan in him. Macdonald has those elite AFL athletic traits, is super competitive and a high character guy. We got a real nice blend with our picks and Butler was the pick over Taylor all day. Time will tell suppose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally thought Taylor would be a slider on the night. Worry about players that size without elite athleticism and his foot skills, imo, weren't as crash hot as advertised. Saw a lot of Ollie Hanrahan in him. Macdonald has those elite AFL athletic traits, is super competitive and a high character guy. We got a real nice blend with our picks and Butler was the pick over Taylor all day. Time will tell suppose

I felt the opposite. Saw more Caleb Daniel/Zach Merrett in Taylor.

However, we nabbed Ward and Butler first meaning Taylor wasn't necessary from a list management point of view. If we'd taken Gibcus and Knevitt at our first two picks (as an example) I would have been very keen on Taylor with our third.

Macdonald I see as being that hard working Liam Shiels/Ben Keays/Jack Viney type of midfielder.

he is very consistent from the games i have seen him play in, in that he accumulates, works well in tight as an inside mid, makes good decisions, isnt a flashy player, more consistently in the right spots doing the attacking and defensive work you expect from a high calibre mid.

he is decent in marking contests as well and seems brave from what i can remember, decent disposal, i really like this pick here, i think Worpel, Ward, MacDonald, Newcombe and Long could develop into a quality midfield group within the next 3-4 years with Bramble and maybe Downie/Day on the wings?, they all seem to play different roles, Newcombe is the slow tough inside mid who can play the intimidator role, Worpel can play the in and under ruck rover role working off of the rucks instructions as to where its likely to go, MacDonald could play the centreman role managing the play from the centre, Ward can play the rover role, running from packs being fed the ball and line breaking and Long can play Intimidator/Medium Forward/Backup role(this is all if everything goes right), but we'll see if they can handle the pressures of a professional environment first.

he is very consistent from the games i have seen him play in, in that he accumulates, works well in tight as an inside mid, makes good decisions, isnt a flashy player, more consistently in the right spots doing the attacking and defensive work you expect from a high calibre mid.

he is decent in marking contests as well and seems brave from what i can remember, decent disposal, i really like this pick here, i think Worpel, Ward, MacDonald, Newcombe and Long could develop into a quality midfield group within the next 3-4 years with Bramble and maybe Downie/Day on the wings?, they all seem to play different roles, Newcombe is the slow tough inside mid who can play the intimidator role, Worpel can play the in and under ruck rover role working off of the rucks instructions as to where its likely to go, MacDonald could play the centreman role managing the play from the centre, Ward can play the rover role, running from packs being fed the ball and line breaking and Long can play Intimidator/Medium Forward/Backup role(this is all if everything goes right), but we'll see if they can handle the pressures of a professional environment first.
Nash?

The last player i can remember that we ‘snatched’ right before Carlton were about to pounce is none other than our coach… hopefully he turns iut to be half the player mitchell was for us
Nah we did the same for Ciarán Kilkenny who did a few weeks of preseason then bailed.

Probably one of the best was when we got John Platton from Carlton after they got him a car and paper bag of cash. They had no recourse as they were all salary cap cheating perks to try and lure him from SA but he just took the bribes and joined hawthorn anyway.

Nah we did the same for Ciarán Kilkenny who did a few weeks of preseason then bailed.

Probably one of the best was when we got John Platton from Carlton after they got him a car and paper bag of cash. They had no recourse as they were all salary cap cheating perks to try and lure him from SA but he just took the bribes and joined hawthorn anyway.

It's Platten. And no-one called him John.....ever.
Johnny. Johnny Platten. Top 5 Hawthorn player all time.
Let's make sure we get his name right at least.;)

McDonald will be an interesting watch.

Dosn't appear to have any elite physical tools ie. speed , size, elite endurance, cannon for a leg etc.

Making it at the top level is such a fine line for players like him.

The difference between a Jordan Lewis /Mitch Duncan and a Ryan Bastinac/James Cousins comes down to execusion.

He will need to be an excellent decision maker and hit targets.

Looks a ball magnet and smart user. I am keen to see him strutt his stuff against men in the VFL.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back