Our Starting 22 - Round 1 2022

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
As I said worry about a KPF at seasons end where we either trade for one and/or draft a couple of youngsters. For mine settling Balta down back is the big key for us. Our recent success has been built around a solid defensive unit and now we're starting to see that unit come to it's end, with Astbury and Houli moving on and Grimes & Tarrant probably 2-3 years off the end as well. We need to have at least 1 KPD set in stone by time they're gone and that is Balta, with one of Miller Nyoun or Gibcus the other. If we're really wanting to try a defender as a forward then try one of those 3, Miller already spent some time in recent years training with the forwards and also learning some ruck craft as well would be the first one I'd try.
For the record I don't disagree about Balta...

However we can't leave the KPF until next year... I don't even think JR has a full year in him this year.

If it has to be Miller, so be it, but it has to be someone.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
My Side

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlaustin Balta Rioli
Lambert Prestia Mcintosh
Edwards Riewoldt Baker
Martin Lynch Bolton
Nank Graham RCD
Bench Broad, Soldo, Stack, Ross
Emergency Pickett, Castagna, Martyn
Your 22 is pretty close to spot on

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
My Side

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlaustin Balta Rioli
Lambert Prestia Mcintosh
Edwards Riewoldt Baker
Martin Lynch Bolton
Nank Graham RCD

Your 22 is pretty close to spot on

A midfield of RCD Prestia Graham is way too slow and would get slaughtered by good teams. I think the defence is right which means Broad is in trouble.

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlaustin Balta Rioli
x Prestia Mcintosh
Lambert Riewoldt Baker
Stack Lynch George (or another small)
Nank Bolton Martin

Cotch Graham Soldo Edwards

Ive prob left someone obvious out and not sure who the wingman should be (Im not sure Lambert would last on a wing anymore). Hopefully Hugo has a big summer. I think we need speed, certainly ahead of the ball like we used to have. Id like to see Bolton and Martin both play midfield/forward 80/20. They are our 2 best players and we always get smashed in the middle. RCD and the others will get plenty of chances as Cotch and Prestia will I'm sure miss plenty of games.

I don't think we can afford to have too older forward line given our style of play. Id like to one of edwards/lambert not both at once. Dusty forward when one of Jack/Lynch is resting.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
A midfield of RCD Prestia Graham is way too slow and would get slaughtered by good teams. I think the defence is right which means Broad is in trouble.

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlaustin Balta Rioli
x Prestia Mcintosh
Lambert Riewoldt Baker
Stack Lynch George (or another small)
Nank Bolton Martin

Cotch Graham Soldo Edwards

Ive prob left someone obvious out and not sure who the wingman should be (Im not sure Lambert would last on a wing anymore). Hopefully Hugo has a big summer. I think we need speed, certainly ahead of the ball like we used to have. Id like to see Bolton and Martin both play midfield/forward 80/20. They are our 2 best players and we always get smashed in the middle. RCD and the others will get plenty of chances as Cotch and Prestia will I'm sure miss plenty of games.

I don't think we can afford to have too older forward line given our style of play. Id like to one of edwards/lambert not both at once. Dusty forward when one of Jack/Lynch is resting.
Your first line had merit but you lost me with Broad in trouble. The lack of respect this guy still gets is incredible

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Why not. Replace Tarrant with Astbury and he played with all of them

But that never overly worked. Balta really replaced Astbury, who hardly played the last 2 years. When we went that tall for the grand final, We lost Vlas early and still had to move Balta out cos it was too tall. We cant move Short or Rioli as we need both rebounding defenders. Could obv have 1 of the 5 off the bench, but may need more run if we play 2 rucks. Its a good problem to have anyway.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
But that never overly worked. Balta really replaced Astbury, who hardly played the last 2 years. When we went that tall for the grand final, We lost Vlas early and still had to move Balta out cos it was too tall. We cant move Short or Rioli as we need both rebounding defenders. Could obv have 1 of the 5 off the bench, but may need more run if we play 2 rucks.

Um hardly ever worked? Only won 3 flags with it. Not just the GFs but every game leading up to it. Broad plays tall and small as does grimes.
Astbury went into the ruck at times after soldo went down. Balta went in the ruck in the GF because he was losing his match up and astbury was beating Hawkins. Broad allows this to happen because he regularly beats his opponent

Last edited:
I really doubt we can wait another year. A year older than last, they were not the players they were last season.
Jack is on the wane, as a third tall I reckon he can still do some damage, but he is not the player he was physically.
Lynch is due for a good season, but he has kicked 32 and 35 goals in the last two season, so let's hope so. Going in the same this year with all eggs in one basket is asking for trouble.

Besides Harry O'Brien, the goal kickers were all older than 30, Hawkins, Jack, Walker, Franklin, Bruce, King, Daniher (not 30 but going nowhere), Kennedy, Darling. Naughton kicked only 40 goals for the year at 1.9 a game.

There are precious few decent talls in the league, much less ones that go to the trade, certainly there will be nothing of Balta's quality.
Cameron was one of the few decent one's to change over last summer, and he cost an arm and a leg, and frankly isn't that good.

Suns King might be on the table, but every club in the land will chase him if he is, so again an arm an a leg.

Draft by all means, but they won't be ready for a couple of year, well after jack is gone.

If Lynch in particular goes down, we are in real strife.
Well there isn't much we can do about it now. The list is set barring a LTI or unforeseen retirement.

As I've said countless times, Balta is our number 1 option as our long term KPD, you don't go taking away your best young KPD to fill another hole, when you already have a couple of proven performers in the role. You back them in to play out the season, and if you want to look at a younger option then try one of the other young talls who haven't been setlled into a position yet or one who has already been put on the list, that gives us Miller Nyoun Ryan and Gibcus to try in that role as a KPF.

Further to that we've got Nankervis Soldo & Ryan who we could use as a KPF if we want to leave Miller Nyoun and Gibcus to develop down back and if worse comes to worse and Jack and/or Tom get hurt and miss games and we do have to rely on these guys to fill the void we are in a win-win situation IMO.

If Jack/Tom miss games and we use the kids in the role and they come off well we fix a problem area and can still head to the draft and restock the cupboard again. If they don't come off and we finish in a similar position as we did this year we'll get access to one of the highly rated talls or we've got a better draft pick to head to the trade table with.

For mine we can't lose in this situation, so I'm not sure why there is so much angst.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
My Side

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlaustin Balta Rioli
Lambert Prestia Mcintosh
Edwards Riewoldt Baker
Martin Lynch Bolton
Nank Graham RCD
Jack barely got out of the offensive 50m last year, all his good work was inside.
We were hopeless at moving the ball from defence to offence and our attack was pretty average, in fact worse.
Thinking that Jack at 33 is suddenly going to regain his spring, and without that he cannot outmark the big defenders much less split packs wasn't watching last year.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Um hardly ever worked? Only won 3 flags with it. Not just the GFs but every game leading up to it. Broad plays tall and small as does grimes.
Astbury went into the ruck at times after soldo went down. Balta went in the ruck in the GF because he was losing his match up and astbury was beating Hawkins. Broad allows this to happen because he regularly beats his opponent

Well in 19 we didn't have the extra tall, 20 Astbury got injured early and was replaced by Balta. Last year we had injuries everywhere and the defence was shocking. I just think our team is older now and we need speed, both Short and Rioli will be required in the back 6. Who knows how many games Tarrant will play anyway.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Well in 19 we didn't have the extra tall, 20 Astbury got injured early and was replaced by Balta. Last year we had injuries everywhere and the defence was shocking. I just think our team is older now and we need speed, both Short and Rioli will be required in the back 6. Who knows how many games Tarrant will play anyway.

Agree with this. Will be interesting to see what they do with Short. He had an average year last season. I liked the suggestions from others of sending him to the wing. The possibility’s of longer deeper entries into dangerous spots

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree with this. Will be interesting to see what they do with Short. He had an average year last season. I liked the suggestions from others of sending him to the wing. The possibility’s of longer deeper entries into dangerous spots

He was average last year, didn't create anywhere near enough. If one of him or Rioli could be a gun on the wing it would be great.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
But that never overly worked. Balta really replaced Astbury, who hardly played the last 2 years. When we went that tall for the grand final, We lost Vlas early and still had to move Balta out cos it was too tall. We cant move Short or Rioli as we need both rebounding defenders. Could obv have 1 of the 5 off the bench, but may need more run if we play 2 rucks. Its a good problem to have anyway.
Mate what planet have you been on. since 2017 we have always gone with when all are fit until retirement Rance Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad and Astbury with Houli the running outlet player. The only time that structure has changed is when injury has hit.

It was the exact same 6 for 2018.
It was going to be the exact same but We lost Rance round 1 2019 and Balta came into the team and played 13 games in varying roles.
That season Grimes in particular played kpd for us and Broad played mostly tall. Balta going back, well the writing was well and truly on the cards.
It was obvious because that is the structure the club has clearly wanted for a long while, its actually the same sort of set up most clubs have.

2O20 except for injury it was Broad, Grimes, Vlastuin Houli, Astbury and Balta had taken over from Rance.
2021Totally cruelled by injuries Balta played just 14 games, Broad 14 Vlastuin 12 Astbury 17 Grimes played 21. At every opportunity for the last 5 years our defensive set up has been the four talls made up of two genuine kpd's Astbury, Rance and later Balta. Two versatile genuine talls in Broad and Grimes and one very solid medium in Vlastuin.We have had our share of outlet players Houli, Short, Mansell Rioli, Stack even Brandon Ellis.

The first 5 players picked for the backline this year will be Tarrant, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin and if we play him in defense Balta, if we dont and play him forward then im sure if they think Miller is ready they will maintain the two KPD, Two tall and Vlastuin set up. its been one overwhelming constant for over five years now.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Mate what planet have you been on. since 2017 we have always gone with when all are fit until retirement Rance Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad and Astbury with Houli the running outlet player. The only time that structure has changed is when injury has hit.

It was the exact same 6 for 2018.
It was going to be the exact same but We lost Rance round 1 2019 and Balta came into the team and played 13 games in varying roles.
That season Grimes in particular played kpd for us and Broad played mostly tall. Balta going back, well the writing was well and truly on the cards.
It was obvious because that is the structure the club has clearly wanted for a long while, its actually the same sort of set up most clubs have.

2O20 except for injury it was Broad, Grimes, Vlastuin Houli, Astbury and Balta had taken over from Rance.
2021Totally cruelled by injuries Balta played just 14 games, Broad 14 Vlastuin 12 Astbury 17 Grimes played 21. At every opportunity for the last 5 years our defensive set up has been the four talls made up of two genuine kpd's Astbury, Rance and later Balta. Two versatile genuine talls in Broad and Grimes and one very solid medium in Vlastuin.We have had our share of outlet players Houli, Short, Mansell Rioli, Stack even Brandon Ellis.

The first 5 players picked for the backline this year will be Tarrant, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin and if we play him in defense Balta, if we dont and play him forward then im sure if they think Miller is ready they will maintain the two KPD, Two tall and Vlastuin set up. its been one overwhelming constant for over five years now.

In 2020 we weren't setup that way at the start. Balta only went back once Astbury got injured. He then dominated the Melbourne game and stayed the rest of the season. Astbury came back for the final match + finals.

Anyway all I'm suggesting is we need to get more run all over the ground as we get older. Having Short and Rioli both in the starting back 6 could help.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Balta replaced Rance not Astbury...

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack barely got out of the offensive 50m last year, all his good work was inside.
We were hopeless at moving the ball from defence to offence and our attack was pretty average, in fact worse.
Thinking that Jack at 33 is suddenly going to regain his spring, and without that he cannot outmark the big defenders much less split packs wasn't watching last year.

Jack's spring was as good in 2021 as it was as far back as 2016 and 17. Just check his mark highlights. Obviously he isn't covering as much ground but JR beats defenders through smarts more than pure leap and has done for years. It was 2010-12 when he just leapt on everyone's head all the time. JR won our goal-kicking and was up there with the best in the comp (equal 5th despite the way we brought it in) showing he still has what it takes even with poor delivery.

The way we brought the ball inside 50 was the issue as you said. We seemed to get it there a bit (AFL #9 and the second least number of I50's conceded) but the manner we brought it in sucked a bit.

I think our defensive setups once we lost the ball inside our F50 was actually a big issue but one that could be coached better.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack's spring was as good in 2021 as it was as far back as 2016 and 17. Just check his mark highlights. Obviously he isn't covering as much ground but JR beats defenders through smarts more than pure leap and has done for years. It was 2010-12 when he just leapt on everyone's head all the time. JR won our goal-kicking and was up there with the best in the comp (equal 5th despite the way we brought it in) showing he still has what it takes even with poor delivery.

The way we brought the ball inside 50 was the issue as you said. We seemed to get it there a bit (AFL #9 and the second least number of I50's conceded) but the manner we brought it in sucked a bit.

I think our defensive setups once we lost the ball inside our F50 was actually a big issue but one that could be coached better.
Don't agree, he flies early and in the old days got the lift, not any more. He's no cripple, and he still took some good grabs, but very few of them were up the ground like he used to do. That spring allowed him to get up and knock the ball on if he couldn't mark it, not any more, was outbodied more than he has ever been when he was outside 50. Still think he has a good year left, but not if he has to do the bullocking work, those days are gone.

Back