His best is yet to come

Remove this Banner Ad

When Chris Fagan took over the Lions he told Daniel Rich during an introductory interview that he felt his best footy was still to come. 5 years later and Rich has gone from a dangerous but middling midfielder to one of the elite defenders in the competition with an AA guernsey to complement his effort.

Who is a player, halfway or more in their career, that you think will go to the next level in 2022?

I mentioned something similar in another thread this time last year but if Rory Lobb can find any sort of consistency and play to his potential week in week out then Freo will be in a much better place.
He has the motivation this year after trying to (unsuccessfully) shop himself around and a young buck drafted to take his spot.
He definitely has all the tools, I’m hoping he has a point to prove and actually goes out there with a bit of attitude this year - Will be a massive part of the puzzle for Freo if he does!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

David Mundy gets better every year.

I'm gonna say Whitfield. He's had a rough couple of years but at his best could easily be a top 10 player

I'm not sure Whitfield has another level to go to but if he can be fit for 22 games that would be massive for GWS. There's less than a handful of players that can be as damaging.

When is he gonna stop? I love it. The idea that players can go until 37 and still be among the competition elite is great. Wonder if in a few years we'll go from 30 being getting old for AFL to 40 being the new old benchmark?

Yeah but I think the thread is “ if they are more than half way through their career” 🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aidan Corr

HOGAN please and thankyou. Would be massive if he can play consistently and without injury. The potential is there, the expectation (externally) is at an all time low.

Don't really care about GWS one way or the other but this is a redemption arc I'd absolutely love to see.

So basically guys who aren't considered young anymore, their talent is a little forgotten about but they could end up in that A-grade bracket at some stage.

Adelaide - Brodie Smith (I know he was AA in 2014, but you know...)
Brisbane - Marcus Adams
Carlton - Charlie Curnow
Collingwood - JDG
Essendon - James Stewart
Fremantle - Alex Pearce
Geelong - Jack Henry
Gold Coast - Bowes
GWS - Hopper
Hawthorn - Scrimshaw
Melbourne - (struggling) Brayshaw to eventually be released back into the stoppages
North Melbourne - Ben McKay
Port Adelaide - Dan Houston
Richmond - Baker
Sydney - Ollie Florent
St Kilda - Jade Gresham
West Coast - Willie Rioli
Western Bulldogs - Toby McLean

Don't really care about GWS one way or the other but this is a redemption arc I'd absolutely love to see.
Yeah it would be a nice arc if he could reach the level people thought he would. Last year was a good start but he needs to go to that next level to get the next contract I think. He will get the opportunity this year.

If I could pick one player in the league to never play against Richmond again, I’d pick Mundy.

What does he eat??? It feels like he’s basically the reason why Richmond lost to Fremantle in all our losses within the last 8 or so years. He was one of the most dynamic midfielders on-field against us last year and he’s older than all of our midfielders!

Of course, I admire his playing skills, but it’s frustrating at the same time for an opposition supporter like me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Mackay won't let retirement stop him getting that elusive second Brownlow vote....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So basically guys who aren't considered young anymore, their talent is a little forgotten about but they could end up in that A-grade bracket at some stage.

Adelaide - Brodie Smith (I know he was AA in 2014, but you know...)
Brisbane - Marcus Adams
Carlton - Charlie Curnow
Collingwood - JDG
Essendon - James Stewart
Fremantle - Alex Pearce
Geelong - Jack Henry
Gold Coast - Bowes
GWS - Hopper
Hawthorn - Scrimshaw
Melbourne - (struggling) Brayshaw to eventually be released back into the stoppages
North Melbourne - Ben McKay
Port Adelaide - Dan Houston
Richmond - Baker
Sydney - Ollie Florent
St Kilda - Jade Gresham
West Coast - Willie Rioli
Western Bulldogs - Toby McLean
I firmly believe if Marcus Adams can play out a full season fully fit, he's easily AA standard and would be in the conversation for best key defenders in the competition. It's so rare that he's actually fit

Yeah it would be a nice arc if he could reach the level people thought he would. Last year was a good start but he needs to go to that next level to get the next contract I think. He will get the opportunity this year.

Would be fantastic to see. I'm hoping at a minimum his body stays sound so he has the chance to finally realise his potential.

For Melbourne, I'm think Wiedeman has more to show. His run of games in 2020 was very impressive, he just had no chance to gain form of consistency this year after injury hit him in the pre season. He's been written off by most as a spud, but I think he could be a 40 goal forward this year if he can get a good pre season in to him.

Zac Langdon is 27 this year. I would like to think he won't get worse. Does that count?

I firmly believe if Marcus Adams can play out a full season fully fit, he's easily AA standard and would be in the conversation for best key defenders in the competition. It's so rare that he's actually fit

He looked really good in his first season for the Doggies, just hasn't pushed on mainly due to injury.

Really good defender though. Starting to settle at the Lions and has developed a fair bit from what I have seen. Just needs to stay fit, but if he can play out a season I can see him hitting some pretty decent form. Tough matchup for most key forwards.

Zac Langdon is 27 this year. I would like to think he won't get worse. Does that count?

I could easily see him not playing another game or getting a couple at the end of the year for investigative purposes.

Dunno why the Eagles bothered tbh. He looked state league standard at the Giants and with Rioli returning I'm assuming West Coast will be hard pressed to play him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back