What are the question marks over your team in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, but in December of 2020 when the draft was held, you had Larkey and an injured Comben on the list, and you weren't to know that you'd have Pick 1 in the mid season draft, nor did you know who would be there at that pick when you took Phillips at 3. So your original point of "we have 4 talls on the list NOW" is pretty much redundant to the discussion about who you took in 2020.

Not saying it's wrong, or that he won't be any good, but North had two talls staring them in the face, and they went for a small no one had seen play for 12 months.

Rightly or wrongly, there's a lot of pressure on Phillips, because North took him before the two WA talls.

DGB has shown absolutely nothing to say they were wrong in that assessment and McDonald was considered a flight risk and demoted in the order accordingly.

The North recruiters absolutely loved Thilthorpe.

DGB and McDonald, not so much.

There’s plenty of ITK posts from the middle of that year regarding Thilthorpe and North.

Again, you have made that up.

North had him at #3. They had Thilthorpe at #1 and JUH #2

KM’s thread and 15 copies of it isn’t the AFL recruiting circle for what it’s worth…
Well i haven't, so again, wrong

Where did i say all clubs?

I said most, hence for example, Sydney were going to take DGB until McDonald was available

Obviously North Rated him @ 3, they took him there

Your compatriot wanted to refer to Twomey before and he rated him at 6

Twomey is/was the most informed draft watcher in the caper

Obvious one is are we good enough to go the next step.
I expect Lions to be top 4 again, 4th year in a row, but anything less than a grand final appearance would be a disappointment. One successful finals campaign and suddenly our current finals record isn't even noteworthy. Another straights set exit is simply unacceptable.

DGB has shown absolutely nothing to say they were wrong in that assessment and McDonald was considered a flight risk and demoted in the order accordingly.

The North recruiters absolutely loved Thilthorpe.

DGB and McDonald, not so much.

There’s plenty of ITK posts from the middle of that year regarding Thilthorpe and North.
If DGB has shown nothing to say they were wrong

Phillips aint shown nothing to say you were right

Its too early to say either

But the premise is that Phillips was a stretch based on "publicly rated talent", but he wasnt to North, so that there decision to make

Time will tell

Well i haven't, so again, wrong

Where did i say all clubs?

I said most, hence for example, Sydney were going to take DGB until McDonald was available

Obviously North Rated him @ 3, they took him there

Your compatriot wanted to refer to Twomey before and he rated him at 6

Twomey is/was the most informed draft watcher in the caper

It’s a stupid argument anyway, even with a top 5 pick, you would generally be happy if that player is in the top 5-10 of that draft relooking at it in 5-10 years.

I do find the relative rating of McDonald, Phillips and DGB pretty amusing though. DGB played 5 games and spent plenty in the 2’s why the certainty that he’s not a potential bust either?

The early hype with McDonald disappeared as quickly as it appeared also.

It’s a stupid argument anyway, even with a top 5 pick, you would generally be happy if that player is in the top 5-10 of that draft relooking at it in 5-10 years.

I do find the relative rating of McDonald, Phillips and DGB pretty amusing though. DGB played 5 games and spent plenty in the 2’s why the certainty that he’s not a potential bust either?
Played 2 games in the reserves Denver, had a knee injury at the start of the year and then got concussed mid year

Didn't spend "plenty in the twos"

Because if you watched him play, you know why he's not a bust

You may say the same about Phillips

DGB has shown absolutely nothing to say they were wrong in that assessment
The kid looked a jet in his first game to the point that even Kane Cornes had something positive to say.😂

Again, because you say its wrong, its not, the info is there for you to see

And i was wrong about that, i got him confused with Gold Coasts, sorry

As you have said “most recruiters” thought Phillips wasn’t top 5 (in the open draft), please provide links to comments that show this. 10 links for 10 teams will suffice.

In reality Phillips was one of 4 players fighting it out for top 4 all year, then that top 4 was joined by McDonald as the year progressed. As we know, Phillips and Hollands didn’t play at all during the year.

That’s a fact.

My top 5 was RT, WAP, DGB, Hollands, McDonald. No other player would have been considered (other than JUH and Campbell).

In 2017 the Tigers depth used at AFL level consisted of: Hunt, Lennon, Morris, Batchelor, Miles, Conca, C Ellis, Elton, Lloyd, Menadue, who ultimately didn’t play in any of our flags. Townsend who did play in the 2017 flag. All of these are no longer on AFL lists. Griffiths started as best 22 but was cut down by injuries.

Markov who didn’t play in a flag but is enjoying first 22 status at the Suns. Stengle who has just been picked up by the Cats, to form a one man under 30 department. 😁.

And emerging stars/good players Short, Soldo(21yo,) Bolton(19yo) and Broad and Graham(19yo), the latter two played in the 2017 flag.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The current non-best 22 depth looks a bit different, mainly younger emerging players:

Aarts, Caddy, Parker, who are now mature depth players really.

Then a load of young and emerging players some now in their 4th and 5th years at the club:

New draftees Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke all look talented but are first year of course, and Rioli Jnr is still a baby barely older than that lot.

Miller, Collier-Dawkins, Ross, all entering their 4th or 5th seasons at the club.

Mansell, Ralphsmith, Ryan, Cumberland, Martyn, Dow, Nyuon are all 20 or 21 right now.

The ones I have bolded, due to the positions they play, their age, and stage of development, and most recent form, look Richmond’s main depth options for the 2022 season. There are 23 players who look best 22 besides that depth so there is an extra player there as well, depending on how the club sees Soldo/Pickett/McIntosh/Castagna/Stack, some of whom could be marginal for a variety of different reasons.

When you look at all the bolded depth players from both 2017 and 2021, there is a bit of a shift from exposed players like Townsend, Lloyd and Miles in their mid 20’s to younger depth with more possible upside in 2022. I would agree though, that for the Tigers to be any good in 2022, 4-5 of the younger players I have bolded above would have to offer something substantial in 2022. It may be a little early yet for that many to come through, but talent wise, the depth looks to be there.

Pretty much my view.

The potential of the young players is fairly obvious. But mostly they have a fair jump to be genuine AFL players as yet, or are inconsistent. So glass half full the younger talent looks great and the Tigers will emerge from 2022 with a really good season and an almost seamless move from one generation to another. Glass half empty the younger talent is spotty and a bit flaky and the Tigers will emerge from 2022 with the older core almost shot and a shallow and poorly balanced younger group.

I'm hoping for option 1, but a bit worried that it might be option 2. Expecting something in between.

Rightly or wrongly, there's a lot of pressure on Phillips, because North took him before the two WA talls.
As soon as Jason Horne-Francis walked through the door, any pressure on Will Phillips evaporated. Phillips will also have a few years to find his feet as there is a lot of talent around him in the midfield.

I'd argue there is more pressure on LDU to take the next step this season and on Tarryn Thomas to replicate his form from the back half of last season.

It is very clear that Key defenders have not been a focus for Norths drafting for the last few seasons and so someone such as DGB wouldn't have been considered. Mark Finnigan took umbrage to questions around the lack of key defenders being recruited over the last few draft in a recent members Q&A.

We will know in a few seasons whether Norths recruiters have got this stuff right or not but it is far too early to make a call on it imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think that’s how it works.

Yeah, it sort of is.

There’s zero pressure on Phillips next year, we have plenty of depth in young midfielders, him breaking out in 2022 or 2023/24 will really make no difference.

The same as there’s no pressure on Powell, Goater etc. I would have said JHF, but #1 will naturally bring pressure.

Pressure at North next year is on the likes of LDU, McKay, Thomas, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Larkey etc They should all be transitioning into consistent senior players

Last edited:
Yeah, it sort of is.

There’s zero pressure on Phillips next year, we have plenty of depth in young midfielders, him breaking out in 2022 or 2023/24 will really make no difference.
You don’t think he’ll feel the pressure if others taken after him have good 2022 seasons and he’s still playing VFL?

If North are holding up the ladder again and he’s not doing much theres more than enough idiots like Cornes who will start asking if it was the right decision when they’re looking for something to talk about, because I’m not sure JHF is going to be the difference in his first year to take any heat.

You don’t think he’ll feel the pressure if others taken after him have good 2022 seasons and he’s still playing VFL?

If North are holding up the ladder again and he’s not doing much theres more than enough idiots like Cornes who will start asking if it was the right decision when they’re looking for something to talk about, because I’m not sure JHF is going to be the difference in his first year to take any heat.

That’s a pretty big hypothetical of you…

That’s a pretty big hypothetical of you…
Not really.

North are only a bad couple of weeks from Cornes or whoever else bringing up the Phillips selection, and I think you know that, because we got it for Hodge for about 5-6 years.

How do we replace the great Tim O'Brien??

Obvious one is are we good enough to go the next step.
I expect Lions to be top 4 again, 4th year in a row, but anything less than a grand final appearance would be a disappointment. One successful finals campaign and suddenly our current finals record isn't even noteworthy. Another straights set exit is simply unacceptable.
I would say that's pretty accurate. So are you confident that your midfield is up to it against the best teams?

Still playing VFL? He played 14 games in the 1s last year. You are talking about him like he spent the year in the 2s ffs.

Any player with half a braincell isn't listening to whatever Kane Cornes or most of the footy media have to say. What is said internally is far more important. We aren't a club in the limelight either. The media will be focused on how s**t Collingwood are next year.

Not really.

North are only a bad couple of weeks from Cornes or whoever else bringing up the Phillips selection, and I think you know that, because we got it for Hodge for about 5-6 years.
Hodge was a number 1 draft pick like Horne-francis, not like Phillips. If we had the no.1 pick last year and took Phillips you'd have a semblance of a point.

Hodge was a number 1 draft pick like Horne-francis, not like Phillips. If we had the no.1 pick last year and took Phillips you'd have a semblance of a point.
Regardless of whether he’s pick 1 or 3 you’ve already had a number of people questioning the selection in the media.

The no.1 draft pick isn't under the most pressure?
He’ll be under pressure in his own right, but he doesn’t take all the pressure off of Phillips.

Regardless of whether he’s pick 1 or 3 you’ve already had a number of people questioning the selection in the media.
Kane Cornes doesn't rate him but Garry Lyon loves him. Take from that what you will. Do you honestly believe these guys give a * what dickheads like Cornes say about them?

Do you think Hodge or Clarko gave two shits about what anyone in the media said early on in Hodge's career? Wouldn't have thought so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back