Free Agency Liam Stocker - signed by St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

He has already mentioned that he's having surgery and will be out for 10-14 weeks.

Laverde did one quite badly that required surgery in round 8 2020 and returned the AFL side in round 18 after 2 or 3 weeks in the VFL. So you’d think 14 weeks would be on the extreme end. Hopefully closer to 9 or 10

People forget just how mediocre the start of Luke Hodges career was.

Sure its unlikely Stocker will end up the player of Hodge's caliber, but who knows what his future holds. Not every player is going to be a plug and play instant superstar like Walsh. Plenty of the greatest Carlton players of all time spent time playing defense, or developing in the 2s, in the early years.
Wot? Haha

I was pretty young when Hodge debuted but his stats look ugly early on.

Had a 1 possession game in his first season, hit 20 possessions just once in his second year, hit 20 possessions just once in his second year... Then had a huge uptick and went berserk in his 4th year.

Bodes well for young Stocker this season.

Hodge was AA in his 4th year. Big year for Stocker then as he is entering his 4th year.

Comparing Hodge's level of talent with Stocker is just unfair on Stocker. They are in totally different realms in terms of talent.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Hodge was AA in his 4th year. Big year for Stocker then as he is entering his 4th year.

Comparing Hodge's level of talent with Stocker is just unfair on Stocker. They are in totally different realms in terms of talent.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Nobody's comparing their talent except for people with comprehension issues. Hodge was just used as an example of someone who was a late bloomer.

Possibly, he's probably a little bit more athletic but he definitely has similarities to both in his play style. Would have to improve a hell of a lot to reach either players peaks

Agreed on the athleticism point. Have Hibberd as more that big bodied athletic medium defender in the mould of Maynard/Starcevich/Redman ect.

If Stocker remains a small defender he’d be more modelling his game on your Hodge/Docherty/Vlastuin types. Which goes to my issue with him being a defender long term I just haven’t seen that overhead marking or ability to read and set up play from Stocker that makes players of that type so damaging. Get him in the guts pronto I reckon where his aggression and kicking skills will hurt the opposition most.

Callum Mills followed a similar development path

He has made positive strides but now sees his third coach in just his fourth year in the system. Hopefully that aspect sees stability and the kid continues on the upward trend. I like his physicality more than anything which is something generally lacking in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge had about 16 touches. A goal and 4 tackles a game in his third year
At just 20yo that season as well. They were draft eligible a year earlier back then.

Here is their stat comparison at 21yo:

C3E3E587-3D8C-4B1A-94A5-BBF5A07D9515.png
Brownlow votes:
Hodge: 15
Stocker: 0

B&F finishes:
Hodge: 1st
Stocker: 11 or lower

Last edited:
At just 20yo that season as well. They were draft eligible a year earlier back then.

Here is their stat comparison at 21yo:

View attachment 1315610
Brownlow votes:
Hodge: 15
Stocker: 0

B&F finishes:
Hodge: 1st
Stocker: 11 or lower
People do forget that abit. Players like Buddy, Ablett, Roughead all would now have an extra season playing juniors. Buddy kicked 73 goals in the year he turned 20. Gibbs was dominating games in the SANFL a year younger then he could now be drafted.
We also forget some players like Weitering and McKay are virtually the same age as SPS, Setterfield, Taranto and McCluggage

Pretty funny how everyone is held so accountable on BF. The poster was saying Stocker was a late developer and gave hodge as an example. Cue the hysterical “Stocker is nowhere near as good as hodge”. Spare me. Hodge is an all-time great. Stocker has hardness, heart and ability, is in the early stages of his career. Carlton supporters would be ecstatic if he became half the player hodge was.

Non-Carlton supporters would forget he missed a large chunk of footy with injury in 2019 (his first year), then missed another season with mental health issues due to the Covid hubs in 2020.

He has played 22 games..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back