Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Good recommendation :thumbsu:.

I loved The Florida Project and I loved this too. Sean Baker writes interesting scripts about low socioeconomic status Americans then gets good performances from non-professional and inexperienced actors.

I was in two minds about the
huge highway vehicle crash. It was a bit out of kilter with the rest of the movie. But it served to show what a shitty person Mikey was. He didn't care about all the victims and was positively celebrating his friend taking all the blame for it. Just being picky, but I think a smaller, more personal incident would have done the same job and had more emotional impact

What did you make of the ending?

Playing the song backwards reflected that he had gone full circle and was back to where he was at the start of the movie. Or maybe Bye Bye Bye backwards and Strawberry shown as his fantasy pr0n star represents a new beginning for him (until he fu**s up again).

7/10
Yeah I saw it similarly to you.

I interpreted the ending
to mean he'd come to the same spot he found himself in at the beginning of the film. That this was probably the 3rd or 4th time he'd repeated this cycle, and would continue doing it without learning or caring.

I really enjoyed the last duel. I thought the story was fascinating and well done. Afleck was making me laugh coz of the hair, he wasnt bad but it was a weird role for him.

Speaking of Alfeck. The Tender Bar. 0/10. What an utterly pointless film. I would to know what was so interesting about this guys story that it deserved a film let alone his memoir which i assume was a best seller. All i could think was.why.does this exist? Was it oscar bait? if so for whom coz nobody deserves one. Made me think of Will Smith' Concussion as a movie that didnt need to exist.

Mother/Android - ok this was dumb and not super interesting. The ending was ok and I thought Chloe Grace-Maretz was good in the final scenes. Im not sure what she is doing with her career. She seems happy enough to lead these b grade movies but maybe she should go for smaller roles in better films for better directors, as I dont think she is talentless. Perhaps Vaughan can reignite her career with the kick-ass restart he is planning.
Anyway if there was a sequel to this id prob check it out as the movie ends in a semi-interesting place for her character.

Yeah I saw it similarly to you.

I interpreted the ending
to mean he'd come to the same spot he found himself in at the beginning of the film. That this was probably the 3rd or 4th time he'd repeated this cycle, and would continue doing it without learning or caring.

Not that im a expert on this but he came across as a textbook sociopath. Only interested in what he wants and no empathy for anyone else. Yeah some parts were funny but alot was disturbing particularly when Strawberry was involved.

The Worst Person in the World - told in twelve chapters, with a prologue and an epilogue, about a 30ish woman's love life and family life in Oslo. Incredibly charming and enjoyable, with a star-making performance from Renate Reinsve in the lead role (she won the Best Actress award at Cannes for this film). It takes a turn in the third act which I think I found slightly jarring and I'm not sure entirely worked, but this remained a moving, excellent drama, refreshingly honest about millennial living.

The Tragedy of Macbeth - Joel Coen's first outing without his brother and without the brothers' trademark humour, this is an incredibly bleak telling of the classic play. Highly stylised, the film looks like a German expressionist classic from the 1920s or early 1930s. I've thought for some time that at this point the most radical thing you could do with a Shakespeare adaptation is to almost do it straight - Coen has basically done this and, indeed, it is a fresh and compelling take. The witches, borderline parodied and overdone at this point, manage to bring a legitimate terror and horror. Frances McDormand's Lady Macbeth is a strong one, and Denzel as Macbeth feels like he finally got a role that befits his reputation as an actor.

Wanted to leave not even half way in but stuck it out and it didn't improve.
Sounds almost exactly the same as my experience with the second one. I was on holidays in a small town and there was nothing else showing at the cinema, but I really felt like seeing a movie. It was absolutely terrible.
The Worst Person in the World - told in twelve chapters, with a prologue and an epilogue, about a 30ish woman's love life and family life in Oslo. Incredibly charming and enjoyable, with a star-making performance from Renate Reinsve in the lead role (she won the Best Actress award at Cannes for this film). It takes a turn in the third act which I think I found slightly jarring and I'm not sure entirely worked, but this remained a moving, excellent drama, refreshingly honest about millennial living.

The Tragedy of Macbeth - Joel Coen's first outing without his brother and without the brothers' trademark humour, this is an incredibly bleak telling of the classic play. Highly stylised, the film looks like a German expressionist classic from the 1920s or early 1930s. I've thought for some time that at this point the most radical thing you could do with a Shakespeare adaptation is to almost do it straight - Coen has basically done this and, indeed, it is a fresh and compelling take. The witches, borderline parodied and overdone at this point, manage to bring a legitimate terror and horror. Frances McDormand's Lady Macbeth is a strong one, and Denzel as Macbeth feels like he finally got a role that befits his reputation as an actor.
Oooo I hadn't heard of that Macbeth one. Adding it to my watch list now!

C'mon C'mon

Joaquin Phoenix plays an eccentric artist of sorts (so, Joaquin Phoenix) that takes in his obnoxious young nephew when his mother is called away for an emergency.

Shot in black and white, set in both New York and California, and made by Mike Mills (20th Century Women), it's super indie and admittedly I found the first 20 minutes painful, but it picks up and the dynamic of Joaquin and the kid becomes enjoyable to watch.

Intrusion (Netflix) Enjoyable, if not predictable, home invasion movie. 6/10

Rounders 1998

Matt Damon, Edward Norton and John Melko-vi-cchhh

This is the standard all poker movies are held against

A movie highlighting the underground poker scene in New York? city and dreaming of that one big score

It still rings true today about the need to grind away and win/lose what you can afford in comfortable games or stepping up a level (or 3) and losing/winning a lot more - sometimes a finger or broken bones

The language is fairly consistent to todays poker idiom and the psychology is spot on. In an era before GTO and bet sizing the story doesnt feel that dated.

John Malkovich is fine until he opens his mouth and this terrible Ressian iccent es spo-ken oe-k

Edward Norton you want to just say shut up and Matt Damon - who looks like a college kid plays a college kid drawn to his passion over career

9/10 - 1 off for Malkovich

The Tragedy of Macbeth

I read nothing about it before I went in and wasn’t really expecting it to be such a direct interpretation but s**t it was good. The witches were disturbing. I would watch Frances McD read the phone book. It got better and better as they descended into madness. And bloody heck what a BEAUTIFUL film. Every scene was just stunning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rounders 1998

Matt Damon, Edward Norton and John Melko-vi-cchhh

This is the standard all poker movies are held against

A movie highlighting the underground poker scene in New York? city and dreaming of that one big score

It still rings true today about the need to grind away and win/lose what you can afford in comfortable games or stepping up a level (or 3) and losing/winning a lot more - sometimes a finger or broken bones

The language is fairly consistent to todays poker idiom and the psychology is spot on. In an era before GTO and bet sizing the story doesnt feel that dated.

John Malkovich is fine until he opens his mouth and this terrible Ressian iccent es spo-ken oe-k

Edward Norton you want to just say shut up and Matt Damon - who looks like a college kid plays a college kid drawn to his passion over career

Add 1 back on for Gretchen Mol

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

Rounders 1998

Love this movie although it's been too long since I've seen it. Pretty confident this is the last movie I purchased on video at a time I was loving poker. Malkovich possibly giving the worst Russian accent since Sean Connery in red October. For me though, it adds to the movie in a so bad it's good way.

In mai club, I vill splash de pot, ven ever

da *

I pleeeze.

Jungle Cruise… there’s nothing new here, it’s a mix of Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones and a little African Queen. But it’s fun enough, Johnson and Blunt have good chemistry, Jesse Plemons and Paul Giamatti are having a blast overacting, and it breezes along. 6.5/10.

The Dark Horse - NZ movie based true story starring Cliff Curtis who is terrific in lead role of a chess prodigy with bipolar who helps disadvantaged kids. Won a few film awards - very good gritty movie - 8/10

Watched Mother/Android on Netflix last night with no expectation. Wasn't too bad, follows a heavily pregnant woman's battle to get somewhere safe before she and her partner are killed by Androids(who've decided to try and wipe out the human race).

It's nothing particularly new, but the 2 leads are excellent and the ending leaves you with a WTF would I do situation..

solid 3.5/5

Last edited:
Watched Mother/Android on Netflix last night with no expectation. Wasn't too bad, follows a heavily pregnant woman's battle to get somewhere safe before she and her partner are killed by Androids(who've decided to try and wipe out the human race).

It's nothing particularly new, but the 2 leads are excellent and the ending leaves you with a WTF would I do situation..

solid 3.5/10.
Did you mean 3.5 out of 5? Otherwise, I'm really scratching my head ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back