Game Day AFLW R1 v WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a bit concerned at 3/4 that we might not run it out, and they might get a lucky break like a free kick in front of goals or a 50m and win the game.

E. Antonio, Bowers, Miller, O'Sullivan, Runnalls my Top 5. Also liked Tighe's ruckwork and Pugh maybe the best of a solid defence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make sure to tune into the podcast this week where Emma gets roasted by Hayley Miller for that missed goal.
I haven’t been this excited since Tabs went on the boy’s podcast

Let's hope due diligence was done and Swanson was reported! To think, she was the player they selected as their inaugural captain!

The pressure was excellent.

And the team set up behind the ball exceptionally well in that last quarter.

Just one thing though - what's West Coast doing playing Hooker as a defender? Silly.

??? Yes. Don't bury your head in the sand.

43% is terrible and we were lucky that we won more of it than WC because their skills were better. We'll be in trouble against better teams.
Undoubtedly kicking straight for goal is a big advantage, however the Lions kicked 5.11 in R1 last year. Plus sprinkled their year with scores like 5.11 (again), 3.7, 7.13, 4.11 (x2).

They corrected it by the time finals came around and that is the key.

??? Yes. Don't bury your head in the sand.

43% is terrible and we were lucky that we won more of it than WC because their skills were better. We'll be in trouble against better teams.

Who are the teams that are skilful by foot? In front of goals or around the ground the kicking % isn't much good. There is the odd kick here and there but on the whole there are a lot of players who cannot kick 20-30m with accuracy more than 5/10 kicks.

It is why if we can get Cain, Miller, Turbo, Pugh and even Cuthbertson the ball in space we look a lot better. E Antonio has a decent kick as well. Of those Cain has the most penetrating kick based on the eye test. Gabby has a neat kick and is generally skilled as well (did kick from 45 on the run). Although she struggles with any switch over 30m, and probably needs to stop taking that option.

Having said that Toff > Cain to Gabby HBF 2nd quarter 10min mark, was a dogs breakfast in the skills dept (none of that was Gabby's fault).

Notes from the game:

EB Antonio: Still takes it on a little too much... but then her goal will be tough to beat for the goal of the year I would think. Last season I thought she was down on her previous form. The league seems to have caught onto her ball fake right, run left. Good game today - hopefully she continues to build as she can be a point of difference.

Turbo: Doing turbo things... hard, fit, fast, skilful and smart.

Houghton: doesn't look as fit as previous seasons. Best lead and mark forward by a mile. Yips in front of goal on the set shot.

Gabby: Liked her playing up the ground. Smart, clean player. Looks the fittest she has been. Should improve the midfield significantly over the season.

K Antonio: Barely sighted. Lead, mark and good delivery to Houghton in the first was class. Did almost nothing for the remainder of the game.

Roux will add a lot to the team. Ruck looks dangerous, Strom looking like she has improved again.

Gooch: Good to see her playing again. Always sad to see it in a WCE jumper. She hasn't done anything to change some of the things that cost her a place in our team. Carrying 10-12kg more than she should be. Has good foot skills, positioning etc, but I wouldn't think there will be a place on an AFLW list for her or for a couple of other WCE players if they don't improve that as the league continues to improve.

WCE - Looked to have improved. Have at least 5 players who are far too heavy and it costs them late in quarters and towards the end of the game. WCE captain was playing typical scum, tantrum sniper role to Shuey perfection. All she needed to do was add the diving 'attempt to punch the ball' that lands no where near the ball that Shuey has perfected and she will have it covered.

FFC: Good win. Hopefully kicking improves.

A massive crowd out side struggling to get in when we arrived. We missed the entire first quarter.
Well done to the crowd controllers in getting people into the ground.
I am sure that the WAFL would dearly love to see a crowd like this at their games every week.
Souths members area was full. I am sure Souths will love the girls playing there during the season.
The home of WA football, Fremantle oval, looked in great shape.
A good hard fought game where the Eagles just lacked that bit of experience.
I am going to have to study the girls profiles to work out who is who again.
Well done girls.

Great win and thought that bowers and Antonio were deserved medal winners. Slightly controversial topic - Kara Antonio (formerly Donnellan) looked like a broken footballer last year and today was more of the same. If I was on the Freo AFLW list, I would absolutely be trying to grab her position. I think the game has now passed her and she would be best suited in our coaching group. Sad, but it happens to nearly every long term player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back